Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Own a home/condo/townhouse/have a mortgage

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Live with a sugarspouse who keep me living in the lap of luxury

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm currently living with my parents until march when I get married. I thought a lot about moving out, especially once I quit my retail job and started my full time medic job (with benefits.) Instead I started putting away as much money as possible. Currently at around $8,000. We're estimating having around $15-$20k put away, even though she's only working part time in retail while in school. I think that will be worth it.

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
Own a house with wife and two kids. Have not lived with my parents since I was 17.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
In an apartment, with my wife. Happily no kids for now.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I started renting a Duplex last year so my brother had a place to live when he finished graduate school.

I could own a home/condo/whatever, but I've been living in my city's downtown area for too long to want to leave for the "burbs". I'd rather rent an apt/duplex and walk to the restaurants and bars. Apts/homes are way overpriced in the downtown area, so I'd rather not waste my money.

I enjoy the flexibility renting gives me in packing up whenever.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We have a mortgage on our house, a 3,500 Dutch colonial built in 1927. It's a giant project.

We live two doors up from my parents, who live across from my grandma. It's nice.

I commute half a mile to work.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
I am renting an apt. with my girlfriend and have been for the last 13 years. I work in the local I live in, actually I live 5 mins. away from home.

Iowaemtb

Forum Probie
Guess we have it lucky, we do not pay rent nor do we own our home. We live here and are responsible to some extent for upkeep. The home belongs to my father in law and is part of the family farm.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I rent a duplex with my brother.

It's not that I CAN'T afford a home, but I don't want to be like the idiots that caused us to be in this recession in the first place, living beyond their means. I'm putting 20% down and am not even going to go near the $180,000 home I COULD afford following "traditional" rules.

Nope, my job more than lets me live in my own in a good neighborhood.

Yes, buying a home when you can not afford it is idiotic, but if you can afford to buy, then it is a very good investment and will hedge your bets come retirement. I bought my condo back in 1999 for $90,000, and now my condo is worth $450,000. My mortgage does not go up like rent does and is now much lower than what most people pay to rent.
Depending on where you live, owning a home is the one investment you can count on. Here in San Diego, even during a recession, property values rarely decline below your purchase price.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I am renting an apt. with my girlfriend and have been for the last 13 years. I work in the local I live in, actually I live 5 mins. away from home.

You live five minutes away from your house? :blink::blink:

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I have my own home and have had since I was 23. (and that wasn't yesterday). I live a grand distance of 7kms and about 12 minutes from work.

Having a home is an investment. As others here have said one should never go into debt up to the eyeballs to get it. I see so many young people that have to start out with the home of their dreams and then take on too much debt to get it. The smallest financial setback puts them in a hole they can"t get out of.

My advice to the young ones,(I know you didn't ask for it, but here it is), start with a more modest house. The home of your dreams today will not likely be your dream home tomorrow.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
very interesting, in the very unscientific poll, 70% of those who voted live on their own (either renting or owning). 4% have sugar spouses (can you guys show me how to get one? I've been trying to find one for the longest time). and 26% live with their family (and I'm pretty sure several of those who voted are still in school and not working full time yet).

I stand by my statement that was made in another thread: if you are working full time in this field, you should be able to afford to live on your own. if you are working full time in EMS, and you still can't afford to move out of your parents home, than there is something seriously wrong with the EMS system there; you are working a job, and you should probably look for a career elsewhere

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
600K for a house???

In my area that would buy a huge 2 story house 6 bedrooms and 4 baths on 4 acres of land

in my area, 600k would get you a 150'x75' lot with nothing on it. starting 3/2 on the same 150'x75' lot is about $900k usd. I am less than a mile from the beach where I surf though.

rents for a 2/1 apartment is about 1600/month includes gas, water, power.