Assignment: Afghanistan

tq1coleman

Forum Ride Along
If everything goes as planned, I will be deploying to Afghanistan within the next couple of weeks. Finally finished navigating the guantlet of endless paperwork/forms, after accepting a contract offer, and would like to know if anyone here is currently in country. I'll be in the southern region (FOB), but not sure which as of yet. I will be operating in a static non-combat assignment.

I've delved through numerous forum threads and blogs, and would like to pick the brain of someone (here) who is currently in the region. This is my fiirst international assignment, so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

First all I can say is wow to some of the previous posts. I have been to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I am currently in Afghanistan and it is cold at night...not too bad during the day. Be prepared to get sick, I never get sick in the states and I always get sicked when I am deployed no matter how much water I drink or how many times I wash my hands.

There is also no such thing as a non-combat assignment in Afghanistan...whether you remain on a FOB or not, that is just the reality of the situation. I do not know what the statistics are but I would argue your chances of being hit with a rocket or mortar are up there with winning the lottery. I am not saying it doesn't happen and I am not saying it isn't a threat because the threat is there and people do get hurt and killed. In my experience more local nationals are injured/killed than Coalition Forces. This is also coming from the perspective of a military member. I can't speak for the day to day life of an EMT in Afghanistan.

Also as far as names go for bases they are a dime a dozen (i.e. FB = Firebase, COP = Combat Outpost etc. etc.). They change all the time and can be attacked or overrun at anytime, some more susceptible than others. My advice to you is to link up with a military person and try to get as much information about where you are going as possible. I can tell you IEDs are worse in the South than anywhere else. And right now there is a lull in fighting which will pick up again when it warms up. Search Afghanistan fighting season in Goggle to get a better perspective. You can also take a look at the CIA World Factbook to get some info on country info, customs and courtesies.

I too was subject to looking cool and not taking cover when the sirens go off. But as I said people do get injured just as people also win the lottery so it is up to you whether you want to take that chance of not taking cover. And I remember reading something about going prone...that is definitely better than doing nothing at all. Listen for the instructions from the speaker, it will tell you when it is safe to move and what you should be doing. I could go on for days explaining what you should and shouldn't do but like I said, link up with someone that has some experience and ask questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DPM

Forum Captain
We didn't get much accurate IDF in the south, and when it does happen counter-fire or aircraft usually put a stop to things quite quickly.

IED's of all varieties and D&V will be more common. Any more info of where you're going? I'm sure you won't be acting independently or out on the ground, but being Familiar with the 9-line medevac request will probably come in useful.

I'd be interested to here what you're actually getting up to. Nearly all of our casualties occurred in contact out on the ground and were dealt with by the guys on the ground and then evac'd. So unless a Sangar gets hit or you get some decent IDF I'd wager most of your time will be spent providing 'primary care' type stuff.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a blast ;)

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Thanks a bunch

Thanks for the wealth of information provided... even if it did come by way of heated debate.

For the record, I will not be in a combat role. I also have no illusions about the safety (or lack thereof) of the area in which I will be working. My main concerns were appropriate clothing (brand/type recommendations), how to take advantage of downtime, and possible networking with other Medics in the area.

As of now, I will probably be heading to Camp Leatherneck for some training, then assigned to a FOB as needed. I will update as I know more.

Cheers!

tq1coleman

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the wealth of information provided... even if it did come by way of heated debate.

For the record, I will not be in a combat role. I also have no illusions about the safety (or lack thereof) of the area in which I will be working. My main concerns were appropriate clothing (brand/type recommendations), how to take advantage of downtime, and possible networking with other Medics in the area.

As of now, I will probably be heading to Camp Leatherneck for some training, then assigned to a FOB as needed. I will update as I know more.

Cheers!

For downtime I would take online classes if you are working on a degree. You can never have enough education. My recommendation for a school that caters to deployed personnel is the American Public University System. They are broken down into two schools AMU and APU which are both open to the public despite their names. Their tuition is fair and their professors are pretty good...most make you actually earn your degree. Two specific degrees that fit the EMS career are the Emergency and Disaster Management and Fire Science Management degrees. I am 4 classes into the Master of Arts in Emergency and Disaster Management...so far so good.

