Why do we do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroe485-281

Forum Ride Along
I was talking to my partner who is a medic/RN and has been for about 18 years and i asked her a question. It was a simple question but one neither of us can answer. Why do we do what we do? What makes us so different from the rest of society, that we can witness all that we see and we just move on with it. There are days when i cant even roll out of bed in the morning because of the images from my dreams, the flash backs of calls that i have been on and the horror i have seen. I have been an EMT for apprx 3 yrs and just got my EMT-I card this past nov. and in those three years i have been on everything. I begun CPR on an infant the daughter of a close friend. I have seen the horrors of this world and i get up everyday and put on my uniform and go to work. I dont know what my drive is other than i do it so someone else doesnt have to. I just wanted to know, what makes you get out of bed and answer that call?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Why do we do what we do? What makes us so different from the rest of society, that we can witness all that we see and we just move on with it.

EMT's and Paramedics are no different from those that it is their job to serve. While the majority of us are in this field because we like to help people, some are in it for the self perceived glory which becomes evident in their posts.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't really go for the self glorifying martyr attitude some in EMS adapt. We do it because we find it interesting, not because we are somehow special. Medicine is my passion. I don't do it so I can feel special and set apart from other people.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
That's really dramatic. Yes, we may see some disturbing things. It doesn't make us special.

When I had a pt. who'd had a miscarriage ask me how I can deal with seeing so many heartbreaking situations everyday (we specialize in managing miscarriages at our clinic) I explained that I find it rewarding to somehow help people who are having a really, really bad day.

I know that I do not make a big difference and will not do much to improve their situation, but I can at least provide a good sympathetic ear and make the experience as comfortable as I can.

Cory

Forum Captain
My observations: You do it because you have a natural tolerence to highly disturbing things, or highly disturbing scenes naturally make you want to jump into action instead of back away. I feel a little bit of that now as a lifeguard, but that doesn't compare to what I will see if I do go into EMS. So hopefully I share that trait.

And obviously, most of you seem to have a general care for people, even if you don't express it by being just half-decent on the forum. I guess for some of you, you just care about a person's well being or medical stability.

As an outsider looking in, Ic an honestly say that despite what some of you think, it does take a VERY special person to do this. How many of your friends can that they would be able to handle this job, let alone be willing to do it?(voluntarily, for some of you)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
My observations: You do it because you have a natural tolerence to highly disturbing things, or highly disturbing scenes naturally make you want to jump into action instead of back away. I feel a little bit of that now as a lifeguard, but that doesn't compare to what I will see if I do go into EMS. So hopefully I share that trait.

And obviously, most of you seem to have a general care for people, even if you don't express it by being just half-decent on the forum. I guess for some of you, you just care about a person's well being or medical stability.

As an outsider looking in, Ic an honestly say that despite what some of you think, it does take a VERY special person to do this. How many of your friends can that they would be able to handle this job, let alone be willing to do it?(voluntarily, for some of you)
For any young and or impressionable readers, please disregard the above posting. ^

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Things That Keep You Going for Months

An incredibly deep smile of appreciation.
You plug up the drain somebody's circling.
You lose; but nobody else tried.
The person you heal was not the patient.
You look death in the face and see yourself and want to know more.
Somebody cheered your arrival!
Death took a shot at you while on scene, and missed.
The last thing your patient saw was your tears.
Your Supervisor lets it slide because s/he knows s/he can depend on you.
You "caught" the thing no one else could.
A series of unforeseen circumstances got you there just in time.
You're attracted to your partner.
Days off are your own, and you can take a bunch at once.
Knowing there is still love in the world and it's at your home.
Really getting that life is precious for you, too.
Fifteen loses taught you how to make the impossible save.
Even though it was the worst, you were thankful you were there.
The save that happened in spite of what you did.
You suddenly realize that you are truly participating in life.

There's a thread that connects each of these; they happen in moments. You can interpret each as a burden or a blessing. It's your choice. You can also choose to hold on to the disturbing ones, reach out for help to work through them, or deny they ever happened. This, too, is your choice. Fixating on the pain creates more. Seeking the wonder and appreciating it makes you an agent of healing instead of a victim of the certainty of death.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
I have done a few different jobs, but this one feels right. It is my career and my chance to give back. I dont see me as special or anything, in fact truck drivers are my heros that is a special breed.

I enjoy the learning and advancments going on in the field. like the post about the new suctions. I am honored to be apart of it.

Buzz

Forum Captain
I was thinking about this earlier today, actually...

Someone had asked me why I didn't chose to pursue a career in a different field that I have a significant interest in. Most of my reasons for not doing that were actually qualities that I would apply to this field: long hours, crappy work conditions, low pay, and high stress.

I don't know exactly how I ended up doing this... I felt drawn to helping others, but I know that if I weren't doing it, someone else would. There's no shortage of EMS personnel, especially in my area. That occasional thrill of getting to drive fast, which doesn't even happen all that often anymore due to new regulations, has long subsided. I'm not doing this with the intent of entering into the fire service, becoming a flight paramedic, or even using it as a stepping stone into nursing. Despite all of the negative things I could say about EMS as a career, I like what I do. I don't really have any reason other than that for it. Even though I've been considering switching careers, I'm still maintaining my licenses and certifications.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I was talking to my partner who is a medic/RN and has been for about 18 years and i asked her a question. It was a simple question but one neither of us can answer. Why do we do what we do? What makes us so different from the rest of society, that we can witness all that we see and we just move on with it. There are days when i cant even roll out of bed in the morning because of the images from my dreams, the flash backs of calls that i have been on and the horror i have seen. I have been an EMT for apprx 3 yrs and just got my EMT-I card this past nov. and in those three years i have been on everything. I begun CPR on an infant the daughter of a close friend. I have seen the horrors of this world and i get up everyday and put on my uniform and go to work. I dont know what my drive is other than i do it so someone else doesnt have to. I just wanted to know, what makes you get out of bed and answer that call?

My alarm clock :)

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I cringe a little when I tell people what I do because of the inevitable, "Ohhhh it must take a special person to do that, good onya mate". I used to like saying I'm a paramedic student because I was proud of what I was doing, I still am, but I can't stand hearing things like that, mostly because I can't stand direct compliments (which is odd considering I have a massive ego :p ) and also, they seem never to hear the word student in "Paramedic Student" and my explaining it almost always leads to a condescending comment about the fact that they are surprised that it requires a degree to be a paramedic..:glare:

Other than that though, I can't stand it because of the meaning people attach to the word "special". Maybe its pedantic semantics ( :p ) but I think the more appropriate word is "different". I chose a paramedic degree because it sounded interesting and I had an interest in medicine, I now enjoy the content of the course, I find the on road work stimulating and the nasty experiences just happen not to bother me as much as it might some others. I would argue that there's nothing too special about that. At the same time though, most people couldn't deal with the things we see (my friends don't even like me to talk about it in front of them) but I just think that makes us different, not special particularly. In the same sense, I couldn't deal with a desk job, like most of my friends have, but that doesn't make them special.

The way I see it, the bad things have always happened, and probably will always happen, but I'll get to turn up and try and help out and (this is where the ego comes in I suppose) I wholeheartedly believe there are few better people around at that time to help than me. The only job I have not enjoyed was a young girl who committed suicide, and that was because it hit a little close to home. The other jobs, cardiac arrests, victims of child abuse, injured kiddies, crying mothers, wives who've just lost their husband of 50 years, nanna downs, skinned knees, runny knoses...I get to try and help them, which makes me feel happy and useful more than anything else. but that's not why I do, that's just the reason why the nasty stuff doesn't bother me. Mostly the reason why is because I couldn't stand a desk job and I like medicine.

I think it will be interesting to see if/how my attitude changes as I get my hands dirty down down the track :unsure:

"There are days when i cant even roll out of bed in the morning because of the images from my dreams, the flash backs of calls that i have been on and the horror i have seen"

If it gets to you that much..why are you still doing it? I would postulate that the reason people can do it is because it doesn't have that affect on them...at least not to the extent it feels like you're suggesting...maybe have a chat to peer support.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think its any more "special" than any other job

Being an ambo appeals to me because

- It's a lot of different jobs; people look to you as a helper, a carer, a saviour of thier friend or loved one or the stranger they met on the street, a friend, somebody to make them a cup of tea and have a chat; you have to be a jack of many things from cuppa making to putting a band aid on thier kids skinned knee to just somebody to tell them it'll be OK coz you're here to sort it out

- The public doesn't really have a great deal of understanding as to what ambulance officers do and that in some way is interesting to me because I enjoy enlightening them

- Variety; no idea what will come down the pipe next

- Problem solving is always interesting and challenging; have to apply what you know and see it have a meaningful outcome; somebody brings you a problem be it a skinned knee or a cardiac arrest and you get to solve it, great feeling

- Challenge; have to use your brain when it comes to things like drugs and how the bloody hell are we going to get this person out of this place they have managed to find themselves. As an AO you have to make decisions, act upon them and take responsibility for them.

- Dexterious; get to lift and carry and splint, put the scoop stretcher together, lets you use the hands-on part of the brain

- People; get to talk to a lot of people about all sorts of different topics, find out about them, who they are and have a chat to them. All sorts of different people out there and boy they do tell you some strange things!

- Shftwork; better than a 9-5 office desk

- Terribly interesting; there are lots and lots of people and places and sights out there that the public just have no idea exist and for some that is just "normal"

testpilot

Forum Ride Along
You know, this job is what it is. Try not to make it more dramatic than it has to be....you sound sort of like a fireman! Just kidding.:) It seems to me that what is more stressful than all of the blood, guts, gore and death is all the bullcrap calls we run. I signed on to run the "real" calls so when Im put in a situation to perform a lot of skills at once its fun and interesting and I like the feeling of performing under that type of stress - but honestly its only about 3-5% of the time even in a busy service.

Respectfully, if you truly are having vivid dreams and feel that the "bad" calls weigh on you that much you should maybe reevaluate your career decision. These are signs of burnout or just maybe you don't have the personality for EMS? I don't know...just my thoughts.

Cory

Forum Captain
Edit: Nevermind, its not worth it. Sorry for this post.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Respectfully, if you truly are having vivid dreams and feel that the "bad" calls weigh on you that much you should maybe reevaluate your career decision. These are signs of burnout or just maybe you don't have the personality for EMS? I don't know...just my thoughts.

Quoted for emphasis. If you can't do what we do and walk away and forget this is not for you.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Why do you say that?

Did you read the thread?

Almost everyone writes how we are NOT special...yet this person insists we are. Life guard is simply trying to correct all the newbies by informing them they are NOT special by ignoring that one inaccurate statement.

He was spot on...

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Life guard is simply trying to correct all the newbies by informing them they are NOT special by ignoring that one inaccurate statement.

Crap, we're NOT special? :ph34r:

*Runs to take giant EMS sticker and lights off of car...
:p;)

I kidd, I kidd.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Did you read the thread?

Almost everyone writes how we are NOT special...yet this person insists we are. Life guard is simply trying to correct all the newbies by informing them they are NOT special by ignoring that one inaccurate statement.

He was spot on...

I disagree. I think Cory is spot on that it takes a certain type of person to genuinely care about another human being, especially in times of emergencies.

Whether the outside world recognizes it, well, that's for a different topic.

But those who care about enough about others to respond to medical emergencies should feel special, because they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.