Would you pass up free medic school while getting paid to be in class

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
I'd say, take it only if you're confident you have enough prior knowledge to pass the didactic part. If you don't, you'll be overwhelmed with the Ana/Phys and Pharm parts, and not enough time to study. Studying at work largely depends on how busy your system is and your ability to focus, so better to be realistic about it. It doesn't pay off making an irrational decision now and regret it later.
I've taken A&P but I did not do as well in the class as I had wanted. I have all my books and homework and stuff still I could review before I start if needed.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I've taken A&P but I did not do as well in the class as I had wanted. I have all my books and homework and stuff still I could review before I start if needed.

The grade you got in the class isn't really important, as long as you have a sound understanding of how things work. Won't hurt brushing up on it though. Incidentally, pathophys - the books were discussed numerous times, I just cba to dig up a specific thread, it's probably in the 'Education' subsection; understanding pathophys is important, unless you've taken microbio (then pathophys won't be really challenging).

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I have an opportunity to go through medic school free and get paid during my hours in class. Only thing is the program is 8 1/2 months so it's fast paced and monday - friday and I don't know how good the program is. Would I be stupid to pass it up if I plan to go to medic school anyway?
I did a very similar thing.
School, books, etc paid for.
Similar duration of school (less clinicals and internship).

It's hard, but it's rewarding.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I did medic school for free in trade for 2 years to the FD that I worked for PT (24-36 hours a week).
At the same time as school 2 days a week, 8 hrs. a day plus clinicals (up to 36 hrs. a week) I worked for the FD 24-36 hours a week PLUS FT job 36 hours 1 week, 48 hrs. the 2nd week: but I never worked that little. I had no problems with school and work, slept during work, studied during work.

Say G

Forum Crew Member
My company offers the same deal, payed for class time with a 2 year contract once you're done. I would say it's the best offer you can get unless you have the time and money to pay for it yourself (class fee and 9 months of unemployment). Our program used to be 6 months, this is the first year that they are doing it for 9 months but people were still able to pass it so take that how you like. If being a medic is what you want to do and the company has a good reputation then by all means go for it. Just be careful in deciding if that company is right for you as many of them tend to place way too much pressure and responsibility on the medics while running them to the ground (if you work in a metro area).

Good luck in your efforts!