Why EMS instead of MD/Nurse/Other profession?

Roheline

Forum Probie
I'm new and I know this is a pretty broad topic--if it's in the wrong place or already been done to death, feel free to shut it down and/or point me to an existing thread.

So here goes. I'm currently an EMT-B and supposed get my Bachelors this coming spring. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what direction I want to go as far as career and trying to think through the various options. I've had a lot of family members/friends/even the occasional professor tell me I should aim for medical school but I'm still not sure if it would be the ideal path for me to take. I've considered other options such as going to Paramedic school, training as a nurse, working as a Park or Forest Ranger or doing something completely unrelated like using my language ability to be a translator. I've certainly geared my education towards the possibility of pursuing a medical career (biology major, taking premed courses like organic chem) but I still can't say that one particular path jumps out at me as being perfectly "right" for me.

What I want to know from you guys is--why did you get into EMS/become a medic in the first place and, for the more experienced ones out there, why did you stick with it? Why be a medic instead of a doctor or a nurse or something else entirely? What are the really compelling aspects of the job that keep you doing it day after day? Even in my comparatively limited time working (volunteering, actually) in EMS, I've come across quite a few cynical, burnt-out medics (and nurses and doctors too, for that matter) but I know that there must be some reason that you all keep doing it day in and day out. I have my own reasons, but I'm curious to know what yours are, and whether those reasons are the same for people with the more advanced training.

So I guess my question boils down to what do you love about the job? What makes it amazing enough that you're willing to put up with its various downsides and not switch to something else? Any regrets?

I'm looking more for introspective, analytical responses than just "you have to feel it"--unless that turns out to be the overwhelming reason, which would seriously surprise me.

BF2BC EMT

Forum Crew Member
Myself and a few others on here are current med students and maybe some docs? EMS is fun but can be limiting. At the same time med school is something you really have to want.

Even mid level provider is cool, and with the things they're trying to do with obamacare you can find yourself with more autonomy. I was looking into paramedic when I had down time, but never got the itch due to the fact I don't want to be a firefighter and I don't want to take firefighting tests etc.

I do love EMS though just not fire aspects and the power they hold

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Because I hate hospital settings. I am only a fan of prehospital settings. Hospitals are controlled environments. I like climbing in cars in the 120 degree temp.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Doctors, nurses and RTs aren't paid enough to put up with the level of :censored::censored::censored::censored: they put up with. I like to fix an immediate problem and let someone else deal with the long term BS. That said, I would never do EMS as a "career" either. To explain this, please refer to former statement about pay scale.

I am running my own company at the moment- out of the medical field, working to transition it to a non-profit- and going back to school. I might wind up as a professor but if not being self-employed beats the hell out of slinging albuterol 36 hours a week.

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
why im in this

me personally i enjoy this field i started out volunteering with an als truck as a third person. From day one on the micu i saw that this was the career for me. The uncontrolled setting is why i really love it. you never know what your day could bring and every pt is different. in the er your controlled and personally i can only stand them for about 15 minutes when i bring pt's in and give reports. right now i am in paramedic school and i have to do er clincal time and it drives me absolutely crazy standing in the er for 16 hours but when its all done and over with i will be happy to say i can make even more of a difference in the pt's lives that i will see. so that said if its what you want to do and where your heart is i would continue to further your education in the field.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Because I'm bad at math and I was laid off from a job that paid real money but was EMT certified after taking the course the first time I was unemployed.

medicnick83

Forum Lieutenant
I also like how things are different at every scenario/call, you also get to deal with your patients at their worst and you can see a difference if you doing something right.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
LIke everyone said above. However...

I realized early that my physical prowess would not sustain me long enough for a life's work. Instead opt becoming a paramedic as I originally aimed for, after three year's as an EMT working rescue and IFT, I went into nursing college, and retired in 2010, aged 57. (So now y'all know my year of birth and age too;)).

I worked fleetingly in hospitals, once it was established I didn't have the chops for an ER (at least at that time), and while I was often irritated and frequently either angry or sacred for my job, it was overall a far better career as far as security, benefits, physical limitations, and ability to move were concerned.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
It's in my blood.

Even though I'm finishing up my BSN now, I won't be a nurse in a hospital. I don't find the environment fun, nor do I enjoy chronic care. I prefer to jump in, do my job and then step away. The autonomy provided in this career works for me. Even as a director, where I'm stuck in my office for four or five hours a day, I itch to get on the truck and try to do so whenever possible.

I've had many jobs and a few careers in my lifetime, very few give me the personal satisfaction and sense of purpose that being in EMS does.

I've thought of going to medical school, however, I already have multiple degrees which have had little actual bearing to my careers. Other than the military, ems, and occasional part time jobs, I've been self-employed for the majority of my life. I also don't feel that it would be in the best interest of my family at this point in time. Maybe I'll go to medical school or PA school after the kids are grown up.

My family environment growing up may have predisposed us towards being adrenaline junkies with a strong sense of duty. We've all had military, emergency med, or law enforcement careers.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Aw, baloney.

We all have ADHD and a mild form of Asperger's. Ask my wife.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I enjoy making very little money at an IFT company, getting bossed around by EMT-Bs who are unfamiliar with what I am supposed to be doing.:mellow:

I enjoy not having control over my schedule. :mellow:

I enjoy terrible healthcare coverage. :huh:

Should have gone to get my MBA and head into banking

BigBad

Forum Crew Member
I figured it out when I was doing my EMT-clinicals.

I backed out of a room as I watched nurses scrub a weeks worth of :censored::censored::censored::censored: off a homeless guy, all the paramedics had to do was drop him off.

And my hatred for Organic Chemistry crossed off med school.

The math was easy.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
I'm currently finishing my BSN , but I started out as an EMT, & I still am :)

What do I love about the job: I get to assess, diagnosis, & treat within a matter of minutes. I have the autonomy to make very critical & life impacting decisions. At my job , I don't do it so much, but the volly squad I'm on, I need to delegate tasks to about 7-8 people & stay calm at the same time. Which I really enjoy. I like that I'm making a difference in someone's life, whether it's extricating a DUI , running a code, or just comforting someone who lost a family member-I love what I do and it feels great!

Now, as a nurse I probably won't work in the hospital long except for the required time I need before I can move on to flight.

It's weird some people shy away from it but I love being there to help when the patient is really sick and needs help vs "i have an ingrown toenail..so I'm gonna dial 911 for this" type calls lol.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Its probably got something to do with varied stimulus and ADHD. I've considered leaving the field, but can't ever quite make it over the hurdle of enjoying what I do immensely, even if it is somewhat limiting.