FDNY EMS Candidates

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
My process started September of 2014 doing the application. Was notified in April of 2015 of my score and list number. Shortly after that got the letter for the physical agility, which took place in May. Now, I'm on the medic list which is significantly lower on numbers than the basic list (I think there's a total of 130 that qualified for the list to start with, compared to the 1000+ on the basic). At the agility, they told us we would be moving along the process very quickly, since they wanted us for Septembers class. After the agility, the intake took place about a week later. A few weeks after that I got the medical and psych letters, which were 2 days apart. I returned 30 days after the medical for the re-weigh in and made it as I mentioned earlier. Besides having to stop back in to give my investigator some paperwork I was waiting forever for, it really is just a waiting game, which is where I'm at now.

Side note- the outstanding paperwork I had was from the department of labor. I was on unemployment 11 years ago, and my investigator requested just a print out of the benefits I received. I thought that would be simple enough. Wrong. Since my benefits were from a while ago, my records were not online to just print out. So I sent an email through the website (because of course, there is no number to call and talk to a human), which came back with a return to send a letter requesting my benefits with the dates I was on it and my social. After not hearing again at all, I sent in a FOIL request through the website, which I then began a trail of snail mail and fax responses. I finally got a little postcard in the mail saying they had all my info, and that it would take 20 days to send me the info. Luckily, my investigator was very understanding and when it finally came a few weeks ago, I ran in and dropped it off to her. Moral of the story, if you were ever on unemployment, put in for your records right away. It takes well over a month to get something so simple.

emtBnyc13

Forum Crew Member
Exam 4004
List number 8**
Okay so I officially finished everything by January- medical, psychological, physical, intake. Around March I recieved a letter with option 2 checked off:
"You were considered and not selected for appointment or promotion to three separate vacancies. Such ineligibility is only for the above named agency (EMT Fire). Therefore, you can be recertified to that agency only upon that agency's request."

I spoke with Peggy Quinn in April and she told me that this is NOT a DQ letter and that I should continue waiting. It DOES NOT say Disqualification anywhere on the letter. A couple of weeks ago my investigator called me back after I asked him where I stand in the process. He told me to reapply, but I am still on the list because I confirmed with DCAS.
Has anyone ever gotten this letter?? If so what was the outcome????
I am really hoping to be in September.

This is exactly the same letter that i received. You need to call dcas and get put back on the list...not fdny call dcas itself...you will have to write a letter asking to be put back on the list. I plan to reapply in September regardless. I never got a reason as to why i got skipped so many times either. Sucks but your not DQed.

Hunter118

Forum Captain
This is exactly the same letter that i received. You need to call dcas and get put back on the list...not fdny call dcas itself...you will have to write a letter asking to be put back on the list. I plan to reapply in September regardless. I never got a reason as to why i got skipped so many times either. Sucks but your not DQed.
When did u receive that letter ? So if u get skipped X amount of times they give out a letter ?

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
when is graduation for this july class? and when do you think calls will start going out for September academy.

MForest

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys,

I take creatine and a pre-workout drink before I lift at the gym or play sports. Will this hurt me when I go in for my medical? What do they test for at the medical? Mainly the blood test. Is it a drug test and do those supplements come up on a drug test if it is that?

Last edited:

Hunter118

Forum Captain
Hey guys,

I take creatine and a pre-workout drink before I lift at the gym or play sports. Will this hurt me when I go in for my medical? What do they test for at the medical? Mainly the blood test. Is it a drug test and do those supplements come up on a drug test if it is that?
I take pre workout also and it didn't affect me at all . I'd still just drink nothing but water until your medical tho .. Creatine is not a drug nor is pre workout u'll be fine

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
Big Frank from BHS definitely mentioned something about creatine at the medical. Not that it dq's you, but that they would notice the elevated levels in your blood test. You're safer just like hunter said, just drink water and eat well before hand.

MForest

Forum Crew Member
Big Frank from BHS definitely mentioned something about creatine at the medical. Not that it dq's you, but that they would notice the elevated levels in your blood test. You're safer just like hunter said, just drink water and eat well before hand.
Ok thanks for the heads up. What else does it test for?

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
Your run of the mill blood tests from what I remember, all the cholesterols, sugar, blood cell counts, electrolytes etc. A week or so after they'll send you all the results.

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
when do calls usually go out before an academy? when do you guys think they'll go out. and when does this class graduate.

Hunter118

Forum Captain
when do calls usually go out before an academy? when do you guys think they'll go out. and when does this class graduate.
It's usually two or three weeks before the academy being that the academy is late sept. I think calls will start at the beginning of September

FireRescue1322

Forum Probie
So I'm from test 5003 and I'm done with all the processing just waiting for the call. However I tried emailing my investigator today and I got an automatic reply saying that he is no longer an investigator my new one will contact me soon. Apparently he hasn't been mine since 7/27/15 and I haven't got a call from my new investigator yet and it's been almost a month. Has anybody else had this problem or had the same thing happen to them?

Mugs89

Forum Captain
If they are not calling you its a good thing....the new investigator isn't going to call you just to say hi

FireRescue1322

Forum Probie
Haha obviously but I figured maybe they would send some sort of blast email to everyone because I'm sure I'm not the only one. What if I needed to bring them something and I don't know who my investigator is now..

Bluestripe

Forum Crew Member
So I'm from test 5003 and I'm done with all the processing just waiting for the call. However I tried emailing my investigator today and I got an automatic reply saying that he is no longer an investigator my new one will contact me soon. Apparently he hasn't been mine since 7/27/15 and I haven't got a call from my new investigator yet and it's been almost a month. Has anybody else had this problem or had the same thing happen to them?
Who was yours

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
My friend I think had that same guy. She did get a call from her new investigator, and it was just asking if she wanted any of the request for information not sent to any of her current jobs. That's all she heard from him.