Why EMS instead of MD/Nurse/Other profession?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Here's a generic answer now that we all gave our life stories. You can get into EMS and do something exciting without any college degree.

Bingo! When I was in EMT school, amedic in a good paying hospital said that working as a medic is the quickest way to make good money without going to college, and you make almost as much as a nurse. Also, after my wife and I had our first child, we were cash strapped, so I needed to decide between medic school and nursing school. 13 months vs three years. That was a no brainer.

The joke is, in my fire based position, we're making probably 50% more than the local nurses, and do less than half the work they do. At my per diem IFT job, I'm at about 75-80% of a starting RN's salary in the same hospital system.

The problem with the EMS career track is, after some time, many realize that it's not a good option for the long term, unless you can get off the road and also get off of night work.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Honestly I think EMS is the only real medical proffession where you get to treart a patient as an individual person isntead of just a patient room number, all other professiosn you have multiple patients at once, in EMS you have 1, and unless its a labor in progress or MCI call you only ever have 1 patient at a time gives you an oportunity to make a real difference in that one persons life before they get thrown into a system of a stream of different faces.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Honestly I think EMS is the only real medical proffession where you get to treart a patient as an individual person isntead of just a patient room number, all other professiosn you have multiple patients at once, in EMS you have 1, and unless its a labor in progress or MCI call you only ever have 1 patient at a time gives you an oportunity to make a real difference in that one persons life before they get thrown into a system of a stream of different faces.

Surgeons only operate on one person at a time... Anesthesiologists are also only in the surgery with one pt at a time... Likely being with the patient longer than us in the ambulance... I do see what you're trying to get at though. :p

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Surgeons only operate on one person at a time... Anesthesiologists are also only in the surgery with one pt at a time... Likely being with the patient longer than us in the ambulance... I do see what you're trying to get at though. :p

Lol yeah but even them they have multiple patients under their care at a time, may have 5 patients post surgery recovering.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
and also get off of night work.

Just try and take my nights away from me. We normally do 24s, but ever so often a string of twelves pops up in rotations. If they ever wanted to get rid of me it would be simple.. Schedule me for the day shift on those 12s.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Just try and take my nights away from me. We normally do 24s, but ever so often a string of twelves pops up in rotations. If they ever wanted to get rid of me it would be simple.. Schedule me for the day shift on those 12s.

I worked nights for five years and loved it. However, the game changes when you get married and have children. Nights are good when you can sleep whenever you want off duty, but when you have to be up all day after being up all night, it's not sustainable. Also, when you get older, the lack of a stable sleep pattern is much less tolerable.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
my standard answer: because chicks dig guys in uniforms :rofl:

Hockey

Quackers
Because I look sexy rolling with my Oakleys on in my uniform.

Plus its cool busting through the ER doors with a patient. I go into slow motion mode and put my theme song on. Then I realize there are no cameras waiting for me

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
For me I hope EMS provides a solid foundation for a different healthcare career. I'd like to keep EMS in my life as long as possible but I'm not sure it will always be my primary career.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Because I look sexy rolling with my Oakleys on in my uniform.

Plus its cool busting through the ER doors with a patient. I go into slow motion mode and put my theme song on. Then I realize there are no cameras waiting for me

That just about sums it up for me as well. Show up at a crowded place with the lights and sirens on, step out of the rig rocking my Oakleys with a freshly ironed uniform. Telling people to back up as I bring this man back to life with my awesome EMT skills. Then as we are rushing him to the ambulance all the chicks are melting and throwing their phone numbers at me because they all just got to see how awesome I am. As the crowd slowly starts to clap for us on saving this mans life. Talk about the rock star lifestyle :rofl:

Hate

Forum Probie
I get to do a lot of cool things without any real education. I don't even really have to know alot or even think much as long as I follow my protocols.

MNRescue

Forum Ride Along
Currently I am out of EMS, but working towards getting back. That said, having ADHD, I need a job in which I have freedom of the mind. Which, EMS provides. To be successful in EMS, you MUST be able to think outside of the box, hell, for critical care, trauma care, ER care etc, you must be a critical thinker. You will not survive otherwise. And that's why I enjoy this job, even as I advance in the future, the knowledge of EMS is valuable. Plus, if you live in a small town, having the ability to volunteer with your vollie dept. is a way to give back to the community.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Got into EMS after transferring home for college on a volunteer squad. I instantly loved it. Ive only worked one office job and hated it and promised myself id never work inside again. I love the excitement, the rush, the pride of being part of the brotherhood, the challenge. Joining the NJ EMS Task Force has exposed me to some great providers and some great experiences. Working during the hurricanes and other mass casualty events has cemented my belief that this is for me

That said, i am moving on. EMT can only take me so far, so i looked at Medic school, but with a Bachelors i can go to RN for the same time and cost and come out with more training and higher pay. And then i can just challenge to become an MICN and work a truck on off days

Last edited by a moderator: