Who are you?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thought I'd start a thread about who we are (how old you are, what you do for a living, education, marital status, and things like that).

My name is ffemt8978. I'm 35, single, no kids (that I know of), no college but did serve almost 9 years in the military, and I currently work for the TSA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I'm 27 and live in Sarasota, FL.

I have seven years security experience specializing in fire protection and EMS. I went to Vincennes University double majoring in Security Management and Law Enforcement.

Just recently I decided that I have had enough of the security world. This is my last week in security (a private retirement community; population expected to be about 500; 96 acres; 49 homes, 200+ apartments; assisted, skilled nursing). We do all the security and EMS for the community. While the concept is good the people running the show are a joke, inadequite training, lack of pay, lack of manpower, etc.

So I will be starting a whole new career on July 6. I'll be a Client Service Rep. for a payroll processing company. It pays about $4,500/yr more than what I was making before, M-F, days, weekends/holidays off, etc. I was recruited for the job and couldn't pass it up. But this will also allow me to go to EMT school at night and that is the most important plus of all.

Maybe in a couple of months I'll see if I can volly for the department down the street.

Chimp

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
I'm 20 and I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. I am currently in a long term relationship and I dont have any kids. I am a Primary Care Paramedic and a Security Officer. I work for a large industrial site that deals with Hazardous chemicals. I have 2 and half years EMS experience. I also have my Emergency Medical Dispatch and I teach CPR classes on days off. In the fall I am taking some University classes mostly anatomy and physiology type than going to Paramedic school.

TKO

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm 21 and live in Michigan. I'm a student at Michigan State University as a Secondary Education major. I'm really a modified History major, with an English minor. That means I'll be able to teach high school English and History. Next year will be my last, then a year of student teaching. During student teaching I'll be taking 24 credits that is considered masters-level work.

Three years ago I completed my EMT-Basic training in a summer academy. Six or so months ago I began work for a private EMS company. We provide BLS, ALS, and Critical Care (Intensive Care) services to the entire county, a suburb of Detroit. We have a contract with one city, and provide ALS services to them, with BLS crews and Paramedic First Responders also responding.

I'm fortunate enough to really be working for an amazing company. They're a non-profit company that really takes care of both their crews and patients. We have new equipment and great management.

Initially I thought I would take a year off after my student teaching and go for the EMT-Paramedic level, but after working in EMS for a while I just dont think it's worth it. We'll see how that goes though.

No family, wife, or kids, right now, though the parents have a pet dog.

spunkygizmo

Forum Probie
I'm Rachel, I'm 18, I live in TN, and I currently hold a NREMT-B license, and a Tennessee state EMT-IV license. I work for Medic One which is an ambulance service out of Nashville. I am also in college, getting my required classes out of the way so I can get my Paramedic license. (eventually,lol). I live with my parents, and I have one brother, and I am in a steady relationship of two and a half years with a guy who's currently in the Air Force and about to leave to go to Italy. I also ride horses a lot, as my grandparents are horse trainers.:)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Erika, 25yo, single, grew up in New York, went to Washington & Lee University in Lexington, VA and I am a CPA working for Deloitte & Touche, LLP.

I volunteer as a firefighter & EMT-CC (Critical Care) in my home town. I am the Rescue Lieutenant (currently acting Captain), and the department treasurer. I also volunteer with an ambulance corps a few towns over.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Derek, 26 y/o and live in South-Central, PA about ten minutes from the Maryland border. I am single and have two children. I am currently attending a two-year paramedic program at a local community college and will be in my second year upon returning for the Fall semester. I also completed schooling and graduated with a background in information technology.

I have worked in EMS since I was 18 with part of that time as a firefighter. I currently hold Pennsylvania and NREMT-B certifications. I currently work for a combination career/volunteer fire department that runs all "paid" EMS with an annual volume of about 1500-1600 calls. I served in the past with my volunteer EMS department (http://waynesboroems.org) as Deputy Chief of Operations for two years.

Hopefully, come June of 2005 I will be on my way to getting a decent paying job (that would be a change :) ) in a neighboring city as a drug push'n, needle stick'n, life save'n, ***-kick'n Nationally Registered Paramedic. :)

Oh, and I have a sincere love for music too... alternative/emo and punk.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
As you know, my name's Chris. I'm 29, have been married almost 4 years and have a 7 month old daughter. We live in Sierra Madre, which is about 15 miles NE of downtown Los Angeles and next to Pasadena, where I grew up (my wife's from Indiana). My next door neighbor growing up was an Engineer with the Pasadena FD, which probably started my interest in the fire service. My father-in-law is also a retired volunteer FF.

Got my B.S. in Safety and Health from the University of Southern California after originally starting as an architecture major (that lasted 1 semester). Started out working for a small consulting firm developing safety programs for highly hazardous chemicals (petrochemical, cold storage, water treatment, etc.). Then went on to be the Safety Engineer at the Los Angeles Times, then a Safety Trainer at a major oil company (started as Tosco, which got bought by Phillips Petroleum, which merged with Conoco to become ConocoPhillips all during my time there). Left that job last fall and currently work for an insurance broker doing safety audits of public schools.

Started out in EMS back when I was at the Times. We had an in-house Medical Department that was shut-down, and I was asked to help the Security Department put together a Medical Emergency Response Team consisting of First Responder trained personnel. I ended up leaving that job shortly after that for other reasons, but got my EMT training through the company that did the FR training there while I was at the oil company.

