advice on a new dog?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi all,

So my wife and I are thinking about getting another dog. We currently have a little lab/chiuaha (sp) mix but its really obnoxious and my wife raised it. So... I'm looking for something bigger. our apartment complex wont allow us to have anything that could be considered "vicious" ie pitbulls, and things of that nature.

So any ideas?

any and all suggestion will be considered!

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
go to a local shelter and rescue a dog. Don't buy one. You will never regret it.

+1 from someone that has nursed plenty of unwanted pups and kits back to health and found them good homes... there is nothing better you could do...

And then make the dog useful... Somethign that can never be said of a chihuahua. Eat, sleep, crap, yap, bite you when you piss it off... or... Eat, sleep, save a life... Law Dog, Disaster (USAR) Dog, Area Search Dog, Trailing Dog, Arson Dog, Cadaver Dog, Water Dog, Avalache Dog... just saying... Think about it. Oh, and look for a hound... :p

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hi all,

So my wife and I are thinking about getting another dog. We currently have a little lab/chiuaha (sp) mix but its really obnoxious and my wife raised it. So... I'm looking for something bigger. our apartment complex wont allow us to have anything that could be considered "vicious" ie pitbulls, and things of that nature.

So any ideas?

Boston Terriers. Best dogs I've ever owned. Good with kids, super loveable, not at all vicious, good with other dogs and animals, only downfall is they get some respiratory problems from the smushed in nose. My dog gets the reverse sneeze thing going, all you do is rub her throat, calm her down and she's good as new. You will never regret a boston terrier. And most have no tails, one less thing for you to bathe.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Be careful.......

So... I'm looking for something bigger. our apartment complex wont allow us to have anything that could be considered "vicious" ie pitbulls, and things of that nature.

So any ideas?

I would do some research first. A lot of the larger working dogs will have very high drive which means that you will need to exercise them daily. If you decide to go with a shelter dog, try to do some personality testing. You don't want a dog that either gets aggressive or cowers at loud noises. You want a dog that is curious about the noise or indifferent.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Weimer.

10 char

allvitals09

Forum Crew Member
Newfoundland. They most non-aggressive dog I have ever seen. From kids jumping on there backs for a ride to horses and cows stepping on them and they still just keep walking.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
The nice thing about getting a shelter dog is that you can often learn more about personality. Right now, there are a lot of dogs who were given up because owners couldn't afford to keep them, not for any actual troubles. The bad thing is that you often have to work pretty hard to earn the dog's trust, especially with older and abused dogs. I'd recommend it regardless.

Take a careful look at your lifestyle. If you're very physically active and want a companion, don't get a lazy dog. If you don't have the time or inclination exercise every day with your dog, don't get one that will need it, especially if you don't have a lot of space. If you're planning to stay in the apartment for awhile, be careful... it is possible to have big dogs in apartments, but can also be a pretty big hassle if you don't have enough energy, space, or time.

Be careful about how the dog is with others. If you might be having kids in the next 10-15 years (or already have them), ask if the shelter knows how the dog is around kids, and so on.

go to a local shelter and rescue a dog. Don't buy one. You will never regret it.

Hate to say this, but I saw plenty of cases at the local shelter where people regretted adoptions or purchases. Sometimes they got over it and kept them. Sometimes they didn't. Be really careful... a lot of otherwise good people find that they just can't love something that's destroying their lives, which is exactly what a new dog can do.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Of course you are correct. Idiots of every persuasion can in fact pick the wrong animal and screw it up.

A person has to be smart about it. It took me 3 visits to determine that the last dog I adopted was in fact, the right dog. He is a malamute/shepherd cross and the best dog I have ever owned. I've had him now for 5 years and I get the heebie jeebies when I think about the day that, as is inevitable with every pet, I have to say goodbye.

I just have a real hate-on for the animals as industry attitude and I really cannot even volunteer at a shelter because I would wind up one of those crazy lady hoarders with too many animals. (I give 'em money instead)

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Of course you are correct. Idiots of every persuasion can in fact pick the wrong animal and screw it up.

I wouldn't always call them idiots... just naive. Some people think that with pets, you can just fall in love with them at the shelter and that'll get you through everything. Then they realize they're in way over their heads, whether that's in terms of time committment, finances, energy, or whatnot. Some of them I want to track down and shoot; others, I just feel really sorry for. Though never as sorry as I feel for the pets.

