Advice for a teacher

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Hello all. Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

I am looking for advice on getting some better first aid training. My local Red Cross has been very unhelpful when I called.

I'm a teacher. I want to be better prepared for the various injuries that happen when you take a group of students anywhere. I have been teaching high school and middle school, with a field course for high school kids out west each summer. I just took a group whale watching for the weekend and ended up with a broken arm, a finger smashed in a door, and spectacular food poisoning.

We had to wait around for the ambulance to get there and I realized that I don't really know what to do.

I do have CPR already, and keep that updated. What type of classes should I be taking to learn more first aid? What type of organizations would offer these classes? I don't mind paying, or commuting a class that takes a while to complete. I'm in Washington, DC.

Thanks in advance for your help

reaper

Working Bum
Normally the red cross is very good at them. If they are not helping you, you can look at local community colleges for first aid classes. Or maybe take an EMT class. Takes about 3-6 months at night classes. It is up to you, how musch do you want to learn.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
How exactly did the conversation with the Red Cross go? After all, teaching classes are their bread and butter. I'm surprised they didn't get you signed up for a class.

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
The conversation with the Red Cross went like this

Me: I'd like to take some first aid classes
Them: Ok, we have CPR
Me: I already took that class, so I don't need CPR. What kind of first aid classes do you guys offer? I am interested in a beginner sort of class.
Them: You're sure you don't want CPR?
Me: .......... No.
Them: We have CPR on Monday Thursday and Saturday nights!

Maybe I'll just call back and hope I get a better volunteer this time.

As for an EMT class... I'm not sure. It's not how much I want to learn, it's how much time I have. I used to teach A&P at a local community college until we moved this year so that part would be ok. Could be interesting! I've liked reading the forms here.

Thanks for the advice.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I have found that first aid classes are rarely offered anymore because there is such lack of interest.

Best advice, go to EMT-B class, it is 120 hours of first aid.

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
I have found that first aid classes are rarely offered anymore because there is such lack of interest.

Best advice, go to EMT-B class, it is 120 hours of first aid.

Really? Maybe that's why the Red Cross person didn't have info.

How much of a time commitment are we talking to do an EMT-B course? I teach school, so I don't exactly have a lot of free time. I wish teaching meant I was done when the bell rang at 2:45, lol.

Local community colleges would do EMT-B, right? When I taught A&P, the students were going on to all kinds of careers. I can start investigating at some local schools. Maybe I could just take part of it or something. My teaching licenses are enough for me.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Really? Maybe that's why the Red Cross person didn't have info.

How much of a time commitment are we talking to do an EMT-B course? I teach school, so I don't exactly have a lot of free time. I wish teaching meant I was done when the bell rang at 2:45, lol.

Local community colleges would do EMT-B, right? When I taught A&P, the students were going on to all kinds of careers. I can start investigating at some local schools. Maybe I could just take part of it or something. My teaching licenses are enough for me.

various schools stretch out the curriculm in a variety of ways and schedules. Most EMS students work while going to school, so it is usually set up to be adult education.

as for the hours, the normal minimum is 120, some classes add hours. recertifying requires a very minimal time commitment of a handful of hors every couple of years. Many actully find attending the continuing education requirements enjoyable.

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
various schools stretch out the curriculm in a variety of ways and schedules. Most EMS students work while going to school, so it is usually set up to be adult education.

as for the hours, the normal minimum is 120, some classes add hours. recertifying requires a very minimal time commitment of a handful of hors every couple of years. Many actully find attending the continuing education requirements enjoyable.

Ok, great, thanks! :)

And yes, I'm well trained in the recertifying game. I have to keep up my various teaching licenses with new graduate classes every year. I don't mind that part.

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
The conversation with the Red Cross went like this

Me: I'd like to take some first aid classes
Them: Ok, we have CPR
Me: I already took that class, so I don't need CPR. What kind of first aid classes do you guys offer? I am interested in a beginner sort of class.
Them: You're sure you don't want CPR?
Me: .......... No.
Them: We have CPR on Monday Thursday and Saturday nights!

Maybe I'll just call back and hope I get a better volunteer this time.

As for an EMT class... I'm not sure. It's not how much I want to learn, it's how much time I have. I used to teach A&P at a local community college until we moved this year so that part would be ok. Could be interesting! I've liked reading the forms here.

Thanks for the advice.

It may help you to know that when I took my EMT class one of my classmates was a middle school teacher. It was a time commitment for her but she got it done without too much stress. She was very good at organizing her time though. She would often arrive to class early and grade papers while waiting for class to start.

It may seem obvious that we would push you in the direction of an EMT course but it really is a nice amount of knowledge to have if you're working with kids, especially since it seems that your classes have a field trip/hands on component. You find that you don't have to have a lot of equipment to do a decent assessment and get a start on what's going on to be helpful. That being said, I can understand why you might be looking for something more along the lines of a general first aid class. Either way I'm glad to see that you're willing to further your education for the safety of your students!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It may help you to know that when I took my EMT class one of my classmates was a middle school teacher. It was a time commitment for her but she got it done without too much stress. She was very good at organizing her time though. She would often arrive to class early and grade papers while waiting for class to start.

It may seem obvious that we would push you in the direction of an EMT course but it really is a nice amount of knowledge to have if you're working with kids, especially since it seems that your classes have a field trip/hands on component. You find that you don't have to have a lot of equipment to do a decent assessment and get a start on what's going on to be helpful. That being said, I can understand why you might be looking for something more along the lines of a general first aid class. Either way I'm glad to see that you're willing to further your education for the safety of your students!

