Who are you?

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Jul 10 2004, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the forum. I know you'll enjoy your stay here.

Chimp
Very well put. I second that.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Hi everyone! I'm new and this is an excellent forum!
Ok, I'll tie Scott with the age thing.....
Originally from Long Island NY, moved to Texas after graduating college with a Psych BA. I worked as a flight attendant for about 5 years to travel and see what I was missing in the world after being cooped up in college - I also was in the Naval reserves for 8 years.
I left the airlines for an exciting career in DPS - became a police officer, then a structural & aircraft rescue FF and then paramedic. I recently started my classes to obtain my RN. Would love to go to medical school, but I'm married with a soon to be one year old and I love my family too much to abandon them.
I guess I'll work as a nurse P/T (ER or eventually flight) and wait until I'm too decrepit and old to pick up those wonderfully large patients or a hose. (Most of you seem to think Scott is old, so I may already be there!)
I plan on going back to school and get a graduate degree for NP, so I can sit in a comfy office and not sweat all day in the Texas heat!
Nice to meet everyone!
:D

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Firechic@Jul 11 2004, 09:52 PM
(Most of you seem to think Scott is old, so I may already be there!)
:D

Thanks for the ego boost!

medicrn2b05

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm Wendy, I am 28 and I have been a medic for four years and I am currently in my second year of RN school. No kids(unless you count the furry ones), and I'm in a long term relationship.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by medicrn2b05@Aug 5 2004, 03:55 PM
Hi, I'm Wendy, I am 28 and I have been a medic for four years and I am currently in my second year of RN school. No kids(unless you count the furry ones), and I'm in a long term relationship.
Wendy,

Welcome to the forum! For the longest time, and every so often, I review the RN program at my college. I just don't think I can do it, a bit too much science and math for me. I commend you on your dedication though, and wish you the best of luck! Are you doing the program at a community college, or a four-year college? Both the local community college, and the college I go to offer great programs. I continue to toy with the idea every once in a while.

I hope you continue to post on the forum, it's nice having different points of view.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Looks like I've missed welcoming several newcomers to the board, so let me just say welcome to all. ;)

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by medicrn2b05@Aug 5 2004, 01:55 PM
No kids(unless you count the furry ones), and I'm in a long term relationship.
Those are the best types of kids. :D

Alas, I have been remiss in my duties as well. Time to make up for it:

WELCOME ALL NEW MEMBERS TO THE BEST EMT FORUM ON THE WEB!

CBlasek

Forum Ride Along
Well. My name is Charles, im 19 and am enrolled in my EMT-B class. I live in a suburb of Philadelphia, Horsham. I am a volunteer EMT/Fire Fighter. Right now I run a day camp office at the local college. During the school year, I am a IT Desk Technician for Unisys/Dell. I recently got involved with the volunteer FF/EMT, because my current girlfriend is highly involved with it, her Parents/Brother. I want to get to her family and the "other family" to meet me and know me.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome to OUR family. I think you will enjoy Fire/EMS, since we're all one big family.

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
My real first name is Maria, I'm 38, married 16 years, no kids (cats & 1 dog), U.S. ARMY veteran (84-92, Military Police), some college, EMT-B, currently work as a waitress (looking for different job), volunteer firefighter and EMT-B, from Michigan, live in Illinois, drive a pick-up, like to read, LOVE "Lord of the Rings", interested in organic gardening, writing & journaling, photography (especially black & white), environmentalism (conservative use of resources, recycling, taking care of what we have, stuff like that), classical, country, some alternative, and rock music is alright with me.

This isn't probably a good time for anybody to "get to know me". I haven't been "myself" since February of this year, recovering my confidence has been difficult, and I have found when you go thru something especially trying it changes you, and I'm not sure what to do with the changes yet. That probably didn't make sense. The word "epiphany" probably is relative here.

Anyway, there it is, me, in a nutshell.

EMS Maniac

Forum Probie
Hey All!
I am Vickie, I am 48 and have been riding EMS for about 2 years. I have 5 children and have been married 27 years. We retired from the Army in 1995 after 20 years and came home to Harford County, Maryland, which is where I was born and raised.

I have a BSN in Nursing and a AAS in Paralegal studies. For the last 3 years I was a practicing paralegal - but I got tired of lawyers ( they are a bunch of lying scum) and decided to go to work in EMS ( less money to be sure but at least I have peace of mind). I work full time for a local Private Ambulance Company which runs out of Bel Air, Maryland.

Currently, I am in the EMT-I class which began in July and ends in April of 2005.
I am also an active member of a local Volunteer Fire Company, where I do both EMS and Fire side (Mostly EMS though). My beautiful babies are mostly all adults now except for my youngest son who is 10 years old and going into the 5th grade.
I spend lots of time with my youngest daughter who is 19, and also a volunteer Firefighter/EMT for the same VFC. We also work for the same company. I think it is safe to say that she is my best friend (besides my hubby of course!)

I had to laugh when I saw the post about being the oldest (I think I have you beat) on this thread - because I am definately the oldest kid I know.
I love the fire service and EMS in particular and I am tickled to have the chance to serve my community and perhaps help someone in the process. :rolleyes:

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by EMS Maniac@Aug 13 2004, 02:54 PM
Hey All!
I am Vickie, I am 48 and have been riding EMS for about 2 years.
I had to laugh when I saw the post about being the oldest (I think I have you beat) on this thread - because I am definately the oldest kid I know.
old hmmm looking back I remeber the day rocks were made.. just kidding 49 here and my kids are 13 and 14 .. hmm but my wife always says she has 3 kids I'm the oldest kid in my house.. and I like it

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMS Maniac@Aug 13 2004, 12:54 PM
I love the fire service and EMS in particular and I am tickled to have the chance to serve my community and perhaps help someone in the process. :rolleyes:
Well, I was the oldest at the time. :D

Welcome to the group.