ETA: I volunteered at local shelters from the time I was old enough until a few years ago. Couldn't take them home because I'm allergic to everything. Now I'm too allergic to even really have them, let alone work in a shelter, and the ones I have are going to have to be my last. I feel really guilty every time I drive by the place.

Second edit: People who run puppy mills are right up there with child rapist/murderers on the list of people I absolutely hate. I don't mind legitimate breeders who care for their puppies and are honestly interested in the health of the breed, though.

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
Newfoundland. They most non-aggressive dog I have ever seen. From kids jumping on there backs for a ride to horses and cows stepping on them and they still just keep walking.
2nd the Newfoundland.
They require min. excerise, and are lazy, calm, and the best dog ever. I have a newfie puppy (hard to potty train though) I also raised Great Danes, they are the same as the Newfie, although short haired. They both are AWESOME apartment dogs as well!!

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

A person has to be smart about it. It took me 3 visits to determine that the last dog I adopted was in fact, the right dog. He is a malamute/shepherd cross and the best dog I have ever owned. I've had him now for 5 years and I get the heebie jeebies when I think about the day that, as is inevitable with every pet, I have to say goodbye.

I just have a real hate-on for the animals as industry attitude and I really cannot even volunteer at a shelter because I would wind up one of those crazy lady hoarders with too many animals. (I give 'em money instead)

Yep, don't rush it. You are making a desision that will be with you for the next 10-15 years (if you are resposible). Take your time and make the right choice for you and for the animal. My last dog (another hound) died from renal failure in 2002. Despite the fact that I worked with animals for muc of the following 7 years, I never took any home long term (only to play nurse). When I was finally ready in 2007 for a new dog, I knew what I wanted. I waited almost 2 years; waiting for what was right for me. Yes, I had visited the Humane Society often and had numerous dogs I could have rescued from my job... but I waited until I was sure. I got an e-mail on a wednesday last January about a liter of bloodhounds... on Friday I am driving home with a 12 pound redhead sleeping next to me in the Jeep... FREE of course as I will not spend money to purchase an animal. 2 years of waiting and looking ended in a split second desision becasue I knew what I wanted... Take the time to ponder it... SO NOT make a hsty desision without taking that time to think it over, otherwise it will not turn out well for you or the dog...

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant
One small suggestion -

You said your apartment doesn't allow dogs considered vicious. I myself consider the chiuaha (whatever) as vicious.

One thing I suggest to all who are getting a dog (even though you already have one), is to get a book about raising dogs. There are some real pearls out there that can really help keep a pet from becoming a nightmare.

A buddy of mine has raised pit bulls for many years and they turn out to be smart, funny, friendly family pets (no - never when young children are around!), but they think they are lap dogs. It's all in the way dogs are raised.

I don't mean to make this a pro/anti pit bull thread, I only want to make a point that dogs become good or bad based much on the owner's raising & treatment of the animals as they grow with a bit 'o genetics tossed in.

Best of luck in finding the right dog.

-B

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I wouldn't always call them idiots... just naive. Some people think that with pets, you can just fall in love with them at the shelter and that'll get you through everything. Then they realize they're in way over their heads, whether that's in terms of time committment, finances, energy, or whatnot. Some of them I want to track down and shoot; others, I just feel really sorry for. Though never as sorry as I feel for the pets.

Second edit: People who run puppy mills are right up there with child rapist/murderers on the list of people I absolutely hate. I don't mind legitimate breeders who care for their puppies and are honestly interested in the health of the breed, though.
agree. puppy mills are a crime! the owners of the mill should be put in the same conditions they put there animals in!
my family has six dogs. And each one was given considerable thought before coming home. Three we rescued from being put down. One is almost twenty years old now, and still going strong. ^_^

+1 from someone that has nursed plenty of unwanted pups and kits back to health and found them good homes... there is nothing better you could do...
+1 agreed.
And then make the dog useful... Somethign that can never be said of a chihuahua. Eat, sleep, crap, yap, bite you when you piss it off...

