Assignment: Afghanistan

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
I stay strictly behind the wire

As do I

There is never an occasion (in my job) to go outside the wire. There's been a few medics who have tried it... they were sent home post haste.

DPM

Forum Captain
As do I

There is never an occasion (in my job) to go outside the wire. There's been a few medics who have tried it... they were sent home post haste.

They tried it?! How did that happen? The only Civilians I ever saw in our FOBs were press types, and they were cleared to come out on the ground with us... but I can't imagine a Civilian paramedic being much good out on the ground!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have gone out many times...fuel is cheaper and I have done some "local food" runs. :)

When you have the option of paying $1.21 per liter versus $3 per liter....

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I operate out of 3 locations...not a good idea but I been doing it for years.

DPM

Forum Captain
We used to collect up the brass from around our PB after the big contacts and trade it with the locals for goats / chickens / bread etc. It helped relieve the monotony of Spam, Rice and Peas... until TFF found out and put a stop to it :sad:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I turned down a chance top ride along as we dropped a local off after work near an airfield. Nothing personal, just an unnecessary thing to do for a FOBIT (heck, HOBBIT) like me.

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
They tried it?! How did that happen? The only Civilians I ever saw in our FOBs were press types, and they were cleared to come out on the ground with us... but I can't imagine a Civilian paramedic being much good out on the ground!

It happened down at LNK. (I'm told) a couple of Medics decided to sneak out at night, on a few occasions, with Marines on patrol. I guess they wanted to see some action. Sucks for them, and I hope it was worth it :sad:

I have gone out many times...fuel is cheaper and I have done some "local food" runs. :)

When you have the option of paying $1.21 per liter versus $3 per liter....

I would love to go out into the surrounding towns, frequent the shops and sample local cuisine. I am a romantic when it comes to experiencing different cultures. I had the opportunity to do it a few weeks back, but decided it wasn't worth risking my job over. Maybe when I get close to EOC :p

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
It happened down at LNK. (I'm told) a couple of Medics decided to sneak out at night, on a few occasions, with Marines on patrol. I guess they wanted to see some action. Sucks for them, and I hope it was worth it :sad:

I would love to go out into the surrounding towns, frequent the shops and sample local cuisine. I am a romantic when it comes to experiencing different cultures. I had the opportunity to do it a few weeks back, but decided it wasn't worth risking my job over. Maybe when I get close to EOC :p

LOL @ Leatherneck.....umm exactly what or whom did they expect to see? Did they not look out the window while flying in? There is NOTHING for miles....and has been no "action" there...ever.

Regarding local food---I employ a local national and I also have a trusted agent who I use to acquire things--they both have brought me food on several occasions. If you ever find yourself on KAF wanting a different nibble, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Medics in Nam purportedly would strip off the red cross (metaphorically speaking) and go on patrol or firing the door gun of a hog into the forest.

EOC...see, people get sloppy the last quarter-mile and get hurt, busted, or cause others to get the same.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Medics in Nam purportedly would strip off the red cross

attracting sniper fire probably had something to do with that too.

mycrofft

Metaphorically...they already had the crosses off unless they were rear echelon.

DPM

Forum Captain
Our medics would come out on the ground and when we got contacted you could bet a week's wages they'd get rounds down range like everyone else. They carry rifles, and it's not like the Taliban care about the laws of armed conflict...

mycrofft

Yeah, nothing suspends the Geneva Conventions faster than the other guy trying to ruin your day.
BTW, my old unit (155th Tactical Clinic/Neb Air Nat Guard) took the state machine gun run and shoot three years running and our docs were always in the finals.

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
If you ever find yourself on KAF wanting a different nibble, let me know.

I'll actually be heading (back again) to KAF shortly, but I try not to linger there, as I bounce around between FOBs... it's hazardous to my mental health :p

I like to shop/wander for an hour or so between flights, but do my best to avoid staying overnight. I'll definitely make an effort to catch up with you sometime next month, before I rotate stateside for holiday. Do you have Roshan?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Sent in PM