All of my jobs have involved some degree of fire safety and hazmat activity as well. Oversaw the high-rise life safety program at the Times for awhile, served on both the local and national emergency response teams for the oil company and do a lot of fire safety in my current job. So, when we moved to Sierra Madre a little over 2 years ago, I decided I wanted to join the Sierra Madre FD (the only all volunteer department in LA County). Started attending drills as a guest last January, was made a Trainee last June and was voted on as Probationary Firefighter in December.

I do some volunteer instruction for a local Red Cross chapter and am currently scheduled to be one of the instructors for their Emergency Response (aka First Responder) course this coming fall. I'm also actively involved in the American Society of Safety Engineers and am just finishing up (next week) my year as President of one of the local chapters.

sunshine1026

Forum Crew Member
My name is Valerie, I am 34, divorced and have two sons. I work for the Red Cross in an administrative capacity, and have also been a Red Cross disaster services volunteer for 7 years. My educational background is in accounting, and I have worked at a local tax and bookkeeping service in one capacity or another for 15 years.

I volunteer as an EMT-B at the local fire company, and am also the fire prevention chairperson and the assistant financial secretary.

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
My name is Russ and Im a NREMT-B in Ohio. I live in the suburbs of Cleveland, and currently work Security for a large professional sporting complex downtown. I have apps out to several private companies, trying to get work as an EMT.

I took the summer off, and am hoping to get back to school in the fall. My goal is go get on a career FD as a FF/EMT. I am considering going through Fire Academy myself, and then getting my Paramedic. I would also like to be a CPR/AED instructor.

Im 23 years old

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, I'm Caleb, 21, from central IL. I went to Illinois State University for 2yrs, majoring in Music Education (temporary insanity). After realizing that it wasn't for me, I took the EMT class and was hooked.
I am planning to move to Chicago within the next year to pursue a "paid" career in EMS. I'm planning to complete paramedic training after settling in Chi town.
I volunteer with a small department as an FF/EMT. I don’t have much training on the fire fighting side yet, but that will change after this weekend. I'm looking forward to our County Fire School this Sat. & Sun, where I’m going to take the Essentials class.
As for my current source of income... I work in Financial Services for a large medical facility. It’s completely boring, and I can’t say that I enjoy it... but it pays the bills for now! B)

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
What???? I'm the OLD dude around here? :angry:

Somebody's gotta be older than me here! :p

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jul 6 2004, 06:08 PM

Teeheehee...

Don't think of it as "old", think of it as "not as young". :lol:

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuelt+Jul 6 2004, 03:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuelt @ Jul 6 2004, 03:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ffemt8978@Jul 6 2004, 06:08 PM

Teeheehee...

Don't think of it as "old", think of it as "not as young". :lol: [/b][/quote]
Yeah, and it's not a femur fracture...it's a mid-shaft horizontal realignment. :p

traumagirl1029

Forum Crew Member
hey all...I'm Liz..im 17 and im a crew chief for my EMS explorer post at a small privately owned ambulance company...i live just outside Buffalo NY and will be graduating from HS next june..currently i'm taking a college level criminal justice course and will be going through my EMT-B course in Jan as well as my security officer training by the time i graduate...i hope to continue on to college for a major in Crim. Justice and a minor in Psych. My main goal however since as long as i can remember watching reruns of Emergency with my grandpa..is to work my way up to a Medic. seems like i've got it all figured out! lol... B) take care all!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Keep thinking that. I'm 27 and I still haven't figured it all out yet. LOL

Chimp

citizencain20

Forum Probie
Hey Everyone, I am 21, from North Central Wisconsin. My background was as a Senior Network Systems Analyst and Broadcast TV Technician, holding A+, N+, CCNA, CCNE, MCSE Certs. Started as a Volunteer FF 3 years ago, and this past winter completed my EMT-B. I am now enrolled in EMT-Intermediate (I99). After running the gamot of Technology, it is no where near as rewarding as life working with patient care could ever be. B)

firekountrybunny

Forum Ride Along
Howdy!!!

I orginally was a teacher for four years. I also coached softball and it always seemed that my students and players were always getting hurt. So, I signed up for a first responder class. I completed the class and two months later began my 24 hour Firefighter class. I finished and began my EMT-B basic class a month later and after finishing that started EMT-A class a month after that! So needless to say it has been one class after another. During my basic class I had two students killed in a car accident. I decided to continue my education and decided that teaching wasn't for me. I now work full time as an EMT for over a year.

I begin EMT-I class in August and will finish in April. I am also returning to school to get my RN license. My goal is to become a flight nurse and EMS Instructor. I was working full time and also part time at neighboring county services, but am now down to one job. I volunteer for a local ambulance service for the county I live in as well as serve as a first responder/fire fighter for my township.

I am moving in August and have already checked into joining the local fire dpeartment in that area as well. I have been working hard to get the house remodeled so that I can move in ASAP! It's a large farmhouse in the middle of a corn field with lots of room for my dog to roam!!! I am soooooooo excited!

The hardest part has been the recent loss of one of my partners who was a paramedic. He was only 26. Luckily I was not working when they brought him in... and I thank god for that. Since that time I resigned my position there because I did not fell as if the hospital I worked for really gave two cents for it's employees. They were very cold and unsupportive during the whole thing. It has been the best decision and also made it easier to deal with my partners absence since I am not there to remember that he is gone. I miss him, but life goes on and I will take all that I have learned from him and be the best EMT I can! B)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Logansport huh? I moved to Florida from Evansville, Indiana about three years ago.

Welcome to the forum. I know you'll enjoy your stay here.

Chimp