Ambulance service to charge more for obese patients

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

It's about time EMS is following in the footsteps of the travel industry.

The number 1 cause of morbid obesity is HtM DZ coupled with a sedentary lifestyle. period, point blank, end of discussion unless someone can find proof otherwise...... dont bother, it's true.

Why should my and every other healthcare provider risk having their career cut short due to the lack of will power and disciple of others.

Healthcare is not a right but a privledge as Rid pointed out. If they expect the best medicine can do for them, then the medical community should expect no less from these patients.

You freakin liberals are probably one of the biggest problems in America today and the reason people do not take responsibilities for themselves. Since the begining of time evolution had a way of weeding out the sick, weak and lazy. But now that that has been removed we will all have to pay for it. Be it with loss of our hard earned tax dollars caring for them or the loss of our hard earned careers when we have them cut short due to back injuries and anything else that comes with dealing with the bariatric community.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
(At JPINFV)
Yes. because making right choices in your life, and consequently living longer, is worse then making wrong choices and expecting others to pay for it.

Sorry, but if you do a year-by-year comparison, they cost much more. Fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Double the cost for double the average weight...

350lbs is double the average weight? Have you looked around when you go shopping? The majority of people around here easily weigh over 175.

Touche

Health Care is (or should be) a right
Agreed

If it's a personal choice that lead to your current condition, why should others have to pay for the majority of it?

If money wasn't an issue, if all healthcare were free, doctors, nurses, techs, EMTs, Paramedics etc were all paid well.... then, should healthcare be a right?

The fact is, fat people should be charged for two plane seats, etc.

Agreed. I don't want someone's fat rubbing against me for the entire flight.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
350lbs is double the average weight? Have you looked around when you go shopping? The majority of people around here easily weigh over 175.

I base everyone off of me. I'm 160. That means double my weight is 320, therefor 350 is more then double my average weight. :p

Plus, Michigan is just a fat state.

If money wasn't an issue, if all healthcare were free, doctors, nurses, techs, EMTs, Paramedics etc were all paid well.... then, should healthcare be a right?

Nope. Not a right. Should not have ever been, and should never be.

Yes, I'm for people having access to healthcare, but it is NOT the publics /governments responsibility to provide it to people.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope. Not a right. Should not have ever been, and should never be.

Yes, I'm for people having access to healthcare, but it is NOT the publics /governments responsibility to provide it to people.

Why shouldn't it be a right?

When did I ever say that it would be the Govt/Public providing the healthcare?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why SHOULD it be a right?

Are we guaranteed it anywhere?

And how is healthcare going to be provided to everyone, if the gov't and/or public isn't providing it?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually JP, I have seen far more cite that 5% of our population incurs somewhere upwards of 75% of healthcare costs from medicare.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
You freakin liberals are probably one of the biggest problems in America today and the reason people do not take responsibilities for themselves. Since the begining of time evolution had a way of weeding out the sick, weak and lazy. But now that that has been removed we will all have to pay for it. Be it with loss of our hard earned tax dollars caring for them or the loss of our hard earned careers when we have them cut short due to back injuries and anything else that comes with dealing with the bariatric community.

I am very liberal (on environment, and issues of rights for women and LBGT, etc) but still believe in personal responsibility and economic conservatism. It is not all of us, I swear.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Why SHOULD it be a right?

Are we guaranteed it anywhere?

And how is healthcare going to be provided to everyone, if the gov't and/or public isn't providing it?

1. That isn't an answer. Defend your position, don't turn the question around. If your only answer is that it isn't guaranteed anywhere, that's a poor argument, to me.

2. Perhaps charity organizations would band together and people in healthcare would provide their services free of charge in my little scenario. Who knows? Be creative.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It IS an answer. If it's not a right guaranteed in any of our country's founding documents, why should it be a right?

Every single right you have as a US citizen is spelled out in the Constitution and its amendments. That's it. Every single other thing is a privilege, nothing more.

If you want it, get it, but don't expect others to do it for you.

