Your Best Advice

Cory

Forum Captain
I'm a young person who is planning on going into emergency medicine.

I"ll be going to college at UC (University of Cincinnati) soon, which has phenominal nursing and medical schools. They have a pretty solid EMS associates course as well.

So, what I ask of you is this: as a young person looking for a long future somewhere in the emergency medical world, what is the best adivce you can give me? What do you wish you would have done differently? What should I avoid? Where should I focus the most time and effort?

Some considerations: My "dream job" would be working as a paramedic in a pre-hospital system. As a matter of fact, it's all I think about some days. I've done a lot of volunteering and have a lot of insight into the job (for someone who isn't an EMS worker that is). However, I do NOT want to subject myself to a life of financial struggle. And no matter what, I don't want to be working on the streets forever. To be honest, it would be great if it could just be a small portion of my life. I'm coming from a prestigious high school, going to a University that has one of the best and most opportunistic Emergency Medicine programs around. There are five hospitals ON CAMPUS, two of which are major trauma centers that serve three states. Plus, I do want to have a family some day and I want to be able to give them more than I was ever given. Money isn't everything, but the reality of it is, when I'm considering subjecting myself to a life of working long hard hours for about 35-40k a year....well money definitely becomes something.

Nursing is something I am greatly considering, but ONLY in an ER setting, and I have no idea if that is necesarrily possible. Of course, with enough years of experience, I could work for UC Air Care as a nurse, seeing as they don't staff medics. But there's no guarantee that things will work out exactly like that.

And finally, I am scared that I won't have the discipline to stay in med school.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm a young person who is planning on going into emergency medicine.

I"ll be going to college at UC (University of Cincinnati) soon, which has phenominal nursing and medical schools. They have a pretty solid EMS associates course as well.

So, what I ask of you is this: as a young person looking for a long future somewhere in the emergency medical world, what is the best adivce you can give me? What do you wish you would have done differently? What should I avoid? Where should I focus the most time and effort?

Some considerations: My "dream job" would be working as a paramedic in a pre-hospital system. As a matter of fact, it's all I think about some days. I've done a lot of volunteering and have a lot of insight into the job (for someone who isn't an EMS worker that is). However, I do NOT want to subject myself to a life of financial struggle. And no matter what, I don't want to be working on the streets forever. To be honest, it would be great if it could just be a small portion of my life. I'm coming from a prestigious high school, going to a University that has one of the best and most opportunistic Emergency Medicine programs around. There are five hospitals ON CAMPUS, two of which are major trauma centers that serve three states. Plus, I do want to have a family some day and I want to be able to give them more than I was ever given. Money isn't everything, but the reality of it is, when I'm considering subjecting myself to a life of working long hard hours for about 35-40k a year....well money definitely becomes something.

Nursing is something I am greatly considering, but ONLY in an ER setting, and I have no idea if that is necesarrily possible. Of course, with enough years of experience, I could work for UC Air Care as a nurse, seeing as they don't staff medics. But there's no guarantee that things will work out exactly like that.

And finally, I am scared that I won't have the discipline to stay in med school.

Well I think that getting your emt-b on the side along with a full course load would be possible. Get your emt-b and get a feel for the field before you make any life altering decisions. In the future, if you want to pursue a paramedic degree, maybe some of your premed courses will fill some of the medic requirements but don't quote me on that, I'm not a medic, just making a hypothesis. Good luck, sounds like you got a good idea about your direction.

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
If you have the brains and resources to go through with medical school, which by the sounds of your post you do, then you should just go for it. Your obviously aware of the significant pay scale difference between the different paths of interest. As mentioned above, getting your EMT-B could never hurt. There are a few pre-med students in my class currently, just getting a feel for things to come. Your young, you have options!

terrible one

Always wandering
From reading your post I can't say I'd recommend a career as a medic. While some things are great about working as one others are not, as you pointed out in your post (long hours, low pay, sitting in street corners, etc.)

If you have the dedication and feel medicine is truly your passion go for the Md.
Nursing is also a great career choice these days with great pay, career advancement, job opportunities, pretty much everything a paramedic is not. You will still see your share of trauma and can move around to other dept's if get tired of the ER.

If you become a Dr or RN you could always go back and get your EMT/Medic and work/volunteer part time.
Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'd say go with nursing or medical school. And with nursing you also have hte opportunity to go to NP school afterwards if you want.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
In a recent randomised, double blinded, placebo controlled and meta-analysed trial nine out of ten chicks thought he with "DOCTOR" on the back of his jumpsuit was sexier than thou with "PARAMEDIC" on the back.

In another recently randomised, double blinded, placebo controlled and meta-analysed trial eight out of ten people agreed with Brown! :D

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
If you are reasonably young, have the smarts and dedication for it. Dr. would be the way to go. You can specialize in almost anything with Dr. in your resume. Next would be Rn. A little less time required and you can still specialize in many things. A degree in Paramedicine. Do you see where this is going? They all take various amounts of time and effort and the payoff is proportional.

The younger you are starting out the easier it is to put the time into education and the longer you have to reap the benefit. Think carefully about what you want to do and how much effort you are actually willing to put in. Let your conscience be your guide.

Best of luck in your endeavers.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
Being a paramedic isnt your dream job if money matters, if you dont want to stay outside, and if you dont want to work long hours.

Futhermore no matter what medical career you go in, its long hours and you will be away from your family.

If you dont have what the discipline for med school, then you wont have it for nursing or paramedic school.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

Forum Captain
Being a paramedic isnt your dream job if money matters, if you dont want to stay outside, and if you dont want to work long hours.

Futhermore no matter what medical career you go in, its long hours and you will be away from your family.

If you dont have what the discipline for med school, then you wont have it for nursing or paramedic school.

I think you're misunderstanding me here: being a paramedic IS my dream job, it always has. Being outside is definitely preferred. I'm not against the long hours, but later on in life they will take their toll and I know that very well. Money does matter though, so I'm willing to settle for something else. I just have to figure that out SOON as college is around the corner.

I'm aware that all medical professions, especially emergency medical professions, require long hard hours. But it is a difference of how much money I'm sending home in my absence.

The discipline for med school can't even be compared to nursing or paramedic school. I know what you're getting at: all three require time spent in class, in clinicals, shadowing, in labs, or at home studying. But the cost, length, and difficulty of medical school is a world of difference from the other two.

zmedic

Forum Captain
The real question isn't what you'd rather be doing now, but what you want to be doing at 40. The truth is that there are very few line medics who are still doing it after 15 years. So do you want to be a fire medic? A supervisor? I've seen a lot of my friends who did EMS decide in their 30s that they want more, and they are doing RN/PA programs. If you know that you might want to do that while you are still 18 you might as well go right to med school and save the time.

The thing about med school is that if you love the medicine it's not that bad. Because you don't mind the hours spent studying. If you aren't that excited about why exactly the heart works it isn't for you.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
The discipline for med school can't even be compared to nursing or paramedic school. I know what you're getting at: all three require time spent in class, in clinicals, shadowing, in labs, or at home studying. But the cost, length, and difficulty of medical school is a world of difference from the other two.

I completey disagree, Yes Med school is longer, but discipline had nothing to do wtih the length. Disipline comes down to putting school first before everything regradless of how long the program is. It is having the drive when it gets hards to say Im not quitting and I can get through this.

And doctors work over 80 hours a week during their residency.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

My bad, Doctor, I had no clue you had experience in that field, let alone that beyond highschool.

Educational discipline is the same throughout all venues of schooling. I can say that coming from elementary, middle, high, college and "technical" schooling. If you slack off, you'll fail. If you don't take it seriously, you'll fail.

The material you have to learn might be harder, or different, but that doesn't mean the discipline is any different. I'm sure JPIN and Vene can attest to that, let alone any adult that's been to college.

And what the heck does cost have to do with your ability to do well in school?

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
My bad, Doctor, I had no clue you had experience in that field, let alone that beyond highschool.

Educational discipline is the same throughout all venues of schooling. I can say that coming from elementary, middle, high, college and "technical" schooling. If you slack off, you'll fail. If you don't take it seriously, you'll fail.

The material you have to learn might be harder, or different, but that doesn't mean the discipline is any different. I'm sure JPIN and Vene can attest to that, let alone any adult that's been to college.

And what the heck does cost have to do with your ability to do well in school?

Oh god don't question the doc... :p :rolleyes:

JPINFV

Gadfly
And doctors work over 80 hours a week during their residency.

Actually, residency programs are capped at 80 hours now and residency programs that violate the cap can get in a lot of trouble.

zmedic

Forum Captain
As a fourth year med student, I'm going to jump in here. I'm not sure it's a matter of discipline, but more a matter of balance and good time management. For medic school you can say "I'm going to put my head down and just focus on this for a year and pick up the pieces of my life afterwards." Whereas in med school you are working just as hard, but need to find a way to sustain it for 7-10 years so you still need to find a way to work out, have relationships, do things that make you happy. Not that medic students never have fun but it's different.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
If you become a Dr or RN you could always go back and get your EMT/Medic and work/volunteer part time.
Good Luck

Ditto!

It's all about the time it takes, the investment required and the rewards. If you're going for big game ultimately, go for it now without spending time getting burnt out.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
You know, I'm just curious, since you keep saying that paramedicine is your dream gig - what exactly do you find appealing about it?

zmedic

Forum Captain
Only 12 hours a day, 7 days a week...well, it could be worse.

Um, sure 120 hours a week could be worse, or 200 hours a week. But 80 hours a week as a doc is pretty brutal. Especially since you don't do 12 hour shifts, but work a 30 hour shift every third or fourth day, then get half a day to sleep and come back to do a 11 hour shift the next day.