Beyond EMT-P

Keeven83

Forum Probie
I was curious if anyone knew about other license options beyond medic. For instance I have heard of "critical care paramedic" and then some people taking a bridge program to gain RN licensure as well. What type of programs are there? What type of other jobs would be available to you with these certifications. Any info would be great.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I was curious if anyone knew about other license options beyond medic. For instance I have heard of "critical care paramedic" .

There are only about 5 states that have a license or certification for a Critical Care Paramedic. However, there is an abundance of programs and ambulance companies that have a "title" or cert handed out for the Critical Care Paramedic where the training can be anywhere from 2 hours to two months. UMBC has a program that is about 2 weeks in length or about 80 hours. These certs just skim the surface of a basic overview class for critical care medicine. With additional education, training and experience you can be a Flight Paramedic or work a CCT truck in some states.

and then some people taking a bridge program to gain RN licensure as well. What type of programs are there? What type of other jobs would be available to you with these certifications. Any info would be great.

Bridge programs are not always the best idea but once you get your RN license the opportunites are almost unlimited. But again, it depends on how hard you want to work at gaining additional education and experience. The 2 year degree will get your foot in the door but as with many other healthcare professions, some are finding it is just not enough. Be prepared to continue your education for whatever route you choose.

Last edited by a moderator:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
The organization that awards the FP-C (Flight Paramedic) cert will be offering a CCP-C cert by the end of this year (Critical Care Paramedic). Once you get some field experience, you can independently study for the exam.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The organization that awards the FP-C (Flight Paramedic) cert will be offering a CCP-C cert by the end of this year (Critical Care Paramedic). Once you get some field experience, you can independently study for the exam.

You can accumulate several different "certs" and not have set foot inside a hospital critical care unit or even a CCT truck.

RNs can also test for the Flight RN cert but the certifications that carry the most weight in their profession require proof of experience and education in that area of specialty before they take the test.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
You can accumulate several different "certs" and not have set foot inside a hospital critical care unit or even a CCT truck.

RNs can also test for the Flight RN cert but the certifications that carry the most weight in their profession require proof of experience and education in that area of specialty before they take the test.

The agency assumes that you have significant experience in CCT, and states that the CCP-C is not meant to be an entry level credential, but rather one that allows proof of a seasoned CCT paramedic's knowledge. I have heard that the test will be as intense as the FP-C test.

I believe it is a good thing for paramedics. It is no ITLS or other ABC class.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yes, but this is the only requirement for the test from the BCCTPC website:

Q: Who is eligible to sit for the exam?
A: Anyone with a valid paramedic license is eligible.

Some will start accumulating an alphabet soup list right after they get their Paramedic cert. However, in any well designed interview process it will be fairly easy to know who just have paper certs obtained from memorization for an exam and weekend cert mills and those who are knowledgeable clinicians.

8jimi8

CFRN
Go get your BN; you'll get a job anywhere pretty easy
this information is inaccurate, that is if by "BN" you mean "BSN."

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
this information is inaccurate, that is if by "BN" you mean "BSN."

Correct, I know of two new RN's that have not been able to find nursing positions as of yet. Majority of the nurse recruiters are seeking at the least of two years experience and then the starting salary has dropped more than usual in many places.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Correct, I know of two new RN's that have not been able to find nursing positions as of yet. Majority of the nurse recruiters are seeking at the least of two years experience and then the starting salary has dropped more than usual in many places.

R/r 911

There are still positions out there although it may not be your dream job right away. Those with the best luck are the traditional students who have made an impression on staff and managers while doing their clinicals. Those who take shortcuts and graduate from mail order entry programs or inadequate bridge programs where they missed the basic fundamentals of nursing will find themselves at a disadvantage.

Also, there are still traveling assignments available to the experienced and flexible RNs (and RRTs) who still prefer to work that route.

The smaller community hospitals may have employees who are hanging on to their jobs but the larger cities still have job hoppers which creates openings.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, but this is the only requirement for the test from the BCCTPC website:

Some will start accumulating an alphabet soup list right after they get their Paramedic cert. However, in any well designed interview process it will be fairly easy to know who just have paper certs obtained from memorization for an exam and weekend cert mills and those who are knowledgeable clinicians.

Agree. Hopefully the test is used properly by the majority of those taking it.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
MrBrown is from New Zealand where the degree is a Bachelor of Nursing and in the U.S. it is a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.

Yeah .... I already knew that I just like to stir the pot

*Gets his big wooden spoon, mwahahaha

-Brownie

OP
OP
K

Keeven83

Forum Probie
So is it pretty tough to get hired as a flight medic? ( education aside). I hear stories from people at work that they are looking for 5+ years experience at a busy service,top of your class, and that you must be under a certain height and weight. Any truth in that?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So is it pretty tough to get hired as a flight medic? ( education aside). I hear stories from people at work that they are looking for 5+ years experience at a busy service,top of your class, and that you must be under a certain height and weight. Any truth in that?

From talking to flight teams when I did IFT all of the above is true. The height and weight thing especially for rotors.

Jinx

Forum Crew Member
From talking to flight teams when I did IFT all of the above is true. The height and weight thing especially for rotors.

Great :rolleyes: Do you know what the height limit is and if this would be the same for Canadian flight paramedics?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Great :rolleyes: Do you know what the height limit is and if this would be the same for Canadian flight paramedics?

Sorry but I have no idea. You might want to give one of hte companies a call and ask, they should be able to tell you

VentMedic

Forum Chief
IAFP
http://www.flightparamedic.org/index.aspx

Frequently Asked Questions about Critical Care and Flight Paramedicine
http://www.flightparamedic.org/LearnAbout.htm

Height and weight should fall within "normal" healthy guidelines with the cut off for weight being around 200 - 220 pounds.​

The education for Canadian Flight Paramedics is much, much more extensive than that for those in the U.S. at entry level.​

Sample of U.S. jobs:​

Jinx

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I'm 6'5 and my healthy weight would be about 230-240(I think, we use metric) so I'd say my height would be an issue. Thats disappointing :(