Advice?

AyeSpy

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been here. I've been on deployment for almost 5 months now doing anti-piracy crap over here near Africa. Not much time to hop onto the computer but plenty of time to do some thinking about my future. Which is where you guys come in!

I have about a year left in the Navy before I become a civilian again. I'm interested in getting out and becoming EMT certified and then either applying at a hospital and work towards my Paramedic or try to get hired on to a fire department. What advice can you guys give me? I've been looking into schools that offer EMT courses. I'm just interested in hearing what routes you guys took and what you would change (if anything).

I still got about a year to think about all this but I'd like to have all my ducks in a row before I get out. I've heard a lot of people say to get EMT-B and then go for a firefighter job vs. staying an EMT. Thoughts on that?

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate your time and thanks for what you guys do! I know you guys don't hear it enough but your job is important and appreciated.

OP
OP
AyeSpy

AyeSpy

Forum Ride Along
Yeah, I imagine it would have to be a bigger city. I was thinking places like Minneapolis/St. Paul, Denver or maybe even New York City.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Yeah, I imagine it would have to be a bigger city. I was thinking places like Minneapolis/St. Paul, Denver or maybe even New York City.

Those big cities will most likely want you to be an actual firefighter. Not just an EMT. So I would go for that too.

I could be wrong though. You will make more money in a FD then in a private company.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Denver Fire doesn't use Paramedics. Even the Paramedics tehy DO have are limited in scope to BLS only. Just food for thought.

EMT Dan

Forum Probie
By the sounds of it, you're not rotating to a shore tour before getting out, right? If you have time when you're back in the U.S., maybe find an EMT course somewhere near you that you can go to a couple nights a week and then on Saturdays, and get your EMT-B that way.

That's what I did. Once I got on my shore tour, I had way more time and way less duty days. So about a year ago I went through an EMT course (paid out of pocket -- don't use post-9/11 GI Bill for something as small as that), and later decided I want to volunteer. I've volunteered at a local FD since last summer, and depending on how busy I stay as an instructor (often times, not very if I don't have a class of my own in house), I can respond to a couple calls a day sometimes. Not exactly big city standards, but enough to reinforce at least some of the knowledge from the class.

That might not be practical if you still have a pretty fair work schedule back in port (which if you're attached to a ship, you probably do). But if you're looking for a way to get ahead for when you DO get out and want to apply to a FD, my personal feeling is (and please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong), that already having an EMT-B and some experience will help you get into some places that otherwise might be tougher.

If it's practical, see if your duty rotation and workload can support two nights a week and Saturdays to yourself for three months or so.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Be an Eagle!

Once you're out, if you have the luxury of locating anywhere you want then you also have the luxury of a year to figure out where and then go for it.

1st, pick a few areas of the US, or wherever that you'd like to live
2nd, start talking to people here
3rd, find a system that has
a. good education
b. paid services to choose from
c. a career track (Good Luck!)
d. enough pay to be comfortable in that location
4th, make a few connections with people in a couple of services. If you can, visit to really check out what's there, begin dialogue
5th, get reality checks here
6th, prepare for a couple of offers, then pick and choose

If played intelligently, you can use this time to lay a good foundation to step in to, instead of having to scramble to find ANYTHING, like so many here get stuck doing.

Good luck, and smart move to visit!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Out here in california most fire services are paid. You can get in as an EMT/Firefighter but its alot easier to get in as a Paramedic firefighter. some areas dont have any paramedics on the engine while others will only have Paramedics and no EMTs on the engine. personally i dont like california. everything is way to expensive out here and i could throw a rock and hit an EMT because there are soo many. For the fire service, especially wildland firefighting, you are a step up from alot of people since you are in the military.

OP
OP
AyeSpy

AyeSpy

Forum Ride Along
I'm thinking if staying Paramedic or becoming a EMT/Paramedic Firefighter. I haven't decided yet. It sounds like most fire departments are either volunteer or very competitive.

I don't think I want to move out to California. I enjoyed the weather but I don't think I could live there. The three places I've been thinking about is Minnesota, Colorado or New York City area. I haven't looked too much into the local services offered in Colorado or NYC yet though. I know the FDNY is a big department (obviously) but I'm not sure what their hiring situation is like.

Unfournately, I won't be rotating to shore duty again. I'll be stuck out here until the time I separate from the Navy. The advantage is I will be able to save up a lot of money so when I get out I'll have money in the bank plus the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill to pay for my college courses. I should be good to go in that regard.

Once I get my EMT cert do you think it is a better idea to apply to a fire depatment and try to get picked up as an EMT/Firefighter or should I work at some private company until I can pick up Paramedic? How long does it usually take to go from EMT to Paramedic? I know there is on the job training you have to do before you can become certified. I'm just trying to come up with some sort of timeline.

Also, if you guys have any advice about the EMT world please feel free to share! I've always been real big on helping people and I guess that's why I've always wanted to be some kind of first responder (cop/medic/FF). I've done a little police work here in the Navy and realized a lot of it is politics and that bothered me. Are you guys satisfied with your career choice? Is there a real future for me and my future family in this line of work?

Thank you again!

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'm thinking if staying Paramedic or becoming a EMT/Paramedic Firefighter. I haven't decided yet. It sounds like most fire departments are either volunteer or very competitive.

I don't think I want to move out to California. I enjoyed the weather but I don't think I could live there. The three places I've been thinking about is Minnesota, Colorado or New York City area. I haven't looked too much into the local services offered in Colorado or NYC yet though. I know the FDNY is a big department (obviously) but I'm not sure what their hiring situation is like.

Unfournately, I won't be rotating to shore duty again. I'll be stuck out here until the time I separate from the Navy. The advantage is I will be able to save up a lot of money so when I get out I'll have money in the bank plus the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill to pay for my college courses. I should be good to go in that regard.

Once I get my EMT cert do you think it is a better idea to apply to a fire depatment and try to get picked up as an EMT/Firefighter or should I work at some private company until I can pick up Paramedic? How long does it usually take to go from EMT to Paramedic? I know there is on the job training you have to do before you can become certified. I'm just trying to come up with some sort of timeline.

Also, if you guys have any advice about the EMT world please feel free to share! I've always been real big on helping people and I guess that's why I've always wanted to be some kind of first responder (cop/medic/FF). I've done a little police work here in the Navy and realized a lot of it is politics and that bothered me. Are you guys satisfied with your career choice? Is there a real future for me and my future family in this line of work?

Thank you again!

Well, as far as on-the-job training you have to do, that is generally covered in your clinicals. Now, not to toot my state's horn here, but Tennessee has a very progressive EMS training system, and it might take you a little longer, but if you were to come down here and get your EMT you would be starting out as a EMT-Advanced(or EMT-IV...I think the Advanced EMT is supposed to start in the fall, but I know it will be implemented within a year since it is going to replace NREMT-I, both 85 and 99. This is the lowest level TN trains at). From there, you have a good start for Paramedic.
As far as politics, you are going to find that pretty much any where you go. EMS is a small community, and this is one of those things that come from that.
Just a thought.....