Assignment: Afghanistan

DPM

Forum Captain
All I was trying to say was that if he's going to Helmand (which is where tombstone is) then the locals are Pashtun. Let's not get our knickers in a twist over this.

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
There is also no such thing as a non-combat assignment in Afghanistan...whether you remain on a FOB or not, that is just the reality of the situation

I get where you are coming from. The reason I specified "non-combat", is due to the fact that I am a civilian and not authorized [or even inclined] to carry a firearm. I am not a "shooter medic", although I do agree with your assessment of the potential hazards inherent with living in the area.

Any more info of where you're going?

... So unless a Sangar gets hit or you get some decent IDF I'd wager most of your time will be spent providing 'primary care' type stuff.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a blast ;)

From what I am told thus far, I will be in KAF for a brief time then heading down to Leatherneck for some training. My modus operandi will be 12hr clinic rotations of treating acute/chronic maladies. Patient population will consist primarily of an international consortium of civilian contractors. Rumor has it, I'll be seeing roughly 4-5 patients a day (I'll count of seeing at least 5x that amount) :blink:

If you are into video games, a PSP helps kill time.

I was actually entertaining the notion of bringing my PS3... not sure how practical that would be though

Enjoy Afghanistan, Ill get back to sipping my margirita on the beach in Dubai now :rofl: just messin, goodluck man and keep us up to date

Totally jelly!
I'll definitely report back as things unfold. I think the hardest transition for me will be using the Port O Johnnies *cringe*

I will be fling out to Texas a week from today (23rd), should touch down in UAE around the beginning of February

DPM

Forum Captain
Playstation might work... if you do want to bring a TV or anything like that, make sure you bring a power strip with a surge protector. The generators are pretty decent but they can be a bit temperamental.

KAF might as well not even be in Afghanistan. It's the busiest single runway airport in the world and there's a few thousand people there, as well as a fully kitted out Role 3 Hospital.

Leatherneck is co-located with Bastion (UK) and Shorabak (ANA) and is pretty big. Leatherneck has a smaller clinic type thing, which it sounds like you'll be working in, with another Role 3 facility at Bastion 1.

The weather, as already stated goes from Cold and wet to hot and dry. As far as goodies go, what would you want if you were spending a year living in a remote cabin somewhere back home? You'll have electricity, some half decent food, maybe air-con if you're a civilian... and as for safety, I wouldn't be too worried. I don't think that Bastion / Shoraback / Leatherneck has ever been attacked, and it's not likely that it ever will. You'll be in the middle of no where, surrounded by a few thousand soldiers, a big b*stard fence, and then MILES of open desert.

I only spent about an hour in Leatherneck, and in total I've spent a few weeks at Bastion / Shoraback so if you have any questions feel free.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry this is short and to point.

PS3 is fine. They sell them at the PX.
They sell TVs and monitors at PX.
They sell power strips, inverters, power converters at PX.
Anything you need can be purchased at KAF PX and LNK PX has pretty decent supply as well.

LNK does not get attacked, middle of nowhere. Does have restaurants like KAF including a decent pizza joint.

Your clinic will be seeing the employees of the company you are contracted with...OHS treats Dyn Corp under LOGCAP.

There is a nice civilian clinic on LNK which treats all other companys who do not have in house medical.

LNK is pretty mild in temperature. The weather is decent right now, light jacket in evenings. KAF has started warming up this past week but the weeks prior it was hat, gloves, jacket and wet.

Do not sweat using the port a johns....both KAF and LNK have indoor bathrooms these days. The only port a johns remaining are right outside the DFACs or in random public places. Even the restaurants have indoor bathrooms.

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
This is all good stuff guys, and much appreciated!

I've finished processing and just waiting to rotate to Dubai. I'll be sure to check back (as access permits) to update or ask more questions as things develop.

habibti74

Forum Probie
I know this post is kind of old (and long!) but it was interesting to me to read - I'm an RN and am planning on going to the West Bank and Kabul this summer to work at a hospital (well obviously two different ones). In Gaza I have some connections and people to stay with, in Kabul I'll be at some women/children's hospital so maybe my experiences as a female civilian there will be a lot different from the experiences that you guys encountered there...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I know this post is kind of old (and long!) but it was interesting to me to read - I'm an RN and am planning on going to the West Bank and Kabul this summer to work at a hospital (well obviously two different ones). In Gaza I have some connections and people to stay with, in Kabul I'll be at some women/children's hospital so maybe my experiences as a female civilian there will be a lot different from the experiences that you guys encountered there...

Let me know if you want to come work in any of my clinics.... :)

And yes your experiences will be vastly different. Kabul is nice compared to everywhere else...restaurants, cafes, grocery stores, chicken street....the occasional car or suicide bomb but nothing like the other regions.

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Just wanted to update those who were interested...

