Bag Valve Mask on the NREMT

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
I was wondering how I should handle a question like the one that follows:

You arrive at the scene of a track meet, where your patient, a 20 year old male complains of shortness of breath. He is breathing at 24 times a minute with good tidal volume. How do give o2?

A. Non reabreather
B. Nasal Cannula
C. BVM
D. FROPVD

I would say A, but since he is breathing at a slightly higher rate would you need to bag him?

I made that question up, not a test question.

ABEMS

Forum Crew Member
If his tidal volume is good why would you bag him if hes breathing at 24 BPM. You would only bag someone if their resp are over 30, but even then not everyone will accept the BVM.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If the patient has good tidal volume then there is no point in using a BVM. If the patient is breathing at 30 times per minute with poor tidal volume then a BVM might be considered.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
why would you give him 15LPM of oxygen on a NRB?

Because he has good chest rise and fall, but he is feeling short of breath...our class was taught that we basically give NRM 02 to almost all patients who have breathing issues.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
If his tidal volume is good why would you bag him if hes breathing at 24 BPM. You would only bag someone if their resp are over 30, but even then not everyone will accept the BVM.

My book has a chart that says 16-20 is normal range for that age range, so I was confused as to what determines if its "too high" a rate.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My book has a chart that says 16-20 is normal range for that age range, so I was confused as to what determines if its "too high" a rate.

Most books say that if it under 8 or above 24 resperations per minute then you should consider BVM. However you have to use that with your other assessment findings.

How many people are breathing over 24 per minute after working out? Does John Q. Citizen get a BVM after working out? Nope.

The key to the question is "good tidal volume".

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Most books say that if it under 8 or above 24 resperations per minute then you should consider BVM. However you have to use that with your other assessment findings.

How many people are breathing over 24 per minute after working out? Does John Q. Citizen get a BVM after working out? Nope.

The key to the question is "good tidal volume".

Alright. I know what I would personally do, I would assume the rate is due to his being in a freakin race lol. I was just wondering for the NREMT exam.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
nasal cannula.
Or (E.): TVWPAW*

(Take vitals, watch pt ,and wait)

KennyABC

Forum Probie
NREMT answer? 15 via NRB.

Real world? Zip, zero, nada...

unforgettably you are correct with the real world application because i have witnessed this in training. i assure every one i will be the guy using the one-time-use-only NRBs because THAT IS WHY THEY ARE THERE, give your patients o2!

Anjel

Forum Angel
unforgettably you are correct with the real world application because i have witnessed this in training. i assure every one i will be the guy using the one-time-use-only NRBs because THAT IS WHY THEY ARE THERE, give your patients o2!

*facepalm*

You do know that oxygen is a medication and is contraindicated at times, right?

jwk

Forum Captain

You arrive at the scene of a track meet, where your patient, a 20 year old male complains of shortness of breath. He is breathing at 24 times a minute with good tidal volume. How do give o2?

A. Non reabreather
B. Nasal Cannula
C. BVM
D. FROPVD

I would say A, but since he is breathing at a slightly higher rate would you need to bag him?

Since you made the question up - it's a poor question, because the answer would be "none of the above". You have given ZERO indications to administer oxygen to this particular patient.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

:nosoupfortroll:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

Care to explain the mechanisim by which O2 helps the majority of conditions?

:waiting:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Lol I do like that though process, though :D Cric kits are in the ambulances! Cric your patients, medics! THAT IS WHY THEY ARE THERE! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Lol I do like that though process, though :D Cric kits are in the ambulances! Cric your patients, medics! THAT IS WHY THEY ARE THERE! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was thinking the same thing! lol

I have epi pens. EPI FOR EVERYONE!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

A. Non reabreather
B. Nasal Cannula
C. BVM
D. FROPVD

I would say that there's not enough info to make an appropriate determination about how much to give, if any. An athlete who is breathing 24 times per minute could very easily be attempting to recover from a bout of exercise... I have seen this many, many times. I would start at zero flow and go up from there, depending upon what I find during my assessment.

Or I could just whip out the demand valve and let him breathe in at a flow rate of, say, 100 LPM???

I'm sure that NREMT's answer would be 15LPM by NRB. And no, I wouldn't pull out the BVM.

KennyABC

Forum Probie
:nosoupfortroll:

whats wrong with letting the athlete hold the nrb in his hand and takes a few sips from it? i know if i were just racing around i wouldn't want a canula up my nose or even a nrb rubber band over my ears.

but then again what do i know... i'm still just a student...