Assignment: Afghanistan

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
If everything goes as planned, I will be deploying to Afghanistan within the next couple of weeks. Finally finished navigating the guantlet of endless paperwork/forms, after accepting a contract offer, and would like to know if anyone here is currently in country. I'll be in the southern region (FOB), but not sure which as of yet. I will be operating in a static non-combat assignment.

I've delved through numerous forum threads and blogs, and would like to pick the brain of someone (here) who is currently in the region. This is my fiirst international assignment, so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
:ph34r:

I can neither confirm nor deny any knowledge.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Feel free to PM me with your questions.

I have been there almost 6 years...and am now a business owner there.

Sounds like you signed up with OHS and will be headed to LNK.

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
:ph34r:

I can neither confirm nor deny any knowledge.

Feel free to PM me with your questions.

I have been there almost 6 years...and am now a business owner there.

Sounds like you signed up with OHS and will be headed to LNK.

Thanks for the replies!

Give a couple of days to reorganize my thoughts... and I'll toss a few questions your way
thumbup.gif

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Don't trust the locals. Ever. EVER!

This was true for Iraq, I can't imagine it's different there.

Remember, many of the contractors are unarmed. USE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, move in teams or at least don't go alone. You will be surprised at how quickly safe becomes unsafe.

If you end up on one of the awesome bases, you'll hear the sirens. Don't be the retard that runs 500m to a bunker when you could have proned out and not looked dumb.

Carry a good, weapon-useable knife if possible. A lot of the locals are scared enough of blades to not want to rape/rob/stab you if you have a way to defend yourself.

Be ready for some godforsaken heat. It's going to suck.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
And feel free to completely disregard the above post...

RocketMedic

And there goes akflightmedic proving he has very little idea of what he speaks about. Fobs can be dangerous. Don't trust the locals. Be polite, but never trust them.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

And which part of your post demonstrates knowledge of Afghanistan? Or are they gross assumptions made on your Iraq experiences?

AK not knowing what he has talked about....hmmm, I have spent close to the past 6 years in Afghanistan, been on many bases, FOBs and COBs (worse than a FOB).

Maintaining situational awareness was about the only item of value in your post, carrying a knife is always a good idea too--however both of these things are good ideas no matter where you are...be it Kalamazoo, MI or Shindand, Afghanistan.

Regardless, my experience and knowledge of the region speaks for itself from those who know me and my past posts. I await your PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

Hadj is Hadj. Iraq and Afghanistan are different, yes, but they both suck. I don't know every detail of the (mostly useless) contract medical jobs, but I do know that you have no leg to stand on when discussing security and safety on a base.

If you really trust the locals, you're a fool.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't trust the locals. Ever. EVER!

I have several Afghani friends, the majority of the local national (LN) population is looking for all the same things we are...stability, income, and a better way of life for their families. I have had them bring me food from their houses and taken meals with them in my compound. Yes, I have gotten sick after doing this, but then again I have gotten sick in the Philippines, Dubai and America (arby's, McDs, Dominoes and some random salad bars and public buffets).

So this statement says to me--I have never been but it has to be exactly like Iraq. Yep, exactly the same way Chinese and Japanese are the same.

Remember, many of the contractors are unarmed. USE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, move in teams or at least don't go alone. You will be surprised at how quickly safe becomes unsafe.

Almost ALL contractors are unarmed (except for the security companies). There are very strict rules on who can and cannot have a weapon in Afghanistan, it is a huge drawn out process now-way more difficult than it was just a few short years ago.

If you end up on one of the awesome bases, you'll hear the sirens. Don't be the retard that runs 500m to a bunker when you could have proned out and not looked dumb.

The rule is upon impact or hearing of the siren (if they have one) is everyone drops to the ground for 2 minutes. No one ever runs directly for a bunker, so do not worry about "looking the fool" because evidently coolness is of major concern when in a war zone.

Truth of the matter is a rocket comes with your name on it, a mortar comes to whom this may concern. Therefore once you hear the impact occur, if you are still alive, then the message was not for you. If you hear the siren you get down to avoid incoming or shrapnel after it impacts.

Carry a good, weapon-useable knife if possible. A lot of the locals are scared enough of blades to not want to rape/rob/stab you if you have a way to defend yourself.

Carry a knife for many reasons...none of which have ever been to threaten or intimidate LNs. I have yet to see any living everyday as a pirate...looking to rape, pillage and plunder. This is a very asinine statement and is collectively saying that all LNs want to rape, steal or stab you. This could apply anywhere...New York or downtown Houston.

LNs you will encounter on any military installation have already been screened to work on the base. Does this mean none of them are bad guys? Absolutely not...but this does mean a pre screen has occurred. If a 3 letter organization can get themselves blown up by a LN on a secret squirrel base, then you too can be harmed or killed...but again, this could be Anywhere, USA.

Be ready for some godforsaken heat. It's going to suck.

Right now it is cold! This is why cold weather survival is part of your deployment training. From Bagram north to Kabul and to the west it is SNOWING and it is cold!!!

I spent months at a FOB which no longer exists called Chagharan...I was at 9200 feet altitude. It was 50 below ZERO in the winter months.

The majority of Afghanistan is at altitude, it is a mountainous desert. If it is not snowing such as at Kandahar, then you will be in a brief yet chilling rainy season. Kandahar is at 3200 feet...I actually wear pants now as opposed to shorts (I am a Yeti and thrive in lower temps).

During the summer, yes it gets hot..it is a dry heat, think AZ not FL filled with humidity. Temps get NO WHERE near the temps in Iraq (yes I can reference IRQ cause I have been there done that). Kandahar again is one of the more hotter areas, temps hit a high of 120s...have been some short periods where it almost hit 130 but this was brief and not the norm.

