Where is the best EMS system?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It's just like anything else. It's a TV show. Creative editing can make even the most boring call look good. Lots of jump cuts of trucks flashing lights and profile shots of strong jawed paramedics. Add in some random radio chatter, concerned bystanders, an NRB and Motorola squawks and all of a sudden even an IFT can look like an MCI
Agreed, but I still can't help but wonder how much of what they say is ad-libbed, scripted, or just the cheesiest "Reaper Racing" crews that they have.

I guess it's quite possible it's a combination of all of the above mentioned. Every service has these types, which is exactly what pulls in ratings. So, yaaay, keep encouraging the people who mimic this behavior learned on TV to continue to act as such because, well, TV never lies, and is never wrong. I mean come on people look how real, and down-to-earth the Kartrashians are??

I have noticed an increase in even the crews at my service going "code" to the local hospitals from the time I started until now. It's questionable as I am not the one running the calls, but when you chop, cut, and edit every call to be an emergent ride to the ED whilst you smile, laugh, and joke with your patient all the way there this sure encourages these actions, and all but obliterates the need to use clinical insight, judgement, or crtical thinking as tools to decide mode of transport. After all, what does it matter what we're taught in school? Clearly, every other profession was taken seriously based solely on how high they scored on the "coolness factor" meter.

I know it's often discussed on here, but I have never gotten the chance to voice my opinion so please bear with me. I did look over to my wife mid-show and told her how sad it makes me that even in this day and age with all the pissing and moaning about us being a profession this is what is continually shown to be "what we do". The folks on the show, the producers themselves, and everyone involved really does nothing to show the intelligent side of some of the better clinicians I've learned from both on this forum, and over the length of my career.

When you have one of these "cool racer reaping medics" on 'Nightwatch' bellow how the first thing that comes to mind with a 30 year old anxious patient (in spite of them being pale, cool, diaphoretic, tachycardic, and not grabbing a room air while the patient was in the position found) is a panic attack, you're going to leave the wrong impression to many newer folks. And let's not forget the layperson who now compares them to us.

Will I still watch these shows? Probably, it's still very much like a bad car wreck, hard not to look...even harder not to critique.

Thanks all for letting me share my zero-two...

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
Does Alina and North Memorial do 911 as well? Is the pay structure and benefit package similar?

At Allina medics start at 20.67 and max out in 12 years at 32.84. EMTs start at 15.16 and max out at 25.85 in 12 years. We do 911 and cover around 100 communities with a population around 1 million. The cities range from the inner core suburbs to rural community approx. 50-75 miles from the metro area. Allina also has CCT and BLS ambulances. With an increase in pay for the CCT.

There are 3 metro central bases, most covering is done from fixed bases with an occasional street corner. There a 4 rural bases. If you decide to work the rural bases you will be required to do some call time besides your regular shift. All 911 ambulances can be used to do BLS and IFTs when needed. I enjoy doing the different types of runs. We also contract with a local fire department and provide medics to staff their ambulance.

The ambulances are staffed medic/medic or medic/emt depending on the area they cover. It usually takes a newer person a year or two to figure out what area they want to work in. Shifts can be 8, 12, 13, 16 hours in length.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Clearly, BEMS and NOLA are the best systems there are, hands down, bar none, coolest medicine ever.
While as low on the totem pole as it gets for things about a place of employment, I am a bit (very) jealous they can rock the beards. Medic school was a sad sad time without one. :p

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I am a bit (very) jealous they can rock the beards. Medic school was a sad sad time without one. :p
So can Denver (EMS) General/ Health. IMHO, a much more respectable service based solely on what I have seen from a cultural standpoint.

That's also not to say there are not solid providers at the other two services.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
So can Denver (EMS) General/ Health. IMHO, a much more respectable service based solely on what I have seen from a cultural standpoint.

That's also not to say there are not solid providers at the other two services.
Denver sounds like a cool place to work. Got a friend out in CO, beautiful state. I think I could do just fine in a place like that.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
While it might be a cool place to work, i do hear that is very expensive, and not always feasible on a paramedic's salary

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Denver sounds like a cool place to work. Got a friend out in CO, beautiful state. I think I could do just fine in a place like that.

To bad its the next CA... just sayin'...

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
To bad its the next CA... just sayin'...
Eh that's true. I mean I am all for people rolling a blunt if that makes them happy, but there are a few other things I don't mix well with come to think of it. Maybe Montana instead...

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I work in a busy urban system in Portland, OT. I think a new medic starts at 51k. Benefits are good too. Our protocols are fairly liberal and progressive. Feel free to PM for additional info.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Williamson County EMS. In terms of progressive scope and evidence based medicine, it doesn't get much better. Great pay and retirement doesn't hurt either.
Looks like a great system - management seems good. How do you like them?

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
Looks like a great system - management seems good. How do you like them?
There's no such thing as a perfect system, but there are certainly more positives than negatives at Wilco. In terms of patient care, our medical director likes to be as close to the cutting edge as possible. We are given a large scope of care, but in return a high degree of competency is expected. We have quarterly training and every year our SOCs are updated to keep up with the latest medicine.

Operations wise, I can't complain. I wish we had union representation (I came from a union shop EMS system), but since Texas is a "right to work" state, it probably won't ever happen. If you want any more info, shoot me a DM.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
While it might be a cool place to work, i do hear that is very expensive, and not always feasible on a paramedic's salary
Certainly getting more expensive, but DGs wages are doing a decent job keeping pace I think...

@Ensihoitaja

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I think Denver Health has done a good job of keeping up pay-wise.

Job/salary info is here https://careers.peopleclick.com/car...getJobDetail&jobPostId=26205&localeCode=en-us

Starting pay is about $47,000 a year ($22.58/hour not including any shift differentials), and the only people who get that are people starting fresh out of paramedic school. We get evening shift differential of $2.42/hour and night shift of $4.65/hour. Max pay is a little above $72,000 (note that it's higher than the max starting salary).

Cost of living wise- from this 2015 study (PDF) http://nlihc.org/sites/default/files/oor/OOR_2015_FULL.pdf- at bare minimum starting you'd be above the hourly income needed to rent a 2-bedroom apartment.

TheBuffOP

Forum Crew Member
Houston has a lot of companies to work for. Texas has a low living cost. If you have your paramedic, then you can try to work for Harris County Emergency Corps, Cypress Creek EMS (EMT-B, AMET, and Paramedic), and MCHD. All of those companies are emergency only calls.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Houston has a lot of companies to work for. Texas has a low living cost. If you have your paramedic, then you can try to work for Harris County Emergency Corps, Cypress Creek EMS (EMT-B, AMET, and Paramedic), and MCHD. All of those companies are emergency only calls.
One county South also has some ok options. City of League City EMS, Galveston County EMS, ****inson EMS are decent systems. Ft Bend County EMS is a good system too.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk