After incident, curious about something- EMT Student.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Hi, I have a question about shifts and really bad situations. Currently in South Dakota there is a stand-off that has been going on since yesterday afternoon (almost 24 hours)- and they're still out there in sub-zero weather (praying for them!) Now, if something like this happens, and you have a stand-off situation where nothing has happened for about 24 hours, do the EMS people still change shifts as they wait? I know this seems very petty, however, with the cold and exhaustion of just waiting, I would hope they could get fresh helpers out there. Thanks!

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
When we have stand-bys for law enforcement our 24hr trucks stay no more than 8 hours before another truck relieves them. Every other place I'm familiar with has the same practice.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Yes, typically a relief crew would be sent out in another bus or response vehicle if an ambulance wasn't available. No reason to hold over for hours on end when the the system isn't overloaded. although the overtime would be sweet.

We also have a disaster response team that can be activated in these situations.

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
I don't know about that specifically, but if you've got good leadership you won't be left in any detrimental situation long if it can be helped.

How many crews are out there? I'd be surprised if any one crew was at that scene for the entire 24. They should be rotating out.

No idea how PD handles it, but they get paid the big bucks...

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Thanks guy, so much- I believe there are 2 units out. The media (of course) is being kind of shady, although there is talk about a police update. There's only 700 people who live in this town, so I'm sure there are surrounding towns on standby if needed.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Provided you have manpower, why would you not?

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

I was just curious. I'm a student and still learning the ropes. Its been -30 to -40 at night here, and as I'm going into the field, I have a TON of questions even though I'll probably learn all of this stuff at one point or another. But since this is -still- ongoing, I just think about those police officers and EMTs out there.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Well it's probly pretty toasty inside that ambulance with the deasil running and heat from the portable DVD player and the fresh burritos. At least it would be if I were on that stand-by.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

LOL Beano!!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
On the stand-bys I have been involved with we are given a choice to stay past our end of shift. Usually they will let us stay there for a couple of hours past our shift and then swap us out.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Like others have said, crews will usually rotate in and out depending on the rest of the systems call volume. -40? It's 23 here today and I almost cried.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Well now they upgraded us to a Blizzard warning- feel bad for those paramedics and police and SWAT teams out there- holy cow. Maybe I'll send them cookies as soon as this chaos is done.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Wait...I didn't know the Antarctic EMS guys had to deal with police stand bys....lol

-48? Ouch, I'd be freezing at +48! Fun fact, did you know according to the Mars Science Laboratory Rover Environmental Monitoring Station the high for the air temp on Mars is 18*F? Granted it plummets to a low of -97.6...but that still means for at least a little bit, South Dakota is colder than Mars
http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/mission/instruments/environsensors/rems/

Anyways, back on topic, well slightly, similar situation, a few weeks back my FD caught a second alarm house fire at 4 in the morning, apparently they were still on scene mopping up come shift change time (officially 7:30 but typically guys are showing up to the stations about 6:30). Some engine companies got their gear, piled into the station utility and drove to the scene to do shift change there, other engine companies knowing they were about to be released from the incident sooner rather than later simply said "We'll just meet you guys back at station" so I'd imagine for us EMTs on the ambulance would be able to swap out if we were on a long stand by like that

agah

Forum Crew Member
Well it's probly pretty toasty inside that ambulance with the deasil running and heat from the portable DVD player and the fresh burritos. At least it would be if I were on that stand-by.

That sounds pretty good actually :D

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We always swapped at shift change. Relief crew showed up in a reserve vehicle and the off going crew drove it back to the station. Easy peasy.