You do not need equipment to do a reasonable assessment. You need knowledge. As an example, you can substitute percussion and tactile fremitus for lung auscultation.

EMS providers should especially be familiar and capable with nontechnological assessment.

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Mostly, I don't want to be helpless when a kid is injured, ever again. I'm perfectly happy to wait for you all to come along with the ambulance, but that's not always an immediate option.

I take kids down in caves, in the backcountry in CO, ect. Crap happens. Particularly when they are 14 and have a girl around to impress, you know? I had a kid smack his head on a stalactite, fall, hit his head again on the way down hard enough that he was bleeding everywhere and totally not making sense. All while throwing up. The only way out of the cave, a mile under ground, was to continue the hike forwards or hike backwards. It would have been good to know that what I did for him didn't make anything worse. The broken arm on the whale watching trip happened when the kid was trying to leap between balconies at 3am in the hotel to get to the girl's room next door. :wacko:

The trips out west where we are in the back country, there is a RN on our staff. But I still find myself half a mile away from him with a group that's got an issue. I don't like that.

Good to know that another middle school teacher did it! I have no idea how I'd do the required time in a hospital or whatever, but I'd hate to get that far and then not get the piece of paper. I'm going to have to think about it.

Thanks again for your advice. I'll let you know what I find out about the programs around here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Particularly when they are 14 and have a girl around to impress, you know? I had a kid smack his head on a stalactite, fall, hit his head again on the way down hard enough that he was bleeding everywhere and totally not making sense. All while throwing up.

That is awesome.

Did he get the girl?

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
It is very hard to get the girl while you have your pissed off science teacher keeping close track of you for the rest of the trip AND the pissed off teacher is the one driving your van.

Every time I caught him trying to get all snuggly with her in the back of the van I blasted some terrible music.

I did have another kid get the girl by drinking the entire sample bottle of algae and mud filled pond water on a dare. She thought that was sexy apparently.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
First responder class wouldn't hurt.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It is very hard to get the girl while you have your pissed off science teacher keeping close track of you for the rest of the trip AND the pissed off teacher is the one driving your van.

No sympathy or appreciation of a good effort. :)

I did have another kid get the girl by drinking the entire sample bottle of algae and mud filled pond water on a dare. She thought that was sexy apparently.

I think that qualifies as deviance.

On the other hand, it probably was rather benign. Beats buying flowers.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Could you tell me what that is, please? I googled the phrase but got a bunch of different things. I'd be doing this in VA, if the state rules matter.

see EMR aka "Emergency Medical Responder".

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_first_responder

Try the surrounding counties, which have a lot of volunteers and evening classes. Their academies may offer first aid to the public, or you might even be able to take a first responder course without joining a department. Try Montgomery, PG, Arlington, and Fairfax.

You do not need equipment to do a reasonable assessment. You need knowledge. As an example, you can substitute percussion and tactile fremitus for lung auscultation.

EMS providers should especially be familiar and capable with nontechnological assessment.

Is there really any way to learn that kind of thing independently? I don't think I know anyone who could teach me, but I've been curious since hearing about it.

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
Mostly, I don't want to be helpless when a kid is injured, ever again. I'm perfectly happy to wait for you all to come along with the ambulance, but that's not always an immediate option.

I take kids down in caves, in the backcountry in CO, ect. Crap happens. Particularly when they are 14 and have a girl around to impress, you know? I had a kid smack his head on a stalactite, fall, hit his head again on the way down hard enough that he was bleeding everywhere and totally not making sense. All while throwing up. The only way out of the cave, a mile under ground, was to continue the hike forwards or hike backwards. It would have been good to know that what I did for him didn't make anything worse. The broken arm on the whale watching trip happened when the kid was trying to leap between balconies at 3am in the hotel to get to the girl's room next door. :wacko:

The trips out west where we are in the back country, there is a RN on our staff. But I still find myself half a mile away from him with a group that's got an issue. I don't like that.

Good to know that another middle school teacher did it! I have no idea how I'd do the required time in a hospital or whatever, but I'd hate to get that far and then not get the piece of paper. I'm going to have to think about it.

Thanks again for your advice. I'll let you know what I find out about the programs around here.

Of course, it's ideal to have a program that gives you lots of experience in the hospital and on an ambulance but not all programs require a lot of time. My program required 4 hours in the ER, 4 in triage and 36 on the ambulance. Most of us chose to do more hours in each department for our own experience but it wasn't required. There are some programs that require less and some that require more. It's worth looking into.

Medical First responder is a good direction to go in as well but that required hospital and ambulance hours at the school I went to as well. It's very school/program dependent. Especially, if it's a class put on by a local ambulance agency vs a community college class. Often the requirements are very different between the two.

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_first_responder

Try the surrounding counties, which have a lot of volunteers and evening classes. Their academies may offer first aid to the public, or you might even be able to take a first responder course without joining a department. Try Montgomery, PG, Arlington, and Fairfax.

I'm just over the river in Fairfax, actually. I'll try their website! Would be nice to do that instead of the whole undergrad thing all over again.

Venificus- the kid who smacked his head in the cave tried his best to get a phone number from the very attractive female EMS person who showed up. She wasn't impressed.