I've been in country for a week now, and it has (and still is) the single most enlightening experience of my life. I will be taking sooooo much more away from this tour than just a paycheck. I am currently at KAF, but will be moving to TK for the duration. So far, I love it... and I hear it gets much better the farther I get away from KAF

KSH243

Forum Ride Along
Just wanted to update those who were interested...

I've been in country for a week now, and it has (and still is) the single most enlightening experience of my life. I will be taking sooooo much more away from this tour than just a paycheck. I am currently at KAF, but will be moving to TK for the duration. So far, I love it... and I hear it gets much better the farther I get away from KAF

This is true somewhat. You are with OnsiteOHS right? Too bad you didn't end up going to LNK. I have some friends still there. I spent a year there myself. TK will be a good gig. Heard the food sucked though. So you will be in a remote medic spot. Not bad. PM me with your name. I know a few people out that way I can point out to you. They may be of some help. Be warned, it is hot as hell in the summer. That is not just a saying either. Drink your water!

KSH243

Forum Ride Along
Let me know if you want to come work in any of my clinics.... :)

And yes your experiences will be vastly different. Kabul is nice compared to everywhere else...restaurants, cafes, grocery stores, chicken street....the occasional car or suicide bomb but nothing like the other regions.

What is the name of your company. I don't recall hearing of any clinics at KAF other than KBR, OHS and the role 3.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
What is the name of your company. I don't recall hearing of any clinics at KAF other than KBR, OHS and the role 3.

I do not advertise on the main board and seeing as how OHS took over the KBR property...they were never in the same location as same time. OHS was temporarily housed elsewhere and then took over the former KBR clinic.

There are lots of clinics on all the larger bases besides those you mentioned.

KSH243

Forum Ride Along
I do not advertise on the main board and seeing as how OHS took over the KBR property...they were never in the same location as same time. OHS was temporarily housed elsewhere and then took over the former KBR clinic.

Of the larger bases I was only on 2. LNK and KAF. I know LNK only has the CSH and OHS clinic. The ones I listed were only the ones I knew of at KAF. That is why I asked. PM me with your info. On a gig right now but I would be interested in hearing about it if you are looking for medics in the future.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Of the larger bases I was only on 2. LNK and KAF. I know LNK only has the CSH and OHS clinic. The ones I listed were only the ones I knew of at KAF. That is why I asked. PM me with your info. On a gig right now but I would be interested in hearing about it if you are looking for medics in the future.

You missed several at LNK as well. :) Including MINE!

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
This is true somewhat. You are with OnsiteOHS right? Too bad you didn't end up going to LNK. I have some friends still there. I spent a year there myself. TK will be a good gig. Heard the food sucked though. So you will be in a remote medic spot. Not bad. PM me with your name. I know a few people out that way I can point out to you. They may be of some help. Be warned, it is hot as hell in the summer. That is not just a saying either. Drink your water!

I have a buddy (former co-worker) down at LNK, and he says it's great there! As far as the food at TK, I am getting mixed reviews, but most I talk to say it's outstanding... although it won't matter much to me, as I am mostly looking forward to getting away from the congestion of KAF and taking in some scenery.

... OHS was temporarily housed elsewhere and then took over the former KBR clinic.

I am told TMH has a "pay" clinic here at KAF... going for a tour of the Role III later today.

KSH243

Forum Ride Along
You missed several at LNK as well. :) Including MINE!

Well after running EMS on LNK for a year I knew every inch of the base and was in nearly every building. I am suprised I never came across your clinic. It also was not listed with the medical facilities on base. It also was not listed for the emergency action plan when I was there. Can you PM me your company name? Where on LNK was/is your clinic? When did it get stood up?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Well after running EMS on LNK for a year I knew every inch of the base and was in nearly every building. I am suprised I never came across your clinic. It also was not listed with the medical facilities on base. It also was not listed for the emergency action plan when I was there. Can you PM me your company name? Where on LNK was/is your clinic? When did it get stood up?

That doesn't surprise me....I was the Chief of EMS at KAF for almost 2 years and thought I had seen it all like yourself...always something new, something overlooked, something amiss...

But yes, we were/are on the plans, attend the meetings, have the permissions, so I dunno.

Seems like someone from KAF has hit the nail on the head...

KSH243

Forum Ride Along
So ak. Are you looking for medics? What part of the general population do you care for? Where is your LNK clinic at? What is your company name? Where are you at now? I know a few people out that way that may want to talk about any jobs you may have open.

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
... Seems like someone from KAF has hit the nail on the head

Drove by TMH last night... dropping a co-worker off at her flat. Are you in the area?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Drove by TMH last night... dropping a co-worker off at her flat. Are you in the area?

I am in Florida...sneaking in a vacation with the family for a few days since I had to come here on business. Feel free to drop in and check it out...if you need your teeth cleaned I will offer you a discount as well. :)