Yet another example of why Facebook is a dangerous place...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Almost made an intemperate remark near the next of kin of a code victim on the street. I remember how close I came that day to shattering that poor woman.

If you'r going to "ventilate", do it anonymously. If being anonymous makes you get "keyboard kourage", then consider keeping a diary.

hoop762

Forum Crew Member
I deleted my Facebook 2 and a half years ago while in EMT school.

Best decision ever. So Much better without it.

Several of my co-workers have been reprimanded due to Facebook comments. Happens way too often.

Hopefully he will be able to find another job with another dept soon.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
This looks like either:

A. An over reaction by management

or

B. There is more to this story than is being told.

mycrofft

C. Someone snitched out a co-worker's post to management and management feels forced to "do something" to be politically correct.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
C. Someone snitched out a co-worker's post to management and management feels forced to "do something" to be politically correct.

I thought that was part of A. over reaction.

mycrofft

Sure. A matter of organizational survival and a factor in intramural gamesmanship.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Sure. A matter of organizational survival and a factor in intramural gamesmanship.

I think having facebook is fine. What I think about before I post anything remotely related to work is "I'm I okay with this being up online forever, and sitting in front of my boss and reading this to them?" If the answer is yes, then I post away. When I feel like hmmm, this is close to that line, I just cancel out and don't post.

If you want to not have facebook, that's fine. But I think in the next 20 years most of us are going to be expected to have some sort of online presence or risk being left behind. (Think about not having a cell phone today. 15 years ago plenty of people didn't. Now it'd be weird.)

So I think it would benifit most people to figure out how to be on social media and not put up things that will get them fired, rather than avoiding it all together.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Facebook is not evil and shouldn't scare anyone. It's the end user's responsibility about what they post and what information they provide.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Facebook is not evil and shouldn't scare anyone. It's the end user's responsibility about what they post and what information they provide.

might be scary if you own any of their stock :lol:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Can't really put it any better than this.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I think it would benefit most people to learn how to use Facebook. It irritates the hell out of me when people whine about Facebook privacy and their profiles are mostly set to public. It is possible to control who sees every single post you make. If I wanted to invite just my family to a BBQ, I can make a post only they can see. If I want to gripe about work I can make it so that not a single co-worker can see the post. I can make is so that all posts older than 6 months are hidden.

Facebook isn't evil, people are idiots.

OP
OP
C

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
About a year and a half ago I deleted everything from Facebook. Every post, link or video I posted was cleared out. Took me about an hour a day for 4-5 days, but all that's left is my profile with a picture, basic information (city I live in, employer, education) and my likes which have been run through with a fine tooth comb.

I know deleting something from Facebook isn't actually 'deleting' it, but my privacy settings were relatively strict before that, so I don't think there is anything damaging out there that could be found via Google. (I've tried!) Now the only way I communicate with my Facebook friends is via private message.

Only downside: I've had a couple people get pissed thinking that I've restricted them from seeing my profile. It takes a second for me to explain that what they see is all there is, I'm not purposely trying to hide things from them. :p

Anjel

Forum Angel
I've got in trouble for a post on fb.

Now I'm careful and private.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
You can write anything on facebook if you follow these two rules:

1: Would you say this in front of your boss?
2: Would you say this if you have a live national new crew filming you?

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
What ever happen to classical morals, "if don't have nothing nice to say, don't say anything ay all " people take death of a child very serious regardless of the content. Plus did you know people check Facebook when people apply for a job? Go ahead and brag about being a lady's man, getting drunk, high, or being a bad *** lets see how that helps in getting a job or getting into a school :eek:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You can write anything on facebook if you follow these two rules:

1: Would you say this in front of your boss?
2: Would you say this if you have a live national new crew filming you?

While this is no doubt true, that is not why I have facebook. Facebook is a community of my creation, there is a reason why I am friends with some people and not others. What I say on facebook is for friends, not for my boss or any other public consumption. Therefore I lock the crap out of my profile for those that are not my friends, then I say what I want.

MRSA

Forum Crew Member
I hardly use my facebook.

But when I do, I prefer Dos Equis

Nah I kid. But seriously I use my facebook very rarely. When I do use it, its mostly for commenting on other peoples material.

And posting if I'm sick or having trouble that day. Sometimes my dispatchers read that and I mysteriously have a really nice day! It's awesome <3

I use that power sparingly, though. PRN.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
When I was in EMT school, a few students EMT careers were cut short(or at least seriously delayed) by facebook posts and pictures during our EMT clinicals/ride alongs.

Fortunately at the time I didnt even know what Facebook was(yes I might be a redneck).