EMS Maniac

Forum Probie
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Aug 13 2004, 10:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Aug 13 2004, 10:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EMS Maniac@Aug 13 2004, 12:54 PM
Well, I was the oldest at the time. :D

Welcome to the group. [/b][/quote]
Thank you very much for the welcome -
I really appreciate the thought! :lol:

croaker260

Forum Crew Member
Hi all!!!!

OK, My name is steve, Im 33, and have been married (for the second time) since June of this year. I have been involved in EMS since 1990 as an EMT/91a10/91b10...spent 6 years in service , with 92-95 at Fort Campbell with the 101st ABN and the post EMS.
I am what my wife calls an EMS geek on steriods, even after 13 years. I tend to defend my profession, I believe very strongly in profesionalism and education, and sometimes I am impressed with my profession, and sometimes I am disappointed.
I got my Medic in 95, just as I was getting out of the Army, and if it hadnt been for me loving being a medic (as in Paramedic, not combat medic) I would have stayed in Im sure, for I loved that too. I worked in the middle tennessee area for just over 3 years. I currently work for Ada County Paramedics in Boise Idaho (since 1998), and absolutely Love it! Good Medicine, great SWO's and scope of practice, good mix of calls, dont get assaulted regularly, 3 specialty teams, etc etc etc. Just say that while I miss my buddies but not where I worked in the south. Pays better tooo.
While I have always taught in EMS, over the past 4 years I teach extensively, as that is part of my job here now, in addition I am an "Assistant Field Supervisor" (or Stupidvisor)...I currently teach all levels of EMS, write articles, and teach ACLS, BTLS, and PALS.
Whene I teach, my main request is on the topic of street drugs..so if you need to know about them ..Im you man. I also lecture on advance airway, restrain, and abuse.

In my off time I read as much as possible, all types , but mainly SF/Fantasy..(Yes I was a geek way before EMS) and do a lot of other geeky stuff I wont bore you with. I am very happy with my family, and my biggest challange is remembering they dont want to see me buried in a book or at work all the time.
I too went through some recent life changing experiances, my grandmother recently dies ( I spent 2-3 months caring for her) wich was hard as she raised me. Not to bore you, but I think this has changed my outlook on some things in life more that even this job has.....hard to explain...but it has (positively) effected my job.

I am a brief, not boxer type of dude at work , and the opposit at home...oh, whas that TOO MUCH?

Steve

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by croaker260@Aug 14 2004, 04:10 PM
I am a brief, not boxer type of dude at work , and the opposit at home...oh, whas that TOO MUCH?
LOL, we're all friends here, right? :lol:

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by croaker260@Aug 14 2004, 02:10 PM

Steve
Well, I was gonna suggest that we get together sometime to meet, that is until I read this comment. :D

Welcome to the group.

EMS Maniac

Forum Probie
Originally posted by croaker260@Aug 14 2004, 04:10 PM
I too went through some recent life changing experiances, my grandmother recently dies ( I spent 2-3 months caring for her) wich was hard as she raised me. Not to bore you, but I think this has changed my outlook on some things in life more that even this job has.....hard to explain...but it has (positively) effected my job.

Steve
Hey Croaker260,

I totally understand that whole life changing thing going on!!! When my youngest son was born - he had some serious medical issues - we almost lost him - I didn't get to hold him for the first time until he was 11 days old - and then for only for about 5 minutes.

I learned some amazing life lessons during that terrible time and it truely made me look at life from a whole new perspective. It eventually brought me to EMS as a matter of fact and I can honestly say that I am glad it did - I love EMS almost as much as I love that little man of mine - who I am happy to report is a normal HEALTHY kid.

I am sorry for your loss - I know how much that hurts as well, I lost my grammy a while ago but it still feels like yesterday sometimes.

Welcome to the group - I may pick your brains - I am in the EMT-I class right now and I have days when I feel totally lost, LOL!

Vickie

Ray1129

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys. I'm 19, will be 20 in October....*does a happy dance*....I've been a volunteer for 2 years now. Have all the hoo-hah, FFI and FFII, Rescue Tech, Haz Mat Ops, EMT-B, blah blah blah. Firefighting is my life. I'm working, at the present time, to get a paid job in the city. *crosses fingers and prays*

I really joined the fire service for one thing....to drive the engines. But of course, being young and ignorant at the time, I took EMT-B because my mother wanted me to. :rolleyes: Ended up being better at it than I thought. So since I was a trained body that was not going to let calls drop, I ended up being a regular on the medic. My love is firefighting, and probably always will be, but I'm not going to ignore the medic. It might feel left out if I do. :lol:

Alright, I'm single, no kids, and one baby. :D She's about 9 years old, tempermental when she wants to be, and has the loudest purr I've ever heard in my life. If it weren't for her, I'd probably be in the looney bin right about now. She's who I can talk to when there's no one else to talk to.

Hmmm....I'm a volunteer firefighter/stat queen and I'm a paid full-time EMT-B and part-time BLS Instructor. Would be a driver but I'm not old enough for the insurance. ;)

I'm located smack in the center of Harford County, MD, about 45 minutes from the PA boarder....so it's all good. :D