You know you are an EMT/Paramedic when...

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
When you are off duty, see a very pregnant woman, and mentally beg her not to go into labor!

When you know which Convenience stores in your area give away free drinks or food, and all of the restaurants that give discounts!

If you can eat a burger and fries while drinking a coke, talking on the radio, changing the siren, and blowing the air horn while driving on the way to a call, which is only a few blocks away! And then you find yourself inhaling all meals, even when off duty!

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
There's a 7:30 AM? Odd, never knew.

What's AM you speak of... is it related to tat PM thing I hear my friends talk
about from time to time?

When your friends call you before they call 911

Friend had ear pain and called me and was like what should I do?! I asked em if they where holding the phone up to the air that hurt and they told me yes... lol told em to hang up, call a doctor and make sure they put the phone on the other ear.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Friend had ear pain and called me and was like what should I do?! I asked em if they where holding the phone up to the air that hurt and they told me yes... lol told em to hang up, call a doctor and make sure they put the phone on the other ear.

My friend calls me on a Saturday night saying she couldn't breathe (even though she sounded perfectly fine over the phone. cheery, even). I walked up stairs (since she was right above me), and she had left the door open for me. So I walk in, and its her and her friend on the floor staring at the ceiling laughing. They got high and wanted me to turn off the light.

I made sure to turn the light back on on my way out. :D

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Happens to me all the time. Sucks to be an EMT in college where every has drunken accidents.

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
Happens to me all the time. Sucks to be an EMT in college where every has drunken accidents.

This is too funny!! This just happened to me tonight - She calls and says

"OMG my husdband just fell down our spiral staircase and it looks like bones are sticking out of his ankle...its gross...what should I do??"

UMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me see.......

hang up and call 911 :ph34r:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
People used to try to pull the same thing on me. They finally all have gotten the clue that I can't really help them over the phone and if I'm with them I can't help a lot seeing as 9 times outta 10 i'm intoxicated haha

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
People used to try to pull the same thing on me. They finally all have gotten the clue that I can't really help them over the phone and if I'm with them I can't help a lot seeing as 9 times outta 10 i'm intoxicated haha

I wish people would learn these things. It doesn't help that I am prominently visible to the entire student body at hockey games doing my thing (getting payed to watch hockey with a bag full of tape and steri-strips), so I get people who I've never met asking me to look at their ankles at 2am. Sorry, but not only can I not do anything right here at this party, I am also inebriated and trying to get as far from work as possible.

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
When you watch anything medical on TV and pick apart why it's wrong

I do that all the time. My roommates hate watching medical shows with me. :rofl:

"My what nice veins you have"

I have complimented complete strangers on their veins and then realized I said it out loud (one of those oh :censored: moments for sure), but they were cool about it after a short conversation on why I had the thought. :rolleyes:

There have been times when I'll be sitting around with a group of friends and just take one of their arms and start palpating and tracing their veins. They don't even ask anymore.

cowboybigz

Forum Ride Along
I always kinda wanted a pair of clyedales named Budweiser and Bud Light, but that's for another thread.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
When one of your goddaughter's favourite 'toys' is an old EpiPen training device her godfather gave her.

:p

armywifeemt

Forum Lieutenant
When you've found yourself drawing a line through every blank space. or crossing out empty spaces, on a form or comment card you are filling out outside of work.

You've drawn a line through and initialled something you filled out inaccurately.. outside of work.

When your friends and family frequently ask you questions they should be asking their doctors... and you frequently know the answers, but refuse to tell them on the basis that they should be asking their doctors.

When a major factor in your decision to buy a particular vehicle is based on the fact that the back seat lays flat and you know that you may at some point need to utilize that functionality to take a nap. Making the decision based on the ability to carry more gear and/or extra uniforms etc applies as well.

Someone is trying to make plans with you and asks when you'll be off work and you tell them, "I'll let you know when I know."

If a dispatcher has ever left for the night, come back in the morning, noticed that you were STILL on, and taken enough pity on you to send you home "On time" on the back end of your 36 hour shift, even though they had runs pending.

You've gone to shift your POV from the steering column, even though that isn't where your shifter is...

You pull into the gas station to put gas in your POV and pulled in on the side you fill your truck from, even though you fill your POV from the opposite side.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
When you reset your milage gauge in your truck when you get in.

Grab for a microphone on the radio to tell dispatch something only to realize your in your POV.

Called dispatch when you got home and gave them your milage.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
When a major factor in your decision to buy a particular vehicle is based on the fact that the back seat lays flat and you know that you may at some point need to utilize that functionality...

to transport a patient/victim, just in case!

Last edited by a moderator:

dmc2007

Forum Captain
You put on a button down shirt that isn't your uniform and you instinctively reach for your shoulders to straighten non-existant epaulets.

untico

Forum Probie
when you are watching the news or a movie with family/friends and they talk about someone having a seizure or full arrest.. they stop and look at you and ask, so?.. is it true?

answer idk i wasnt there