For the most parts, it remains in the low 100s and is very tolerable. Drink plenty of water, stay hydrated, dress appropriately (like you would anywhere) and all is good.

I apologize that I do not know what I am talking about and have so very little experience to contribute anything of value to this conversation. Maybe someone who has never been there or only been there briefly can assist???

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Hadj is Hadj. Iraq and Afghanistan are different, yes, but they both suck. I don't know every detail of the (mostly useless) contract medical jobs, but I do know that you have no leg to stand on when discussing security and safety on a base.

Wow, impressive! You know me well and know all I have done. Pretty damn good!

Thank you for admitting that you know nothing of the region and are giving baseless information.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Maybe someone who has never been there or only been there briefly can assist???

Perhaps I could just offer the new guy perspective?

I have only met one national, he seems as decent a person as I have ever met anywhere.

I am not a soldier, I do not want to be a soldier, and I do not dress up and pretend to be one. I don't even wear boots.

It is warmer here now than when I was at home. Some nights are colder than others, I have never needed a hat and I do not tolerate cold well.

I am not impressed by the idea a hadj is a hadj, that is an absolutely ignorant thing to say.

I have lived with people from many nations, I have several friends from this region I have spent some of the toughest years of my life with and I would trust my life and the lives of my family to them without hesitation or doubt.

I work here with some of the finest people I have ever had the honor to know, only a minority of which are Americans.

I do not carry a knife, except in the DFAC, but it is plastic to cut the (let me be generous) beef...

Undoubtably I am on a cush base. I have felt more threatened in some of the neighborhoods I worked in in the US.

I was not prewarned about the rocket attacks, But I found out about it my first day. I have yet to even hear an impact, though there have been a few alarms. One I didn't even hear the alarm, only the all clear after words.

From my perspective, you are better off outside than in the buildings if a rocket does make it this far, there is no shortage of ditches and cover. The buildings, especially the DFACs are where I feel most threatened, because They are so tightly packed there is no way to have situational awareness more than a few feet.

Do not bring anything black. The dust here is relentless. (most of my worldly posessions are black, so it has been difficult for me)

My coat is too heavy, it is not cold enough here for it.

I have a family I expect to return to in good health, I do not take foolish gambles. I would like to stay longer, but responsibility prohibits it and I would come back here again.

I have not met akflightmedic personally, but his word is good as gold. Listen to him.

RocketMedic

I think that you have been living on the sheltered bits. Once you start going out and seeing these people in their villages, living and working with them off the fob, you will see what I mean.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Generic observation

Imagine if say Belgian troops invaded or just drove into your home town and they stayed aloof, didn't speak English, maybe they got into a fight with some bikers or something.

What sort of people would approach them and get buddy-buddy, especially before they started offered real jobs? People looking for some sort of deal or advantage, maybe a way to emigrate. Over time and if the troops were not aggressive to everyone, more normal and stable relations would develop, and you would have to go to GI bars or black markets to meet the fixers and hustlers.

Would you want your sister (or bother) dating or marrying one? Would it depend on how they acted, or would it be generically bad?

This isn't a "DESERT STORM II"-only issue, we have occupied or posted troops to territories over the decades (notably the Republic of the Phillipines, American Samoa, Panama, Johnson Islands, Okinawa, Japan, Federal Republic of Germany, Great Britain, Guamtanamo Bay, Republic of Vietnam) and sent civilian aid people to many many more. Even allowing for the "mirror effect-minus" ("like begets like" in how we are treated but any bad event repels all good actors, while good works draw opportunists*) and cultural differences, professionalism and collective cumulative common sense usually will overcome hurdles and let the mission get finished. If the mission isn't to fight, then you have to be a "not-fighter", but you always have to be alert for the folks who will take advantage of weakness or inattention. Anywhere.

Compare the results between occupying Japan, and occupying Iraq....

Afghanistan has a long history of being run by warlords (before during and after incursions by Alexander the Great, Arabic Muslims, the British Empire, Soviet Union, Taliban, and USA) and having to take stuff rather than make stuff because the monetary and logistic infrastructure is prostrate and kept there by tribalism, sectarianism and plain old corruption.

*Not only outside US. During the 1960's Chicago's "Blackstone Rangers" were lauded and funded by the liberal elite for their motive role in uplifting south side ghetto youth, until it was proven that they were channeling the charity money into expanding their illegal activities and buying guns.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I think that you have been living on the sheltered bits. Once you start going out and seeing these people in their villages, living and working with them off the fob, you will see what I mean.

I did...for years. Yes I have been a Fobbit for the past 16 months or so...but that does not negate my past experiences of the several years prior doing exactly that.

Anyways, I am done explaining myself. As mentioned earlier, PM me with your questions and yes I will be offering a different perspective than "Holy War Redneck Bonanza".

Veneficus

Forum Chief

DPM

Forum Captain
I have spent close to the past 6 years in Afghanistan, been on many bases, FOBs and COBs (worse than a FOB).

Are you sure? I only ever heard of one COB (Basra COB) and it was massive with Pizza Hut, Subway, Wifi, IDF.... :angry:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Basra was NOT a COB and again you are talking about Iraq and NOT Afghanistan.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Basra was NOT a COB and again you are talking about Iraq and NOT Afghanistan.

You are expecting accurate information from people who don't even know what country they are talking about?

DPM

Forum Captain
Well they called it a COB when I was last there, and after several little stints in Afghan I didn't find any COBs. MOBs, FOBs and PBs, but no COBS.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest about this mate, just saying that I didn't hear of one COB in RC South