Also I would bring a laptop, some places have WIFI. And bring a hard drive, if you have movies good, if not you can transfer some from another persons hard drive once you get out here. You can also get bootleg movies in the bazaars. If you are into video games, a PSP helps kill time.

As far as clothes go I would bring some sort of fleece coat/jacket. They are standard issue for military and keep you fairly warm walking to chow and such. If you can get your hands on a Gortex jacket that would serve as a decent outer garment for the cold as well as a rain coat should you need it. Mine is still hanging in my room but I have it if I need it. They are expensive so if you don't have one or can't acquire one they are not absolutely necessary. The Spring will bring warm weather which will turn all the snow/frozen ground to mush so I would bring an extra pair of tennis shoes and an extra pair or work boots.

Bring a couple flashlights, one to keep in your room and one for your pocket. Most FOBs are just about completely dark so until you get used to your route you may need a light to walk around. It really depends on where you go, some have enough lighting where others I could not see my hand in front of my face.

Lastly bring your favorite toiletries as they do not have much variety in the PX. I would bring enough for a couple months then have someone mail a pre-packaged box after you get to your final destination.

I cannot think of anything else at the moment but I will post here again if I do.

DPM

Forum Captain
Leatherneck is Massive, and with Bastion next door you wont be able to swing a cat without hitting a pizza hut!

Helmand is the most dangerous part of the country, by a long shot. Over 50% of all casualties there are from IED's, so make sure you know what you're getting yourself in for. There's plenty to read up on if your interested (Kajaki, Sangin, Gereshk, plenty of exciting places!)

The locals speak Pashtun, and you'll probably deal with a fair few of them. The language is pretty basic so it's not hard to get to grips with.

It gets cold and wet in the winter and freezing at night. One lad on my tour brought some welly boots with him, out PB got that muddy! A Softie / Snugpack / Northface type jacket is great at night. A goretex jacket as already said is a must. A warm hat, lots of socks and undies... T-shirts things like that.

Summer will be read hot. 110+ in the shade. Most lads wore shorts constantly on their down time. T-shirts and socks etc again. Get some sandals you can run in, just in case.

Get a look at the body armor that your guys are wearing, and get familiar with how to get it off then quickly. They're designed to be taken apart easily, but you don't want to be figuring out when you get your first casualty.

Helmand province is the wild west, so be prepared to take casualties. If I think of anything else I'll let you know, I've spent a lot of time in that part of the world so PM me if you have any questions.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought the people were called Pashtun and the language Pashto. As well isn't Urdo also spoken in the area as well.

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
What to bring

For downtime I would take online classes if you are working on a degree. You can never have enough education. My recommendation for a school that caters to deployed personnel is the American Public University System. They are broken down into two schools AMU and APU which are both open to the public despite their names. Their tuition is fair and their professors are pretty good...most make you actually earn your degree. Two specific degrees that fit the EMS career are the Emergency and Disaster Management and Fire Science Management degrees. I am 4 classes into the Master of Arts in Emergency and Disaster Management...so far so good.

Also I would bring a laptop, some places have WIFI. And bring a hard drive, if you have movies good, if not you can transfer some from another persons hard drive once you get out here. You can also get bootleg movies in the bazaars. If you are into video games, a PSP helps kill time.

As far as clothes go I would bring some sort of fleece coat/jacket. They are standard issue for military and keep you fairly warm walking to chow and such. If you can get your hands on a Gortex jacket that would serve as a decent outer garment for the cold as well as a rain coat should you need it. Mine is still hanging in my room but I have it if I need it. They are expensive so if you don't have one or can't acquire one they are not absolutely necessary. The Spring will bring warm weather which will turn all the snow/frozen ground to mush so I would bring an extra pair of tennis shoes and an extra pair or work boots.

