Why ems?

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
^ also that.

But, Im also sure the people at McDonalds making my lunch are working a heck of a lot more than I :D

Simusid

Forum Captain
Really? Basics in Michigan start out at MINIMUM $21 per hour

Medics are near the $45 per hour range
Southeastern Mass. I think our basics start at about $12. Medics start at about $18. Senior medics top out at about $26

Last edited by a moderator:

lampnyter

Forum Captain
I don't necesarily agree with that. Given the current education level of EMTs, there isn't a lot of difference between a new EMT and the guy flipping burgers (assuming the latter has taken a basic first aid class).

Except for the fact that the guy flipping burgers isnt doing anything. Except flipping burgers.

Jay

Forum Lieutenant

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nursing school had a waitlist.
EMS is a job like any other.
And they can easily get away with paying us lower wages than fast food because all of us are expendable. In a lot of places EMTs are a penny a dozen

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I wanted an entry-level healthcare position that I could train for while working/in college and EMS seemed more interesting than CNA, although I now wish I had gone CNA instead as it would be much easier to get a hospital job with that cert. (regardless of debates here EMT-B is currently an entry-level healthcare position)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
As opposed to most EMTs who aren't doing anything but driving or playing raisin hockey? Honestly, I can argue that if the guy flipping burgers screws up he has a much higher chance of harming far more people than an EMT.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
Given the current education level of EMTs, there isn't a lot of difference between a new EMT and the guy flipping burgers (assuming the latter has taken a basic first aid class).

Always bashing the Basics, eh USAF? Did an EMT-B run off with your wife or something? Kick your dog? What? You come off as a very bitter person in general, but your incessant B-bashing makes one wonder if there's more to the story. C'mon ... spit it out. An EMT-B broke your heart, maybe? What was his name? :D

Life's short USAF. Learn to lighten up a little. It'll be ok. I promise.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Always bashing the Basics, eh USAF? Did an EMT-B run off with your wife or something? Kick your dog? What? You come off as a very bitter person in general, but your incessant B-bashing makes one wonder if there's more to the story. C'mon ... spit it out. An EMT-B broke your heart, maybe? What was his name? :D

Life's short USAF. Learn to lighten up a little. It'll be ok. I promise.

BUt he does bring up a very good point. In some places you can't swing a dead body without hitting at least one or two EMTs

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Tried the strip club, couldn't make it rain.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
BUt he does bring up a very good point. In some places you can't swing a dead body without hitting at least one or two EMTs

See, the argument with fast-food might hold some merit if it were just EMTs, but it doesn't hold merit when it comes to Paramedics.

While EMTs can be churned out quickly, even a medic-mill medic is to be considered somewhat skilled labor, not as easily had as the unskilled highschooler that wants some clothes money.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Always bashing the Basics, eh USAF? Did an EMT-B run off with your wife or something? Kick your dog? What? You come off as a very bitter person in general, but your incessant B-bashing makes one wonder if there's more to the story. C'mon ... spit it out. An EMT-B broke your heart, maybe? What was his name?

First off, I'm not bitter. I'm just blunt. Being bitter would require me to have some sort of greater concern for the health care field in general than what I currently have and I have better things to do with my time. Just because someone is blunt and disagrees with you doesn't make them bitter.

Actually I have nothing against EMT-Bs themselves. Remember that I was one myself for about two years before becoming an ALS provider. I have a problem with oversaturation (as JT mentioned) and the continued resistance to elevated educational standards which would eventually lead to increased pay, respect, etc. The reason EMT-Bs catch so much Fliegerabwehrkannonen on this matter is that they are the most common level of provider and the easiest to obtain and actually get a paying job in EMS. They also tend to be the ones that crow the loudest when someone talks about raising educational standards and also spend the most time on here complaining vociferously about how they can't find a job but get offended, bent out of shape or just generally become little ****heads when you point out the quickest- and effectively, only- way to eliminate the problem of more EMT-Bs than there are jobs is to turn off the torrential faucet that is entry level EMS training.

Clear enough for you?

Oh, and by the way, I never slept with any EMTs (although I did screw the 18 year old daughter of one of my EMTs for several months). My standard practice was to go up the chain of command and chase those pretty little (female) residents and attendings.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone, I'm starting Emt basic class tomorrow and I'm slightly nervous. But I was wondering Why did you guys (and galls) get into EMS? I know its not for the money and that's not why I'm getting into ems. Was it for the adrenaline rush, was it to save people?

I'm into Ems for the front line of care. I'm also looking at obtaining my RN after Medic school for a broader knowledge base.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
I have a problem with oversaturation (as JT mentioned) and the continued resistance to elevated educational standards which would eventually lead to increased pay, respect, etc.

Well it had to happen sooner or later: we actually agree on something. What's the world coming to? :wacko: But the respect of our peers isn't coming until we also start acting like professionals when on the job, or off the job while wearing identifying insignia (shirts, hats, etc.). There's a time and place for immature grab-azz, certainly. But the behavior and demeanor of about half the EMS students and staff I've come in contact with in classes and on the job wouldn't be considered professional by any definition of the word. We've earned the reputation we have, at least in my state.

Edit: I thought about this and I realized the immaturity and inappropriateness I've seen has been almost exclusively from Medical Responders, EMT-Bs, and students at these two levels. Not from medics. Crap. We're agreeing again. :sad:

You're still a bitter old @#$%, though. :p