LOL!! I have one and you just described her perfectly. Though we are working on the times she is ticked and tries to take your fingers off. She is getting better about it. They are not kid friendly dogs.

best of luck finding a dog.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
I grew up with a Beagle. He was such a cute, loving and entergetic little dog. He had a ton of energy but was very smart and well trained.
My other dog now lives with my parents. She is a malteese. Not really my style because she is less than 10 pounds and fluffy but she is full of personality! She loves people and was the easiest dog I've ever trained. She is very terrier like and enjoys hunting lizzards and chasing squirrels...don't let the long hair and bows fool you!
Another reccomendation is a German Shorthaired Pointer. A friend has one and I love that dog! They need a great deal of excersize but that's what I like about them. I would dog sit for them before I moved and I would take Catfish (best name ever) on pretty good distance runs then he would come home and try to be a giant lap dog. Although they are not for everyone because those dogs need a job or they will destroy your house.

A36

Forum Probie
Another thing to consider is how your lab/chihuahua (how is that even possible?) will tolerate having another dog to share their territory. My (ex)wife actually brought our black lab to the shelter to see how he'd interact with the yellow lab she wanted. How is your current dog around other dogs?

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Another thing to consider is how your lab/chihuahua (how is that even possible?) will tolerate having another dog to share their territory. My (ex)wife actually brought our black lab to the shelter to see how he'd interact with the yellow lab she wanted. How is your current dog around other dogs?

I had a cat at home, rescued from the shelter also. I took the cat's favorite toy to the dog on visit #2 and let him sniff it and play with it. I then took the toy back to the cat. He sniffed it and played with it. When I finally brought the dog home, I put him in the porch. The cat came to the window to see what that familiar odor was. When the dog was let into the house, the cat was put in another room with the door closed. The dog ran around and checked out the house. When he was comfortable, the cat was allowed to roam.

It seems like a lot of trouble, but within 3 hours, these animals were sleeping within 3 feet of each other. They have never become the best of buddies, but they tolerate each other and I have no fear of either getting hurt.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I wouldn't recommend a newfie if you are in a small place, but otherwise they are amazing dogs. I have a husky/australian shepherd mix that we adopted when she was 1 and she's a great size and wonderful dog. Boxers are also good dogs but extremely hyper.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks all, you responses and feedback has been very good.

@ Res-Q - I must say that I have been looking at various hounds and I think i'd very much like one. I will most likely try to train it for SAR. but of course i'd need some pointers on training them. Unfortunately, my wife doesnt want to get one because she thinks that they "look sad" all the time.

@ newfie lovers - I do think that it'd be a cool do, but I think my wife's allergies would kick up too much.

I'd love to have a husky or a HUGE St Bernard... but thats just me. there's no way were getting a fluffy or "yapper" dog like the one we have. the dog we have does very well with other dogs surprisingly... just not small ones.

any other suggestions... maybe pertaining to hound dogs?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
any other suggestions... maybe pertaining to hound dogs?

If your wife is allergic, have her come spend time with the individual dog before adopting. I notice that I'm more allergic to some dogs than others, even among littermates, and everyone's different in how they'll react. For me, hypoallergenic dogs are just as bad as any other. Some of my allergic friends swear long-haired dogs are better for them, but not for me.

As for hounds, I've had Rhodesian Ridgebacks (mixes and purebreds) in the past and been very happy. Would be glad to talk about them. Weimeraners are pretty similar in just about everything but color, so I'd second that recommendation as well. I hear Thai Ridgebacks are also similar, but they don't often turn up in shelters, and I've never actually cared for one. Dalmatians have tended to be one-person dogs, in my experience. It's a shame you can't get pit bulls, Rotties, or Dobermans... I've had good experiences with all. They're only as dangerous as any other dog can be--I've run across violent examples of all sorts of breeds.

They're not hounds, but it's also hard to go wrong with labs. :) Same for goldens, but with a lot more hair. With any popular breed, though, watch out for puppy mills. You can find yourself dealing with a very sick dog and some serious vet bills very quickly. With rescues, make sure you find out why they were put up for adoption... if a rescue organization tries to dodge the question, they're not reputable, but some otherwise good ones won't bring it up first.

In an apartment, I wouldn't recommend beagles... some of them are serious howlers, and the habit can be really hard to train out. Wouldn't recommend the really huge breeds because they usually don't live as long. Don't get young greyhounds, whippets, Salukis, or anything else that loves to run if you can't at least take them to an off-leash dog park often.

Good luck!