What is the Pay scales in your area?

DawnParr

Forum Crew Member
I'm just curious, i live in Flora, IL (Middle of No-where). I am just a begginer and getting ready for my EMT-B class and i have looked a little for jobs in the surrounding areas and what their payscales are, but if you guys do not mind sharing what you make at your current position, please let us know what you make! Who knows, maybe some of us will move to get your salary too! lol just kidding.

csh89

Forum Ride Along
Well I dont have a job as one, but the county i live in actually has a pay scale calculator on their site, so people can see how much they make, generally here in my county, I am in Florida btw, the start pay is like 8.75 an hour and they calculate it to about 25k base pay a year for a EMT-B.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
In my travels, I've noticed this to be a good rule of thumb for pay scale heirarchy from lowest to highest:
- private EMS, low pay and substandard benefits
- third service EMS, low to mediocre pay, usually with pension and decent benefits
- hospital based EMS, decent hourly wage, fair to excellent benefits, retirement typically 401k or 403b only
- fire based EMS, either single role(no suppression duties) or dual role(crosstrained as a FF), fair to excellent salary, excellent benefits for large depts, great pension with DROP - you effectively retire, but keep working for up to three more years, both drawing a paycheck and banking your retirement checks in a tax deferred account until you stop working altogether. Great for paying off a house!

Higher pay scales seem to center around coastal Cali, the NoVa/DC/MD area, or the NY/Boston region. The Carolinas pay dirt. I know not of other areas.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
[you effectively retire, but keep working for up to three more years, banking your retirement checks in a tax deferred account until you stop working altogether

Wow..I want that one!

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
[you effectively retire, but keep working for up to three more years, banking your retirement checks in a tax deferred account until you stop working altogether

Wow..I want that one!

Thanks for the chart you sent in the e-mail. A good number of large fire based services have the DROP. A former co worker at Charleston County EMS(third service) told me that they had a DROP also. I'm not sure, never checked it out, as I made up my mind that I wanted to leave after about a month or so of working there.

This link explains the concept:
http://benefitsattorney.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=14

When you google DROP program, different states pop up. It might help some search for depts with DROP.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
For the OP, I started at a private company, Hunter Ambulance-Ambulette Inc. at Inwood, NY per diem for 9.50/hr.
http://www.hunterambulance.com/employment.html

My next job was as an EMT for NSLIJ CEMS in Queens and Long Island NY for 15/hr to 20/hr, + 10% shift differential for afternoon and overnight shifts. 40 hour workweek.

Next was as a medic for the same place, for 22/hr up to 31/hr, + differential.
http://www.nslij.com/body.cfm?id=160

Then there was CCEMS. You start as a paramedic crew member for 6 months at a rate of 38,000/yr, with an increase to 45,000/yr as a crew chief. EMT's are at about 10/hr. 24/48 schedule.
https://jobsweb.charlestoncounty.org/hronline/public/vacancylisting.aspx

Fairfax County FRD(VA) pays 53,887/yr, F18/step 3, work schedule WOWOWOOOO, a modified 24/48. We receive about 4800/yr for ALS certification pay, $2/hr to ride as an engine medic, and $3/hr to ride the box as a medic. That makes a new medic's base about 65,000/yr or so. FF/EMT's begin at 18/1, which is two steps less, at about 48,000/yr. No additional pay or other bonuses. Privates in the area pay BLS 9-11/hr, medics 13-20/hr.
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/recruitment/

emtbill

Forum Crew Member
Fairfax County FRD(VA) pays 53,887/yr, F18/step 3, work schedule WOWOWOOOO, a modified 24/48. We receive about 4800/yr for ALS certification pay, $2/hr to ride as an engine medic, and $3/hr to ride the box as a medic. That makes a new medic's base about 65,000/yr or so. FF/EMT's begin at 18/1, which is two steps less, at about 48,000/yr. No additional pay or other bonuses. Privates in the area pay BLS 9-11/hr, medics 13-20/hr.
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/recruitment/

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Jesus, I see they hire EMT-I too...is the pay the same? I'm sure the call volume is high, but how do they get that kind of money to pay medics? I have never heard of a medic starting at that much, around here in SWVA you might break $32k. What about experience? I have over a year of bring released as an ALS provider, but I have no fire training. I see that is not required for employment. Do they teach that to you as a probie? I also have a bachelor's in chemistry and biochemistry, will they give credit for a BS? I will have to seriously consider finishing my second degree at GWU/GMU and work there.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Jesus, I see they hire EMT-I too...is the pay the same? I'm sure the call volume is high, but how do they get that kind of money to pay medics? I have never heard of a medic starting at that much, around here in SWVA you might break $32k. What about experience? I have over a year of bring released as an ALS provider, but I have no fire training. I see that is not required for employment. Do they teach that to you as a probie? I also have a bachelor's in chemistry and biochemistry, will they give credit for a BS? I will have to seriously consider finishing my second degree at GWU/GMU and work there.

