FDNY EMS Candidates

JJ34

Forum Probie
What happens at the re weigh in? And does it matter what I wear?

You tell the desk you're a candidate there for a reweigh. You get weighed, you sit and wait for the doctor, the doctor says if youre weight is fine or not.

jjay449

Forum Lieutenant
Quick question. Throughout this thread I have seen people mention no news is good news. I'm currently on exam 5003 and completed all the steps in the process would it be okay to check back in with my investigator every so often or just let it be? Thank you

Glenn

Forum Crew Member
So I spoke with some people today. On the third day in the academy, you're given a sheet, you have 6 choices, each borough and EMD. You pick from fav to least fav. Some people pick EMD as first, and some have it as their second or third choice and most as the last choice. That there fills up the need for EMD. Unless they need more they will randomly pick people. You also have the choice to switch with a classmate, they do their best to accomodate and not put people who dont want it. If you're put into EMD randonly and want to leave, you can, they try not to hold you, even though they can delay your paperwork, but eventually you'll be switched to the road and they will fill your spot with someone who wants emd. So its not so bad for us,

Glenn

Forum Crew Member
I was thrown into EMD right from the academy, I find dispatch very confusing and failed the test a few time. They keep recyeclying me and refuse to put me on to the street. You would think that they would let the new staff to get some street experience and offer END to people who really want to be there. I get harrassed verbally by instructors and higher staff, treated to be fired and ETC! I put in for transfers to ANY station on the street and thet keep denying me and tell me that's it's due to staffing! If I knew I would be treated like this, I never would of joined! I joined to be on the streets helping patients hands on, not over the phone. The union reps don't do a damn thing for you!

Last edited:

Mugs89

Forum Captain
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that the catch of going into the January class? 2 yr EMD commitment?

Glenn

Forum Crew Member
My title is EMT, and I never signed anything that states that. I had to call Peggy becuse I never received my notice to start the academy and received it after I started. All Peggy asked me is would I be interesed, I said I can see if I like it and she told me that I can always trasfer out. I never would of signed anything thats says I wound be an EMD for two years.

Thanks,
Michael Glenn

Hunter118

Forum Captain
My title is EMT, and I never signed anything that states that. I had to call Peggy becuse I never received my notice to start the academy and received it after I started. All Peggy asked me is would I be interesed, I said I can see if I like it and she told me that I can always trasfer out. I never would of signed anything thats says I wound be an EMD for two years.

Thanks,
Michael Glenn
To be honest I'm surprised the kept u after failing the test multiple times it sucks that you're in this situation but I guess u just have to deal with it until you're able to transfer out , either that or find a new job I know a lot of the city hospitals are hiring

Glenn

Forum Crew Member
I have always wanted to be an EMT then work to be a Paramedic for FDNY and that is why I signed on to this, All I want to do is work in ANY ambulance unit at this time. There is a another guy that they are receycling for the fourth time and treating him the same if not worse than me. we should of been on the streets already.

Hunter118

Forum Captain
I have always wanted to be an EMT then work to be a Paramedic for FDNY and that is why I signed on to this, All I want to do is work in ANY ambulance unit at this time. There is a another guy that they are receycling for the fourth time and treating him the same if not worse than me. we should of been
Thanks, I appreciate it
be thankful bro there's dudes like me still waiting on the job and there's ppl that want the job but are not qualified I know where you're coming from tho

billwill

Forum Lieutenant
I have always wanted to be an EMT then work to be a Paramedic for FDNY and that is why I signed on to this, All I want to do is work in ANY ambulance unit at this time. There is a another guy that they are receycling for the fourth time and treating him the same if not worse than me. we should of been on the streets already.

Quit FDNY and get another job on an ambulance...easy solution.