Why ems?

Grimler

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I'm starting Emt basic class tomorrow and I'm slightly nervous. But I was wondering Why did you guys (and galls) get into EMS? I know its not for the money and that's not why I'm getting into ems. Was it for the adrenaline rush, was it to save people?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
because its not an office job. you never know what your next call could be. everyday is something different and yeah the rush that you get when the tones go off. and you are helping people during possibly the worst time of there life.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Personally, I grew up around it. I've always had a strong sense of wanting to help others, as soon as I had the oppourtunity I got my cert. I learned early in my life that I could keep a cool, and level head in the event of emergency situations., and I like high stress enviornments and tend to thrive in them.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The same three reasons everyone gets into EMS: money, power and chicks.

Honestly, I got into it because I didn't know any better at the time (I was still in high school) and it's like the Mafia, once you're in there is no going back.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Money? your joking right?? i can make more money flipping burgers then i can as an EMT-Basic

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
seemed like a good idea at the time.... :p

This pretty well describes it. I wanted to be a career firefighter, where I was at the time to be a career firefighter you got your paramedic.

To be brutally honest if I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have gone to medic school.

Hockey

Quackers
Money? your joking right?? i can make more money flipping burgers then i can as an EMT-Basic

Really? Basics in Michigan start out at MINIMUM $21 per hour

Medics are near the $45 per hour range

I got into EMS because well..to be honest...I never wanted to be in EMS and took EMT just because I wanted my company to pay for a class. Hated EMT school. Tried it out and actually liked it. Same thing with Medic. NEVER wanted to be a medic and pretty much a medic now. Do I want to work the road? Hell no! I am scared beyond imagination that I may be in charge of saving someones life. But for some reason, I get off on being scared and having to lead.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
here in California starting pay for some EMT's is $9 an hour. the highest in my area is $12.30

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Really? Basics in Michigan start out at MINIMUM $21 per hour

Medics are near the $45 per hour range

I call bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:. I've never seen pay like that and I lived for several years in Michigan. The rates I saw and heard about were between $9 and $13 for Basics and $15-20 for medics unless you had decades of experience and worked on a very specialized team (peds critical care transport, flight, etc). RTs (who normally make several dollars an hour more than medics) are usually paid between $18 and $35 depending on where they work and what they are specifically doing.

You don't watch Scrubs do you? My original post was a take on something Dr. Cox said when asked why he became a doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
no i dont watch scrubs. but it sounded like it came from a movie or something. its not right that people get paid more to flip burgers then to save lives. but that not gonna make me stay away from the medical field

Hockey

Quackers
I call bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:. I've never seen pay like that and I lived for several years in Michigan. The rates I saw and heard about were between $9 and $13 for Basics and $15-20 for medics unless you had decades of experience and worked on a very specialized team (peds critical care transport, flight, etc). RTs (who normally make several dollars an hour more than medics) are usually paid between $18 and $35 depending on where they work and what they are specifically doing.

You don't watch Scrubs do you? My original post was a take on something Dr. Cox said when asked why he became a doctor.

:lol: Hook, line, sinker!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I was getting out of the Marine Corps (Hence the Screen Name. Hotel Company was my company in Boot Camp), and needed something to do when I got discharged.

I liked my EMT class, so I rolled with it, and went onto medic.

This isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm getting my Pre-Law req's done, and will be going to law school once I get my degree.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
its not right that people get paid more to flip burgers then to save lives.

I don't necesarily agree with that. Given the current education level of EMTs, there isn't a lot of difference between a new EMT and the guy flipping burgers (assuming the latter has taken a basic first aid class).

but that not gonna make me stay away from the medical field

That's why I didn't stay a basic EMT. Of course, after about 15 years, there is not enough pay in any clinical job to make me stay in it full time.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
no i dont watch scrubs. but it sounded like it came from a movie or something. its not right that people get paid more to flip burgers then to save lives. but that not gonna make me stay away from the medical field

USAF already beat me to it, but I did as much work in a week at the grocery store I used to work at as I've done since I started in EMS about 8 months ago, and I'm making about half as much more than I was at the grocery store.

N=1, but, y'know.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Good money. I should clarify that statement. I am not emt or medic but instead i am an owner of EMS.

Jay

Forum Lieutenant

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown likes the ambulance service because its interesting, varied, challenging and because Brown is a people person.

Brown dislikes the ambulance service because of the petty, narrowminded, group think, insular culture and disconnection between road Officers and management.

Probably why Brown has not been on the road in a while.