Ambulance service to charge more for obese patients

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Answers are simple. Getting TO the answer may not be. But it does not make the answer any harder.

Instead of telling everyone to get a job, why not reform the health care system? Wow, there's a thought.

Instead of forcing the public to pay for the healthcare of the minority, why not have people find ways of providing their own? Wow, there's a thought. (See, I can do that argument too ;) )

Sasha

Forum Chief
Answers are simple. Getting TO the answer may not be. But it does not make the answer any harder.

Instead of forcing the public to pay for the healthcare of the minority, why not have people find ways of providing their own? Wow, there's a thought. (See, I can do that argument too ;) )

Because we've done that and it's not working for the majority.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

The whole thing comes down to education. They either make sacrifices to better their situation or they dont, it's that simple. And Sasha the whole full time student cant keep a fulltime job because it will worsen there grades is a weak argument. If you cant make it work then you prioritize and spread schooling out.

In a very repressed area i was able to maintain fulltime employment while going to school full time, while having to commute well over an hour just to get to class over a very ugly 3500ft summit. And did the same for paramedic school, though that was a 2.5 hours one way. Sure sacrafices had to be made but you know what it was worth it and i kept benefits the entire time. So dont say it cant be done, they just dont want to make the sacrifices to make it happen.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Do NOT expect me, or anyone else, who work for our money, to flip the bill because (generic)you are simply to lazy to find your own way of doing it.
I have medicaid. It MUST be because I'm too lazy to go out and find work that offers health insurance. Yes... that is the ONLY reason I have medicaid.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Because we've done that and it's not working for the majority.

Obviously, it is working for the majority, seeing as the vast majority of the population ARE insured.

I have medicaid. It MUST be because I'm too lazy to go out and find work that offers health insurance. Yes... that is the ONLY reason I have medicaid.

As I stated in my previous post, there are always exceptions to be made.

Like.. free healthcare for all people named Derek.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Obviously, it is working for the majority, seeing as the vast majority of the population ARE insured.

You seem to be against paying for others healthcare. How many of the "majority" are insured through medicaid, medicare or some other govt program?

Sasha

Forum Chief

Have you watched the trends? The percentage of uninsured is growing. Soon the vast majority will be uninsured. That's a sure sign that it isn't working and needs reform.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You seem to be against paying for others healthcare. How many of the "majority" are insured through medicaid, medicare or some other govt program?

No, you're mistaken.
I'm against pay for lazy people's things.

I'm not against helping people. I'm in EMS, remember?

There's a difference between not being able to do something, and choosing to not even try.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
No, you're mistaken.
I'm against pay for lazy people's things.

I'm not against helping people. I'm in EMS, remember?

There's a difference between not being able to do something, and choosing to not even try.

Helping people? Screw that. I'm in EMS to make the big bucks! :p

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I really do not think it is as easy to change certain things as some here are describing. Sasha has some great points. For many people who are not like that in my little story, it is impossibly hard to get insurance even if they want to be healthier.

I just do not think, and I suspect she does not ether, that socialized medicine is the answer.

Sasha

Forum Chief
and I suspect she does not ether,

Couldn't be from our PM conversation, could it? :p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Some clarification. All patients have the right to any ED that recieves Governmental funding (medicare/medicaid) to be evaluated. A medical screening examination (MSE) must be performed by either the licensed physician or their designated proxy (P.A. or NP).

There is where the confusion starts. A patient maybe turned away if they found to be stable or if services can be provided for them elsewhere. Now, most physicians will NOT turn them away due to the possibility of a mishap or problem that may cause litigation.

For those that assume health care is right, is also being feed? Amazing we still charge for food and even supplement farmers NOT to grow crops? Yet in health care we assume it should be for free.

In my 32+ years; I have never seen anyone denied emergency treatment in a ER. Now, with that saying I have seen many wallet biopsies and not the "best route" or better diagnostics studies because they did not have the fund.

I agree it is shameful. I do agree it is a problem and alike even those experts within healthcare administration there is no easy answer. I listened to 2 physicians debate this dilemma this p.m. on NPR. Alike they described; someone will still have to suffer for something no matter what. Albeit the week end jock that normally would had got his arthroscopy done and with governmental direction will have to wait 2 years or the 70 year old that will be denied dialysis because the costs will be too enormous. Who will get to live and will have to die?

I have dealt with the so called insurance thieves and hospitals that have a 1000% increase in med.'s and treatments. When my loved one needed Benadryl IV it was $130.00 for a 40 cent vial. Nice mark up... Chemo was $5,000 a treatment twice a week for 2 weeks then once a week for 6 weeks. Yes, I had insurance but since most of the Chemo was rated "trial" it would not pay but partial to none. Yes, there went my retirement and plans for our home. She was an advanced degree RN; but could not work due to autoimmune and chemo has a tendency to knock the hell out of you. Worst yet, is even if you have so called "great insurance" it is never enough and they know it! PET scan's are rarely covered by insurance companies as prescribed, even though they will far detect and isolate minute cancer developments and actually reduce the amount and time of treatments... Kinda like insurance companies not wanting to pay for mammograms?... ridiculous!

Yes, I see the elderly instead of taking med.'s everday they choose every other day...either food, electric or medications.

So what's the answer? There is not one that will get to the real problem.

Reduce the profit margin of pharmaceutical companies. Currently, they cannot even give an correct estimate of their profit margin. Majority of the CEO's are considered some of the wealthiest persons in the U.S. Sorry other countries, but the reason you get med.'s so cheap is we (U.S.) pay for them.

The other is to cap HMO profit margin. No, you won't see that happen since they have the highest paid lobbyist and PAC groups around. Yes, the Senate & Congress knows where their bread is buttered. Sure, they talk but that's all.

Just by reducing those two industries, and if the monies really went into funding health care for everyone; we would have no problem. Yet, that's not going to happen....ever.
The fat will never be trimmed as long as people are hungry and greedy, those of the bone will always be those that will suffer.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator: