You might be a woman in EMS if...

Rin

Forum Captain
You might be a woman in EMS if you had to cuff under or hem up 6" of your uniform pants to keep them from dragging on the ground XD

You might be a woman in EMS if your heels don't reach the floor when you sit on the back bench seat OTL

You might be a woman in EMS if your partner has to adjust the seat all the way back when it's his turn to drive before he can even think about climbing in the truck.

You also might be a woman in EMS if you've ever had a partner seriously ask for details of what took you so long in the bathroom. Seriously, just don't ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You might be a woman in EMS if your partner has to adjust the seat all the way back when it's his turn to drive before he can even think about climbing in the truck.

I had to do the same thing last shift with a fillin partner. Said partner was not a woman, that is for sure.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
You might be a woman in EMS if your uniform pants (made for men) never fit right, causing you to never feel quite safe bending over, no matter how tight your belt is or how hard you worked at hiking them up beforehand.

EDIT: And this has caused you to casually start up a conversation in the presence of a supervisor about how great it would be if the uniforms were all one piece. Because, safety. Clearly *shifty eyes*

I don't know where in NM you are, but Neve's in ABQ stocks several brands of EMS trousers cut specifically for women (The Santa Fe store doesn't have them, nor does Kaufman's), might be worth stopping by and trying some of them on.

sendmoreparamedics

Forum Ride Along
You might be a woman in EMS if you bought your first pair of boots and they are a men's size and they were the ONLY pair that fit you in the whole store, and okay maybe they are a little big but that's okay because that's about as good as it gets. :p

lissa304

Forum Probie
after reading the many "you might be in ems if..." lists, i thought there were a few missing descriptions of women in ems. This is a good-natured post, i'm not trying to offend anybody and some of these are obvious over-exaggerations, so please keep it light-hearted. So, without further ado: You might be a woman in ems if:

-you are more comfortable in bdu's/ uniform pants than slacks

-you carry a wallet instead of a purse. And you bought it in the men's department.

- you've ever bought clothing from the men's department

- you have 2 standard hairstyle options: Cropped or in a ponytail

- the men in your agency are scared of you

- you have ever been asked by a man to lift/move something for him

- you've ever pretended to be an airhead in front of a patient just for laughs

-your partner warns patients about your 'charming personality'

-you own more pairs of boots than heels

-when getting 'dressed up' means changing in to yoga pants/jeans and a fd tee shirt

-you can get your way 99% of the time

- your everyday makeup consists of mascara and powder, if your feeling energetic

-you've ever walked into a bad scene and had that pause when all the male ff's and emt's wait to see if you'll freak out

-the men in your agency are so protective of you that you feel like you have 30 older brothers

- you automatically tuck in your shirt even when you're off-duty

-it took a year for your partner to stop asking if you wanted help

-you've had that short but... sweet conversation with your partner the first (and last) time he called you honey or sweety

- your wardrobe consists of:
-4 uniform shirts in various 'puffed-out stomach' styles
-several uniform pants in a range of up-to-your-ribcage high to crotch-between-your-knees
-a couple job shirts with your last name embroidered in unromantic block letters
- a few pair of comfortably worn jeans and sweatpants
- a stack of fd tee shirts and jackets
- 1 'sexy' dress that you can't remember the last time you wore

- you've ever want to (or actually) punched a ff/emt for trying to take things from you or do things for you when you clearly don't need help

- you've ever walked through a room full of ff's/emt's carrying 2 bags, a backboard and a monitor and no one looked twice or tried to help you

- you don't care if your boyfriend/girlfriend can cook or clean, but they better know how to do compressions and intubate

- you've ever unintentionally scared away a date by telling stories at dinner

- you're the smallest person in your agency, and you would rather go to the garage and get a 5 foot ladder than ask someone to reach something for you

please add more!
(these are all original, observations from my experience as a women in ems. Please do not share/reuse these without giving me credit.)

spot. On.

Beanie

Forum Probie
I'm not even in EMS yet, and a lot of those already apply. ;)

Anjel

Forum Angel

emschick1985

Medic
After reading the many "You might be in EMS if..." lists, I thought there were a few missing descriptions of women in EMS. This is a good-natured post, I'm not trying to offend anybody and some of these are obvious over-exaggerations, so please keep it light-hearted. So, without further ado: You might be a woman in EMS if:

-You are more comfortable in BDU's/ uniform pants than slacks

-You carry a wallet instead of a purse. And you bought it in the men's department.

- You've ever bought clothing from the men's department

- You have 2 standard hairstyle options: cropped or in a ponytail

- The men in your agency are scared of you

- You have ever been asked by a man to lift/move something for him

- You've ever pretended to be an airhead in front of a patient just for laughs

-Your partner warns patients about your 'charming personality'

-You own more pairs of boots than heels

-When getting 'dressed up' means changing in to yoga pants/jeans and a FD tee shirt

-You can get your way 99% of the time

- Your everyday makeup consists of mascara and powder, IF your feeling energetic

-You've ever walked into a bad scene and had that pause when all the male FF's and EMT's wait to see if you'll freak out

-The men in your agency are so protective of you that you feel like you have 30 older brothers

- You automatically tuck in your shirt even when you're off-duty

-It took a year for your partner to stop asking if you wanted help

-You've had that short but... sweet conversation with your partner the first (and last) time he called you honey or sweety

- Your wardrobe consists of:
-4 uniform shirts in various 'puffed-out stomach' styles
-Several uniform pants in a range of up-to-your-ribcage high to crotch-between-your-knees
-A couple job shirts with your last name embroidered in unromantic block letters
- A few pair of comfortably worn jeans and sweatpants
- A stack of FD tee shirts and jackets
- 1 'sexy' dress that you can't remember the last time you wore

- You've ever want to (or actually) punched a FF/EMT for trying to take things from you or do things for you when you clearly don't need help

- You've ever walked through a room full of FF's/EMT's carrying 2 bags, a backboard and a monitor and no one looked twice or tried to help you

- You don't care if your boyfriend/girlfriend can cook or clean, but they better know how to do compressions and intubate

- You've ever unintentionally scared away a date by telling stories at dinner

- You're the smallest person in your agency, and you would rather go to the garage and get a 5 foot ladder than ask someone to reach something for you

Please add more!
(These are all original, observations from my experience as a women in EMS. Please do not share/reuse these without giving me credit.)
You may be a female in EMS if miter nature sneaks up on you and you considered using an ABD pad in a pinch!!!

OKCEMT

Forum Ride Along
These are funny;
Reminds me of when my partner and I were precepting a young, small lady: She had to tell us (Chew us out) to let her lift one end of the cot, to prove that she could do it: told us "Stop being gentleman". Then on the next run she had to tell us "one of you get the other end, I can't do both" oops
Sounds about right!

Calico

Forum Probie
-elderly male patients suddenly feel so much better when "a pretty young thing like you" is in the back with them while "your little boyfriend is driving."

-elderly female patients tell you (and your male partner) upon your leaving the hospital, "Now you two be good in the back of that ambulance." And because she's deaf, the whole ED hears it.

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
Your regular partner inherently knows What Time of the Month it is without being told, and doesn't question when you state you need to stop at a grocery store or pharmacy.