Would you pass up free medic school while getting paid to be in class

Tk11

Forum Captain
I have an opportunity to go through medic school free and get paid during my hours in class. Only thing is the program is 8 1/2 months so it's fast paced and monday - friday and I don't know how good the program is. Would I be stupid to pass it up if I plan to go to medic school anyway?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I have an opportunity to go through medic school free and get paid during my hours in class. Only thing is the program is 8 1/2 months so it's fast paced and monday - friday and I don't know how good the program is. Would I be stupid to pass it up if I plan to go to medic school anyway?
Does "free" include any requirement to work for the people paying for some time period?
Also, is the program accredited and able to award college credit?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I had free EMT school courtesy of NYS, if it is paid by your work, there is ALWAYS, i repeat ALWAYS a catch.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Does "free" include any requirement to work for the people paying for some time period?
Also, is the program accredited and able to award college credit?
Requires a two year commitment to the company after everything is passed but I don't mind that because that could be full time part or contingent working only once a month.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I had free EMT school courtesy of NYS, if it is paid by your work, there is ALWAYS, i repeat ALWAYS a catch.

Motto to live by: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

Requires a two year commitment to the company after everything is passed but I don't mind that because that could be full time part or contingent working only once a month.

Well, do you like them? Also, you should check if that is true - I would bet that they would want a full time commitment. You should engage counsel to review this...I know I would.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Motto to live by: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

Well, do you like them? Also, you should check if that is true - I would bet that they would want a full time commitment. You should engage counsel to review this...I know I would.
I don't mind the company I thought it would be worth it to have my medic license paid for and get paid while in school since I plan to get my medic anyway. I was told it could be full time part time or once a month but yea I would definitely have to confirm that, I plan to do more within those two years. If anything I figured the money they're paying me for the 8 months of class I could use to pay them back if I quit.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
My program was 9 months long. Yeah it was intensive but easily done. I say go for it.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You did not state the most important part...is the pay they provide while attending school enough to live on and pay your bills?

If so, then I sure as heck would take advantage of this. However, read the fine print...what are your obligations should you fail or get kicked out? What are your obligations if you pass the class but cannot pass the National Registry or State Exam?

And if I give myself full time to a company's medic program (even though they are paying me and not charging me) I better damn well have a guaranteed full time position waiting on me. No part time, no per diem crap.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You did not state the most important part...is the pay they provide while attending school enough to live on and pay your bills?

If so, then I sure as heck would take advantage of this. However, read the fine print...what are your obligations should you fail or get kicked out? What are your obligations if you pass the class but cannot pass the National Registry or State Exam?

And if I give myself full time to a company's medic program (even though they are paying me and not charging me) I better damn well have a guaranteed full time position waiting on me. No part time, no per diem crap.

Very good advice. I know some guys that have done a similar deal and there was some interesting wording in the contract. Most places require a couple of years of full time work and if you can't work for any reason, or move to Part time, you pay back a prorated amount. There's also the "if you fail out, you pay back class costs and wages" clause. Read it very carefully, but understand you're probably not going to be able to redline any of it.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Read the fine print and make sure it's a good offer, but I would do it. Medic school isn't necessarily hard, it's balancing everything that is hard

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Good to hear, I've only talked to people in 12+ month programs and they tell me 8 1/2 will be too hard.

Hell is what you make of it.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe

Fine print notwithstanding, 8 1/2 months will be hard only if you have no prior background in Ana/Phys. If you have taken Ana/Phys classes and know your stuff, it shaves off a considerable amount off of the workload. And any program is just as good as you make it.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain

Pay is $11/hr 9am-1pm in class and 1:30-6 you hop on a truck and work. I heard if you fail you pay them the money back for the program I'm not 100% sure on that. I know if you quit out of the program or leave the company afer the program they send you a bill for the class. As far as not passing the Registry I'll have to find that out. I'm definitely going to ask more questions and get every bit of info I can before jumping into it. It just does sound very tempting since I plan to go through medic school anyway.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Very good advice. I know some guys that have done a similar deal and there was some interesting wording in the contract. Most places require a couple of years of full time work and if you can't work for any reason, or move to Part time, you pay back a prorated amount. There's also the "if you fail out, you pay back class costs and wages" clause. Read it very carefully, but understand you're probably not going to be able to redline any of it.
I was told I had to commit 2 years with the company after the program if I pass. And it didn't necessarily have to be full time for two years but I'll have to find out for sure. I don't mind the company anyway so I don't think I'd mind making a two year commitment but I plan to further my education after medic school and within those two years so I don't plan to work full time for two straight years so that's something definitely have to clear up.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I did not ask what the pay was...I asked if it is enough to live on and pay bills? Only you know that.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I would just be wary of anything that sounds like it might be a free lunch...
Also, if you're in class 9A-1P and working 1:30P to 6P, do you think that gives you the necessary amount of time to study? I would say, for me, 3-4 hours of study time is probably OK, but not ideal - 5-6 hours a night is better! Do they make you work weekends? Or do you have those off to study?

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
I would just be wary of anything that sounds like it might be a free lunch...
Also, if you're in class 9A-1P and working 1:30P to 6P, do you think that gives you the necessary amount of time to study? I would say, for me, 3-4 hours of study time is probably OK, but not ideal - 5-6 hours a night is better! Do they make you work weekends? Or do you have those off to study?
Weekends off

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I'd say, take it only if you're confident you have enough prior knowledge to pass the didactic part. If you don't, you'll be overwhelmed with the Ana/Phys and Pharm parts, and not enough time to study. Studying at work largely depends on how busy your system is and your ability to focus, so better to be realistic about it. It doesn't pay off making an irrational decision now and regret it later.