• Own a home/condo/townhouse/have a mortgage

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Live with a sugarspouse who keep me living in the lap of luxury

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Own 2 homes.

One my wife and I had built just before our youngest child was born. We wound up moving to West Texas for a year and when we returned we needed a bigger home.

We now have family renting the first home. Regardless, having two mortgages really sucks!

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
600K for a house???

In my area that would buy a huge 2 story house 6 bedrooms and 4 baths on 4 acres of land

400-600k is the going rate for a desirable neighborhood on long island.

My neighborhood I think around 800-900k. I'd never buy a house here taxes are over $10,000 a year. Ridiculous.

That said, i wont be moving out for a while if i can.

I'd like to buy a house in a nearby neighborhood for around 500k.

Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
400-600k is the going rate for a desirable neighborhood on long island.

My neighborhood I think around 800-900k. I'd never buy a house here taxes are over $10,000 a year. Ridiculous.

That said, i wont be moving out for a while if i can.

I'd like to buy a house in a nearby neighborhood for around 500k.

That seems really high for a FF/public servant salary.

How do people afford to own houses?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

After 5 years (I believe it was) FDNY firefighters are getting paid $100k a year.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

Firefighters and cops here clear 100k. Firefighters easily do.

Police officers in NYPD will make 100. In my county where I live, they make around $150,000.

EMS, maybe if you have 3 jobs and don't sleep.

You can get a house here for 300-400 but its not somewhere I personally want to raise a family. Or you can move upstate/jersey area.

phideux

Forum Captain
WOW, I live in an alright area and my house is worth in the 90s. My property taxes run about $600yr, a high utility bill for me is around $250mo. Here for 400K-600K, I could get me a nice house in the country, on a couple hundred acres.

I own my house, no mortgage. Work 1 full time EMS job, with minimal OT, I'll make 50K-60K. I also run on a volunteer crew.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
WOW, I live in an alright area and my house is worth in the 90s. My property taxes run about $600yr, a high utility bill for me is around $250mo. Here for 400K-600K, I could get me a nice house in the country, on a couple hundred acres.

I own my house, no mortgage. Work 1 full time EMS job, with minimal OT, I'll make 50K-60K. I also run on a volunteer crew.

Doesnt sound half bad...

Taxes here are 10% the cost of your house...

I pay $200 a month in car insurance alone.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Doesnt sound half bad...

Taxes here are 10% the cost of your house...

I pay $200 a month in car insurance alone.

$200 a month is what we pay for 2 cars (97 Land Cruiser/'08 CX7) and renters insurance.

Currently we are renting my in laws house until they retire from the Air Force in a few years. Nice size 3/2,good size yard and neighborhood,convenient to the city. 850/month. Pretty normal rate around here.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Ya here is Saint Louis County we just sold our 4 bed 3 bath 3,000 sq ft house for $210k. And that is a nice upper middle class neighborhood about 15 mins from downtown. $600K would buy you a similar size house in the city or a very nice house in the county.

medic417

The Truth Provider
That is very impressive; I couldn't fathom being on my own at 17.

I bought my first home at 16. Moved into at 16 and never returned to live in parents house. Have owned several in the decades since.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
$200 a month is what we pay for 2 cars (97 Land Cruiser/'08 CX7) and renters insurance.

Currently we are renting my in laws house until they retire from the Air Force in a few years. Nice size 3/2,good size yard and neighborhood,convenient to the city. 850/month. Pretty normal rate around here.

$850 a month would get a me a studio apartment. And not a very nice one.

I pay $200 a month for a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited.

medic417

The Truth Provider
$850 a month would get a me a studio apartment. And not a very nice one.

I pay $200 a month for a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you called that lizard to see if they can save you some money? Or do you have lots of traffic tickets/wrecks/etc?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Have you called that lizard to see if they can save you some money? Or do you have lots of traffic tickets/wrecks/etc?

I assume it is higher since he lives in New York. My wrangler is $98 a month :p

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
It's not that I CAN'T afford a home, but I don't want to be like the idiots that caused us to be in this recession in the first place, living beyond their means. I'm putting 20% down

Smart thinking.

My wife and I were not in a rush to keep up with the Joneses. We lived in a variety of rented apartments, shared 1 car for many years, paid off any credit cards / loans etc, had modest xmas and birthday celebrations etc, etc.

Slowly the savings account grew over time, and after several years of ignoring the advice from materialistic friends and relatives when the mortgage rates were sky-high, were able to put down $100K (with fixed 4% for 30 years) on a nice piece of property in Suffolk county last summer.

The mortgage payment is less than what we were paying in rent. Shame about the 14 grand per year taxes. <_<

Oh well, it's only money :sad:

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Is $1800/mo your rent with bills or just your rent!?

That is very impressive; I couldn't fathom being on my own at 17. My sister moved out a couple months ago when she turned 17 and she lives with her boyfriend who is a little bit older. She's doing pretty well for being so young.

I moved out of home when I left high school for a little while but it didn't really work; I was far too young and ended up back at home again, stayed there right through uni and moved out proper when I was 24.

As much as I liked being at home because it was cheap and easy I'd have gone absolutely insane if I'd stayed there much longer.

Sharing a house with other people is OK, it's not ideal and I would absolutely love to be in my own place but with the average house price over $600k I just don't see it happening in my lifetime and it's actually a bit of a bummer to be honest.

$460 / week rent, split between 3 people, $1800 month split

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Mostly I was sorry he was driving a Jeep. But yeah, paying for it is just adding insult to injury!

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

Nope to all the above...

I already use the Lizard...

I'm a male under the age of 25 on Long Island. Thats the sole reason...

Which is ridiculous because everyone knows women are awful drivers :rofl:

Heylove

Forum Probie
:)

I voted for the fourth option, although my Sugar Daddy isn't my spouse...yet.

My Sugar Daddy has been absolutely wonderful in supporting me all the way through making the decision to go back to school, putting up with my endless studying, and being a good patient!