6 months unconditional availability

martor

Forum Crew Member
The private company I work for has just reduced the EMT hourly rate so I am looking to move on from it. I have been working as an EMT for 4 months, no prior job experience. I planning on applying for Rural/Metro and AMR in San Diego. I dont really want to move on to another private without a 911 contract. I wish to work on a Bridge unit. What I am worried about is:

I heard that those companies are asking for a 6 months unconditional availability period and working full time.
I can handle the full time if it really is a deal breaker, but I am going to school full time and I can't work for 2 days of the week.

Any suggestions or extra information?

MrJones

Iconoclast
The private company I work for has just reduced the EMT hourly rate so I am looking to move on from it. I have been working as an EMT for 4 months, no prior job experience. I planning on applying for Rural/Metro and AMR in San Diego. I dont really want to move on to another private without a 911 contract. I wish to work on a Bridge unit. What I am worried about is:

I heard that those companies are asking for a 6 months unconditional availability period and working full time.
I can handle the full time if it really is a deal breaker, but I am going to school full time and I can't work for 2 days of the week.

My suggestion: Apply, and should you get an interview, lay your scheduling issue on the table. They'll either be willing to work with you on it or they won't. If the it's the former, congratulations, you've got a new job. If the latter, all you've lost is a few hours of your time (while, at the same time, gaining valuable interviewing experience).

VCEMT

Forum Captain
You want a job? You want to work? Get over it. Not willing to sacrifice, not someone I'd hire.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
You want a job? You want to work? Get over it. Not willing to sacrifice, not someone I'd hire.

What are you talkin about? It's not like he is saying he can't work on two days because of his sand volleyball league, he is going to school. I doubt anyone would sacrifice going to school to get an EMT job.

I agree with the above post. Just lay out your schedule and say there are two days you can not work and see what they say. That is not a extraordinary request and I bet most places will work with you. I doubt they could find anyone that could work any day during anytime for 6 months. And if they are not flexible then it's probably a company you do not want to work for.

Joe

Forum Captain

Exactly what i was thinking! Lately it has pissed me off that so many people treat ems like a resume stop. Wonder why ems is stuck in the stone age? Because people treat this job like they work at walmart. You dont see paid ff's pulling this crap. Neither do cops. If it was up to me i wouldn't hire anyone that didn't have full availability.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
What are you talkin about? It's not like he is saying he can't work on two days because of his sand volleyball league, he is going to school. I doubt anyone would sacrifice going to school to get an EMT job.

I did. Granted I was in community college for liberal arts and I work EMS to be a firefighter. I took the job and left school to get the clock started on my pension. Assuming I make fire in January i can retire at 39. (And I just put all my liberal arts credits towards my nursing degree and am back to it now)

But, to the OP, school is much more important dont listen to VCEMT. Sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder.

Not working EMS isn't the end of the world. If you can't find an EMS job you may have to stock shelves at target until you do. Do not give up school to work a job with unlivable wages.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Exactly what i was thinking! Lately it has pissed me off that so many people treat ems like a resume stop. Wonder why ems is stuck in the stone age? Because people treat this job like they work at walmart. You dont see paid ff's pulling this crap. Neither do cops. If it was up to me i wouldn't hire anyone that didn't have full availability.

Ok...only hire people with full availability and make it impossible for students to work and go to school. That sounds like a great way to keep EMS stuck in the Stone Age. Only hire EMT-Basic "Lifers"

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Go to the interview, explain the situation, offer to work every single weekend night. Or whatever they have trouble staffing. If it works, it works, if not, not much lost.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Ok...only hire people with full availability and make it impossible for students to work and go to school. That sounds like a great way to keep EMS stuck in the Stone Age. Only hire EMT-Basic "Lifers"

Right...

I quit a job, because they wouldn't work with me on my one day I needed off. After they agreed to a month earlier. There is no way I could stay a basic forever, and why would the company want me too? There are fewer medics then basics.

Joe

Forum Captain

Or work for a company that pays you to go to medic school/quit and go to medic school. Or work for a volly company.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Or work for a company that pays you to go to medic school/quit and go to medic school. Or work for a volly company.

I did go to one who paid me to go to medic school. Then a month after it started, they said I could have the time off anymore.

So I could either quit school and pay them back, or quit the company and pay them back.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
OP, maybe look into hospital tech jobs. Most hospitals are very flexible and willing to work with students.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

Or take your future into your own hands and make it happen for yourself.

People who sit around and hope to have their hand held down the road to success often end up being a "lifer" EMT and never doing more with their lives.

Anything worth having is worth working for. Be the orchestrator of your own destiny.

OP
OP
M

martor

Forum Crew Member
Thank you for the advices, but i was looking for more of a "is it true that some companies require that 6 months period."

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Thank you for the advices, but i was looking for more of a "is it true that some companies require that 6 months period."

Ok......It's true that some companies reuquire a 6 month probation period which usually has crappy requirements, such as working shifts no one else wants.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Here in Albuquerque, the primary 911 company will not hire anyone as part time or PRN unless they have six months minimum time working for them. And yes you must have completely open availability for that, since you're in float pool at least the first six months to a year

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

A company can require whatever they want. They reserve the right to make their own rules unless they pertain to state/federal regulations.

If you agree to their terms in order to take the position then that's on you.

MrJones

Iconoclast

Then this:

...I heard that those companies are asking for a 6 months unconditional availability period and working full time.

should have said this:

...I heard that those companies are asking for a 6 months unconditional availability period and working full time.

Is this true?

The answers you received were exactly in line with the question you asked; they were suggestions and extra information.

SubiEmt

Forum Crew Member

Most GOOD company's require a 6 months probationary period. This means working :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty graveyard :censored::censored::censored::censored:s and like discussed on the last page, "days the others don't want to work." Tell them during your interview you're not able to work 2 days out of the week between x:00 and x:00 and they should work with you! Goodluck