Zoll Auto-Pulse

vamike

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone's squad or hospital use the Zoll Auto-Pulse? Any pros or cons? What is the cost of these units? I have read they are a great improvement over human cpr. Thanks for any input.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
You mean aside from the fact that the first clinical trial was stopped because they were causing gruesome injuries, and the preliminary results of the second show no improvement over conventional CPR? All of this for only $15k and $100 a band. They are marketed as a way to make CPR safer in moving vehicle, however we really shouldn't be transporting non-ROSC patients per the AHA.

The only literature I've seen suggesting the Autopulse is superior to CPR is Zoll's marketing spiel. All in all, the money is probably FAR better spent on public access AEDs and community CPR programs if you want to make a real affect on survival rates.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
My service has them. I dont care to use them. They are big, heavy, and just another device that would have to be hauled in. The benefits of the device dont overcome the hassle.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
We use the Thumper. I actually like it because it gives you more flexibility in the truck. We do not bring it in but do use it on the rig.

BEorP

Forum Captain
You mean aside from the fact that the first clinical trial was stopped because they were causing gruesome injuries, and the preliminary results of the second show no improvement over conventional CPR? All of this for only $15k and $100 a band. They are marketed as a way to make CPR safer in moving vehicle, however we really shouldn't be transporting non-ROSC patients per the AHA.

The only literature I've seen suggesting the Autopulse is superior to CPR is Zoll's marketing spiel. All in all, the money is probably FAR better spent on public access AEDs and community CPR programs if you want to make a real affect on survival rates.

Very well said. I wish more people would listen to this rather than being taken by Zoll's marketing.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
We ALWAYS use an autopulse. I havent done CPR with my hands in a long time. Maybe for like 1 minutes while we set the autopulse up.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Autopulse? I thought those were called EMTs. Haha :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Let's not be mean to the brave men in the big red trucks. After all, if it wasn't for them, who knows how many cats would have had to get down from trees themselves? Won't somebody think of the cats?!

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
Does anyone's squad or hospital use the Zoll Auto-Pulse? Any pros or cons? What is the cost of these units? I have read they are a great improvement over human cpr. Thanks for any input.

The pros for it would depend on how your agency runs a code. If for instance you run a single Medic and a Emt on the ambulance, and if resources are limited it serves a role. That is if you do not get additional units in due time, there is only so much you can do due to the man power you have to work with (getting exhausted with continuous CPR) . In those cases such unit serves it's purpose, and it frees up medic hands to perhaps initiate other interventions.

If on the other hand you get unlimited resources, then it does not make much purpose to acquire such a unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
You people are hilarious...FFs are awesome to have around where I work, but I have to grant that most of them are EMTs, so they do a decent job on medical scenes before we get there, are happy to board patients, do CPR, lift assistance, BGL, vitals, and demographics...

As for the autopulse, seems like a waste of money when you have skilled providers on scene. Sometimes a patient codes on an ambulance, but isn't that what the CPR seat is for?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Not using the AutoPulse. Been told that my County is getting a grant for Lucas devices for the ALS services. I'm not sold one way or another. Good-quality CPR can be done by man too... But one has to care about doing it, not shooting the :censored::censored::censored::censored: with all onscene, etc.

RustyShackleford

Forum Crew Member
You people are hilarious...FFs are awesome to have around where I work, but I have to grant that most of them are EMTs, so they do a decent job on medical scenes before we get there, are happy to board patients, do CPR, lift assistance, BGL, vitals, and demographics...

As for the autopulse, seems like a waste of money when you have skilled providers on scene. Sometimes a patient codes on an ambulance, but isn't that what the CPR seat is for?

I think you took their sarcastic ribbing a little bit to heart...I'm sure your boyfriends on the FD can handle themselves.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Not using the AutoPulse. Been told that my County is getting a grant for Lucas devices for the ALS services. I'm not sold one way or another. Good-quality CPR can be done by man too... But one has to care about doing it, not shooting the :censored::censored::censored::censored: with all onscene, etc.

Again, I really wonder how much better off things would be it this money were put into public CPR education and/or public access AEDs or AEDs in police cars.

The gadget factor, and maybe the management thought of eliminating the human factor from CPR, is the only reason I see these things being popular.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Again, I really wonder how much better off things would be it this money were put into public CPR education and/or public access AEDs or AEDs in police cars.

The gadget factor, and maybe the management thought of eliminating the human factor from CPR, is the only reason I see these things being popular.

I have no doubt that it would make an enormous difference, but bystander CPR and PAD seems to be in the "too hard" basket. We know what saves lives: early CPR and early defib (and good post arrest care, which is where we come in)
Expensive pieces of crap with either no science, dodgy science or outright harm associated with them are much more fun however.

EMS is not driven by science on the whole (despite the best efforts of some of us). It is driven by tradition, fear, ignorance and manufacturers who are looking to make a buck.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
And I'm sorry for poking fun at the Basement Savers. Next time I arrive on station to see them bravely watching cable TV, heroically cooking a steak or gallantly sleeping on the couch, I shall be sure to salute them as the heroes they are...

squrt29batt12

Forum Crew Member
Around here they're called firefighters :p

That's a slap in the face to those stretcher fetchers! B)

Let's not be mean to the brave men in the big red trucks. After all, if it wasn't for them, who knows how many cats would have had to get down from trees themselves? Won't somebody think of the cats?!

And I'm sorry for poking fun at the Basement Savers. Next time I arrive on station to see them bravely watching cable TV, heroically cooking a steak or gallantly sleeping on the couch, I shall be sure to salute them as the heroes they are...

Lol, down here in the "big city" we've advanced, and we're all Firefighter/Paramedics with the exception of those grandfathered in.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

We've taken care of the human factor by sending all of arrest code summaries to Code Stat for review. If the crew doesn't meat strict levels of on chest time,rate and depth they get a peer review with the FTO. This goes along with using a highly defined arrest protocol. Our arrest performance has improved dramatically with this. Along with our nuero intact discharge rate.

Educate then train the medics and fancy worthless gadgets aren't needed.

Last edited by a moderator: