Why do we do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I disagree. I think Cory is spot on that it takes a certain type of person to genuinely care about another human being, especially in times of emergencies.

Whether the outside world recognizes it, well, that's for a different topic.

But those who care about enough about others to respond to medical emergencies should feel special, because they are.

Just because someone does what they enjoy does NOT mean they are "special" or are "better" than others.

Cory

Forum Captain
And to add on to what Chimpie is saying, my main point was that it DOES take a...different(there, I didn't say special) kind of person to be able to naturally jump into action (calmy and effectively) in an emergency, where most people back away or get very excited. Am I wrong? Do you not agree that most people wouldn't be able to remain calm, cool and collected enough in an emergency situation to do this job?

Just because someone does what they enjoy does NOT mean they are "special" or are "better" than others.

I never said anything about being better than others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
2 Xmas's ago, my dishwasher flooded the entire kitchen and backed up my sink while I was in the middle of preparing food for 20 family members.

I picked up the phone and called a plumber. This man who had a wife and kids chose to rush to my house within one hour during my time of need so that I may finish dinner for my family.

He is special because it takes a very special person to take time away from his family on his holiday to make my own gathering continue on.

Many years back, I made an error involving my tax returns. I was due a visit soon from the IRS. I quickly started calling CPA's, people who I have never used before or had a relationship with. One man in particular, despite the business of tax season said he felt my pain and he would work me in. That man spent a little extra time and resolved my issue which had a very simple solution unbeknown to me. That man was special.

I have many more stories from my lifetime (we all do) all which have involved "special" people helping me during various times of need, none which have anything to do with medicine.

Everyone is special in their own unique talents or services. Ours happens to be medical, but that makes us no more special than the man or woman who steps up in someone else's time of need, regardless of the situation being medical or not.

We need to stop inflating our egos, we are not that special.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Everyone is special in their own unique talents or services. Ours happens to be medical, but that makes us no more special than the man or woman who steps up in someone else's time of need, regardless of the situation being medical or not.

We need to stop inflating our egos, we are not that special.

Inflating egos and recognizing yourself for the career that you do are too different things.

Now if someone was going around to online communities outside of EMS saying that they are in EMS and therefore are special, yeah, that might be inflating one's ego.

Saying it on an EMS forum... not so much so, in my opinion.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Then we agree to disagree because to assert that you are special among your peers who do the same job as yourself is poor form.

To try and bestow or convince special status onto your peers is as equally poor form, especially when the majority reject that notion.

Apply the responses in this thread to any other career or trade and it quickly becomes apparent how silly the notion is...

It is a job that we happen to excel at (hopefully) just as the millions of others on this world who excel at other jobs.

To repeat myself from threads of past:

EMS is what we do, it is not who we are.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
To try and bestow or convince special status onto your peers is as equally poor form, especially when the majority reject that notion.

Umm... he's not your peer. He's a lifeguard, yes, but as he stated in his post, he's an outsider looking in.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
...to the Dictionary

special [ˈspɛʃəl]adj1. distinguished, set apart from, or excelling others of its kind

I'd say we're special in what we do, not necessarily that we're special human beings. Most can't or are sane enough not to do what we do. We are special in that we specialize in picking up the pieces of shattered lives. There aren't a lot of dispositions that allow someone to move through that territory gracefully.

The culture of the paramedic is rather interesting because both Flesh Mechanics and Healers have the characteristics it takes to be able to do the job; one on a highly technical, impersonal level, the other in a connected, empathetic way. Most medics have the characteristics of both.

Still, not everyone can do it. Advising the OP that he may not have what it takes is doing him a disservice, though it accurately depicts how that sense of "specialness" distorts. Those suggesting "getting out" are doing no more than braying about how special they are -- as if by having these thoughts and challenges the OP is defective.

I much prefer all the posts here that offer a hand to help the OP re-frame his experience of himself so he can experience the wonder rather than the despair.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
My dad was an accountant, and a darn good one. Honest, trustworthy, and persistant in making sure every column added up and balanced. He loved his job and found value in it. At the same time, his life revolved around those numbers, and tomorrow would be much as today, and the same as 37 Tuesdays from this one; tallying and balancing. Despite his best efforts, I couldn't bear the thought of doing the same thing every day. Thus, my life as a firefighter/EMT. We agreed to disagree; he thought I was crazy for moving toward a burning structure or aircraft, though he respected me for doing it. We both found a career that made us feel needed and fulfilled, and gave us a reason to get up in the morning. I never felt heroic or brave, it's just my job. He never felt vain for being able to say that every audit on his books was spotless for over 20 years; it was just *his* job. Those who have a hero thing tend to be left behind quickly in emergency services, and those who think they can cook the books tend to be left behind in business. We gravitate toward what interests us, be it cop, firefighter, EMS, or accounting. It's often called trite, but doing what interests you means you'll never work a day in your life, and that's why I'm a firefighter/EMT, Charlie Brown...

demure

Forum Ride Along
Personally, I get a rush from each call,which keeps me coming back. But I don't really think EMS deserves as much glorification as it often receives.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Umm... he's not your peer. He's a lifeguard, yes, but as he stated in his post, he's an outsider looking in.