The dept currently compensates EMt-I's and P's the same. Call volume varies from station to station. Fairfax is in close proximity to the center of the universe, D.C. and has plenty of affluent residents and a large amount of business. Local 2068 has done a fantastic job of keeping us at the head of the pack for compensation, benefits, and working conditions.

If the pay was any less, the dept would lose it's best talent, and would generally only be able to amass an inferior hiring pool. The depr attracts many from all over the country, and as such can afford to be selective with who they hire. I'm currently on pace to make over 80k this year with a minimal amount of OT.

A VA or NR P or I card are all that you'll need at the moment. Call recruitment and get the ball rolling.

I didn't have any fire training either. They'll give you everything in the academy. Prior education won't help with hiring, but can be applied for extra points on promotional exams.

The schedule is rotating, so going to school may prove difficult unless you can work out multiple shift exchanges to attend classes.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

medic417

The Truth Provider
For more information and dollar amounts a quick search will find tons of discussions on pay/salary/etc.

8jimi8

CFRN
The county where i volunteer

B - $9.00/ hr
I - $10.00/hr
P- $11.00/hr FT $13.00/hr PT

The city where i live

Hires Paramedics only starting $42,000-$45,000 / year (i've heard rumors of people making up to $50,000, but i don't think starting out that way.)

But this is also a city job with a large union. I hear the benefits are quite excellent.

they do hire basics as dispatch.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Not that it's important to you, what with Victoria being about 12,000 kilometres away, but if you're just asking out of interest:

The basic shift structure here is two 10 hour day shifts followed by two 14 hour night shifts, then 4 days off. There's heaps of variation, though. 10 weeks annual leave, usually taken in two blocks I think.

Basic rate for a paramedic is $30/hour (I think, obviously I'm a student, I might not be up to date, a pay raise has been in the works for a while), works out to about 60,000/yr, plus the 9% superannuation (that's A$, which is 60-85% of the American dollar). Many work overtime, I know of one medic who earned 100k through overtime. I don't know what MICA paramedics get paid, it's slightly more..but not much. Poor :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s.

EDIT: seriously? That's a swear word? Poor buggers then.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
BLS (Ambulance officer) ~$27-33,000 USD
ILS (Paramedic) ~$31-37,000 USD
ALS (Advanced Paramedic) ~$34-41,000 USD

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Whe I worked Ambulance (3 years ago) starting for EMT was $13.36/hr with a 4% increase yearly.

Locally, Ambulance pays EMT about $10.00, whihc is better than back in 2000, when it was $7.25.

At the Snow Park we know start EMTs and MFRs off at $10.00 (w/ 2 free meals and snow gear) and their first two weeks on the job dictate if we immediately bump that up to as much as $12.00. That is way better than was was starting back when I started in 2002: $8.25... period. This is still better than some othe snow-type recreational facilities that pay even their EMT Managers just slightly over minimum wage.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Heres one search result.

http://www.emtlife.com/search.php?searchid=919140

In case you do not know how to search look toward right upper side of page. Click search. You can type in the box and search or click advance search and narrow it down more. Hope this helps.

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Ouch! Seeing all those numbers makes me glad to be up here!!

EMR (EMT-B $16 per hour
EMT $24-$30 per hour
EMT-P $30-$38 per hour

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
The county where i volunteer

B - $9.00/ hr
I - $10.00/hr
P- $11.00/hr FT $13.00/hr PT

Am I missing something? How can you be paid and be a volunteer :wacko:

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
8jim... i i never realized that austin had a third service EMS system... thats awesome!!! seems like a great organization to work for... is this true?

8jimi8

CFRN
i volunteer there.

i was just posting the pay scale that I found out.

Austin has AMR, Acadian, and Guardian also, i believe. ATCEMS are the 911 guys, but occasional 911 calls slip out to the privates.

I'm volunteering an hour away from austin. Pretty rough on the driving and 12 hour shifts, but I usually manage to get 24 hour shifts, its more worth my time to stay for that long. I like it, I am ALWAYS welcome on an ambulance, so if the tones drop when i'm there, i can jump on.