Bring a couple flashlights, one to keep in your room and one for your pocket. Most FOBs are just about completely dark so until you get used to your route you may need a light to walk around. It really depends on where you go, some have enough lighting where others I could not see my hand in front of my face.

Lastly bring your favorite toiletries as they do not have much variety in the PX. I would bring enough for a couple months then have someone mail a pre-packaged box after you get to your final destination.

I cannot think of anything else at the moment but I will post here again if I do.

----- Gator Neck, little expensive about 20 in the PX but greatest investment, helps protect against sand storms.

tq1coleman

Forum Ride Along
I thought the people were called Pashtun and the language Pashto. As well isn't Urdo also spoken in the area as well.

You are correct and they also speak a wide variety of other languages such as but not limited to Dari, English, Arabic, Farsi (Afghan Persian or Dari (official) 50%, Pashto (official) 35%, Turkic languages (primarily Uzbek and Turkmen) 11%, 30 minor languages (primarily Balochi and Pashai) 4%, much bilingualism).

Along the Pakistan border they are mostly Pashtun but the ethnic background in Afghanistan is pretty extensive (Pashtun 42%, Tajik 27%, Hazara 9%, Uzbek 9%, Aimak 4%, Turkmen 3%, Baloch 2%, other 4%)

www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/af.html

I forgot to mention earlier, don't forget shower shoes. The showers are nasty.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
And ship yourself good tp. No one likes one ply.
Our local counterparts had a maddening habit of not pooping right. They'd squat over the toilet and Batman it in. Ptsd kicks in just thinking about poopy toilet seats when you have to go.

DPM

Forum Captain
Pashto / Pashtun it's the same thing, you get minor spelling issues when you translate it :)

And yes, I'm sure the wiki says there's hundreds of languages in Afghaninstan but if you're off to leatherneck first you'll be in Helmand and the only non-Pashtun speakers were some of the ANA from up north.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Enjoy Afghanistan, Ill get back to sipping my margirita on the beach in Dubai now :rofl: just messin, goodluck man and keep us up to date

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Enjoy Afghanistan, Ill get back to sipping my margirita on the beach in Dubai now

Yea that you probably paid 3/4 of the money you earned for just before getting thrown in jail for kissing some girl on the beach because you don't own her.

I think Afghanistan was nicer and probably more civilized.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
haha nah, UAE has been pretty good to me so far. A lot better than Saudi where I was before.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
haha nah, UAE has been pretty good to me so far. A lot better than Saudi where I was before.

Semper In Excretio, Solum Profundum Variat

or more accurately depending on the translation you like:

semper in merda sumus - solum altitudo mutatur

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Semper In Excretio, Solum Profundum Variat

or more accurately depending on the translation you like:

semper in merda sumus - solum altitudo mutatur

Latin for "Always in the s**t, only the depth changes" ? Got a few variations of the translation.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
S.n.a.f.u.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Did not know you were in Dubai, I am in and out of there 2-3 times a month....will be there in a few days for a conference. PM me some contact info...

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya AFK, I thought I sent you a PM a while back, but I am not sure if you got it. My internet is not so great. I am not in the city, I am out in the desert 7 days on 7 days off. I fly to Denmark every off week though, so I am not in the city much other than catching my flight. I am now and again though ill keep you up to date in case you want to grab a beer or something.

tq1coleman

Forum Ride Along
Pashto / Pashtun it's the same thing, you get minor spelling issues when you translate it :)

And yes, I'm sure the wiki says there's hundreds of languages in Afghaninstan but if you're off to leatherneck first you'll be in Helmand and the only non-Pashtun speakers were some of the ANA from up north.

Don't forget about the insurgents trying to blow you up, they are smarter than people give them credit for and some speak multiple languages. I only cite my sources to give credibility to what I am trying to say. I live and breath this stuff everyday.

Pashto and Pashtun are not the same thing. Pashto is the language they speak and Pashtun is their ethnicity (CIA World Factbook). And Wikipedia is not a scholarly source which is why I would never cite anything from there. I am not trying to argue here I just don't want bad info passed around.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ack