Charities tend to take money from the public. So that one doesn't work.

Again, why should many people pay to provide care to other people who don't pay for it themselves (exceptions not withstanding)

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
It IS an answer. If it's not a right guaranteed in any of our country's founding documents, why should it be a right?

Every single right you have as a US citizen is spelled out in the Constitution and its amendments. That's it. Every single other thing is a privilege, nothing more.

If we left everything how it was before, we'd be stuck with only the Bill of Rights. Some of the later amendments were added because people recognized that the (then) current amendments weren't enough. Things change, perhaps in the future we'll have an amendment that deals with the right to health care.

Linuss said:
Charities tend to take money from the public. So that one doesn't work.

Which is why I said "Be creative". It wasn't meant to be the only option. If you aren't that creative, I'll make a list of ideas that you can go over.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Really, I have read the Bill of Right's. I swear I don't see health care anywhere in it? It is a privilage not a right.

Yet, when you are presented at the ER with a life threatning injury or illness, have no insurance and the reason for the visit is your own doing, they cannot turn you away, can they? Doesn't that make it your right to recieve health care?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Yet, when you are presented at the ER with a life threatning injury or illness, have no insurance and the reason for the visit is your own doing, they cannot turn you away, can they? Doesn't that make it your right to recieve health care?

There are people, including myself, who want to do away with a lot of EMTLA..

( I agree with the basic premise, but it is bloated and costly. ERs across the country are shutting down, that will not get better or just stop until the government steps in to help the hospitals they are requiring to hemorrhage money.)

Sasha

Forum Chief
There are people, including myself, who want to do away with a lot of EMTLA..

( I agree with the basic premise, but it is bloated and costly. ERs across the country are shutting down, that will not get better or just stop until the government steps in to help the hospitals they are requiring to hemorrhage money.)

I really hope that it is never done away with.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Sasha that is not healthcare as we are talking about it. That is emergency stabilization, there is a very big differance.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sasha that is not healthcare as we are talking about it. That is emergency stabilization, there is a very big differance.

But it is health care! So how is health care not a right? Also if preventive medicine was available to everyone don't you think it would cut down on a lot of the ER visiits or the train wreck patients who haven't seen a doctor in 20 years and have every disease and disorder under the sun?

Heck, if we're going to start awarding people health care by what we think is right, do we stop providing to drivers injured in an MVC who were speeding, not wearing their seat belt, drunk, or texting/talking on the phone unless they carry private insurance?? Charge them extra for an ambulance ride because they are a drain on society?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Yes it would make a differance. But in order for that to happen people have to take the inititve to get an education and get a job with benefits to PAY FOR THEIR OWN preventitive healthcare.

As to the trainwrecks thats a whole other story. The people who you ask "why did your doctor prescribe this for you" and they answer "because my doctor tells me to" all leads back to poor eduation.

Answer me this. When you get tired of lets say paying someone to fix your computer or to know when something is wrong, what do you do. You take the inititve to learn the basic's yourself so you dont have to pay somebody else to figure it out for you, right? A persons healthcare should be no differant. You take the inititive to learn the basics.................. Or evolution has a surprise for you

That Sasha is emergency stabilization and i think EVERYONE should be entitled to it and thats why ive spent the last 17 yearsof my life providing just that.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Preventative healthcare available to all--- Finding a job that provides healthcare.

They exist. If you choose to get a job that doesn't offer it, don't whine that you don't have it.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Not everyone can afford to pay for health insurance. It is NOT available to all. Available to all means everyone would have equal access to it, those who cannot afford to carry insurance do NOT have access to preventive care. Have you tried to go to a doctor without insurance? Good god it's expensive.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
As I just had stated, and you missed, all people begin with the exact same chance to get healthcare--

Finding a job that offers it.

Many employers do, even small "teenager" jobs. Blockbuster offered it. Kroger offered it. It's not just career jobs that give benefits. Yes, not all employers do, but if more people try for the "better" places, the other companies will have to up their benefits as well to compete for competent employees. All people win.