Best paramedic text?

MrsEMT

Forum Ride Along
Just wondering what the best textbook is for Paramedic? I will start my course in January, just looking to get ahead of the game and wanting suggestions. Thanks in advance

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
If you can find out what book they will use for school, us that one.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
I asked the program what book/edition we were going to use and got mine on ebay- saved $100

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The best text is the one the program you'll be joining will use. they're all middling quality and written to a 10th grade level. There's really no GOOD paramedic text.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I wish I could have bought a paramedic text for my kindle. I felt guilty when I got rid of them, but I certainly wasn't going to lug 'em around.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Oh- also take into consideration how you learn best. I absolutely need the 15,000 pound book (the book not the 15,000 pounds). I envied the people who could ise their kindle/computer. I am a paper and pencil person 100%

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I agree with transport jockey, from what I've seen none are really any better than the others. A good pharmacology book is valuable though, I think Pharmacology for the prehospital professional by Jeffrey Guy is a good one.

Everyone learns different though. We used the Nancy Caroline book filled with childish dumbed down analogies to explain something that shouldn't require a dumbed down analogy to understand. But I guess if someone is a little on the dumb side they need all the help they can get.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Just remember each publisher puts emphasis on different aspects of paramedicine. Where I went to school and where I taught ( different Paramedic program ) taught out of one text and used the test bank of another text altogether. This at least helped ( nothing is perfect) assure understanding of a complex concept instead of simple memorization.

If you have access to another text it will pay off in reviewing that also

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have the mosby paramedic text book, the mosby 2015 drug reference, 12 Lead EKG Confidence A Step By Step Guide, Rapid interpretation of EKG 6th edition (which everyone has told me was the best book to learn EKGs), the only EKG book you'll ever need, Paramedic practice today, & ITLS for emergency care providers.

If you think any of those books would be helpful, PM me your email address.

floridamed224

Forum Crew Member
I just got the list of books I will need for paramedic class. Our main text will be Brady's Paramedic Care: Principles and Practice. Anyone had any luck with this set? Our instructor has decided he wants us to use the digital books. I believe it is a total of 22 books. Personally I do better with hard copies of books but financially I know that is not feasible. I guess if I really like or use one of the books I can always buy a hard copy of it. If anyone is interested, here is the link to the books we need http://www.pearsonhighered.com/digitallibrary/paramedic/students/get-registered/buy-access.html .

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey guys, sorry to bring back this thread from last year. I am looking at picking up a new paramedic text simply for review and reference. Mines over 12 years old. Nancy Caroline vs Mosby vs Brady vs Others? Who's the best in your opinion?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I can only speak for the ones I used, which was Mosby. I did supplement it with other resources on my own, but usually because I wanted to go a bit more in depth or get a better visual. I think Brady was what I used for EMT and I thought it was really good, so if there Paramedic is written in the same style with good info I think that would be good as well.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have a pdf of the newer big white Mosby paramedic text...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd be curious to hear what Pittsburgh uses for textbooks - same goes for any of the college-level programs. That being said, I would be surprised if it was much different than any other paramedic course, with the exception of the electives.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I just downloaded the Brady set (printed in 2016) on Amazon kindle for a "preview" before I buy. So far, I am actually impressed.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I just downloaded the Brady set (printed in 2016) on Amazon kindle for a "preview" before I buy. So far, I am actually impressed.

May I ask, what did your bachelors program use for their medic textbook?