Which is exactly why we said to disregard his words to anyone else who did not know we in EMS do not hold special status, which is what prompted you to jump into this thread in the first place.

Welcome back to the starting line Chimpie and thanks for helping with the debate.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
While I would like to say it's entirely because I want to help people, the truth is that's only part of it. I honestly find it incredibly intriguing that we get to see people from every end of the social spectrum, we get to see old people and young people, poor people and rich people, and people of all different races and religions; and I think it's pretty cool how you come to realize that no matter who they are or where they come from, they are no different than you, their bodies operate the same way and they have the same needs. You realize that when it comes down to it, we're all human and we all need help at one time or another. People trust us to come into their lives when they're most vulnerable, and they trust us to help them; that's why I decided on this career.

P.S.
Excuse the grammar, it's late and I'm a little tired.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
In my view, ambos are no more "special" than anybody else

I do what I am called upon to do and I do it the best I can.

Cory

Forum Captain
Which is exactly why we said to disregard his words to anyone else who did not know we in EMS do not hold special status, which is what prompted you to jump into this thread in the first place.

Welcome back to the starting line Chimpie and thanks for helping with the debate.

Again, my point is not that anyone here is special or superior to anyone working in other professions. But that most people back away or just get too excited when they see, for instance, someone collapse. And even more people wouldn't have any idea how to help them. In this way, EMS workers are better at handling these situations. Like I said before, many of you have a natural tendency to spring into action in this kind of situation. No, that doesn't make you special (seeing as most of you agree that "special" is synonymous with "superior") but it does make you different than someone who doesn't possess this instinct. I am not your peer. I'm not inflating my ego. I'm not inflating your ego (that's the last thing you need). You are ignoring my point, which IS valid, and you do not need to shun it just because. I'm not aure how you can dissagree that you are better trained to handle an emergency situation than most people. Just like a plumber is different from you in the way that he probably repair your plumbing better than you could.

And last time I checked, we have admins to delete unwanted posts, not you. If you really want to get someone to disregard my post, have a little respect and PM them.

Sasha

Forum Chief
(Quote and comment removed because it was not needed for this thread.)

I don't feel we are any different than other people. We have people who simply cannot do the job, but we take an average person and train them to do the same thing that we do day after day.

To post about how superior one is because they have seen horrible things and still get out of bed in the morniing, or wonder how they can still function does nothing but inflate the notion that he is somehow better, somehow special...

Personally, i don't think you need to be an EMT or Paramedic to see the cruelty in the world. It faces you every day. When I read about a child burned by their caretaker, I am sure it affects all those who read it equally, and yet they still function without wondering how they get out of bed with all the cruelty in the world.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
How about those that choose to work in Pediatric Onocology units or in peds ICU? How about Corrections Officers who work in some of the toughest prisons? How about what LEOs see that don't get a call to EMS as well as dealing with the aftermath once you do pronounce death? How about the funeral home personnel or the morgue attendants? Nothing very glamous but none the less very important jobs.

However, what is sometimes hard to take is watching EMT(P)s slapping hands (high-5s) on "saves" or "cool traumas" with the families nearby. Or, when they criticize the ED staff for not sharing in their excitement for saving a 90 y/o comatose patient because they think the ED staff "doesn't understand" what they have done. A few also forget some of the human factors involved in a very tragic life changing event for the patient and their family in their eagerness for excitement. An EMT(P) might see an "exciting" trauma call while others see a horrific event that will have a devastating effect on the person involved and their family. It is not that others don't care or don't want to do certain types of work or that they can't do it. Some just believe they have a different calling to help people.

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
I do this because I have never felt this way about any other thing in my life.. It's a career and a way of life, I have a passion, and it is a great thing to be able to serve others. Not to mention, we are always best prepared to help with those we love in the face of emergency. This job is awesome.. It's not a job at all when you don't feel like you are "working"!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Off topic posts removed and thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.