What do you recommend?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Since I'm taking my last four gen eds to finish up paramedic entirely online, I'll have time to take more classes to "beef up" my paramedic education.

I plan on retaking a&p, taking pharmacology and microbiology, but what are some other classes you would recommend for a good paramedic level education?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
take a social science. like sociology, problems/inequalities in America, or some healthcare policy class...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
drop a&P take gross anatomy

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Have you taken a basic Psychology or Sociology course? While I'm not a Paramedic, I think that a psychology course really offers quite a foundation for dealing with a variety of people.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
criminology, macroeconomics, microeconomics, general and abnormal psychology, a critical thinking class, an acting class, any class in an artisitic area.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
Take a look at a local colleges core classes for all degree programs. The core classes are designed to make the student more well rounded and to help them think more. I also recommend language classes to cut down on any high potential issues like spanish and sign language.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
drop a&P take gross anatomy

In Florida, two A&P classes are required for most health care degrees, not just one. Gross Anatomy and Physiology are included in these classes.

At least Intro to Chemistry or Chemistry for Health Sciences should be included. If one has plans to advance further, the traditional full courses rather than the overview classes are recommended.

A Critical Thinking class such as Logic as firecoins suggested is also good and satisfies the general education requirements for a degree.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Or, as someone else has suggested, a healthcare policy/economics class. Or Medical Sociology (Body and Health). Or epidemiology

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I have taken Psych :]
What about Developmental Psych? It's every bit as important as Intro Psych. Abnormal psych too.

Also crucial to the foundation of intelligent paramedic practice:

Speech and Communications
Technical and Scientific Writing
Chemistry
Logic
Ethics
Spanish
Exercise Physiology

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Okay, Sasha what do you want to take. Taking something that you don't really want to take will not help. Take something that you are interested in. You will learn more that way. As for suggestions on what to take, Well what have you taken, that would help on to suggests what to take. :glare:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay, Sasha what do you want to take. Taking something that you don't really want to take will not help.
Have you ever been to college? I didn't want to take physics, inorganic chemistry or algebra, but they darn sure helped me to become a more competent medical practitioner. Sasha already told us what she "wants" to take. She wants to take something that will contribute to her professional practice.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Okay, Sasha what do you want to take.

Anything and everything that would help me become a better medical provider and have more understanding for people's problems.

I have taken College English, a&p (substandard, gonna retake it) economics, american government, psychology, and all the EMT's and P classes. I will be taking Biology, (Not sure how wonderful it's going to be, might retake it depending on the quality of the class) College Algebra, Sociology and English Comp. Algebra and English Comp are required. I tried to take "Critical Thinking" but some how it just didn't fall into my schedule.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Anything and everything that would help me become a better medical provider and have more understanding for people's problems.

I have taken College English, a&p (substandard, gonna retake it) economics, american government, psychology, and all the EMT's and P classes. I will be taking Biology, (Not sure how wonderful it's going to be, might retake it depending on the quality of the class) College Algebra, Sociology and English Comp. Algebra and English Comp are required. I tried to take "Critical Thinking" but some how it just didn't fall into my schedule.

sasha, I would take something light with that schedule. With A&P, Algebra, and biology (probably with lab I would guess) you are looking at some major work. Add in Eng. Comp and you are looking at a paper every week or two usually. If you hve to do a lab report once a week for bio as well you will be swamped.

Make sure you are taking bio and a&p for science majors though. When you get to it, General chemistry as well. (all science should be sophmore level, ie 200 or above) otherwise it may not be accepted towards a science degree or for prereqs. I think with work you may have enough on your plate already.

most places: 200 level a&P 3 cr, bio 3 cr with lab 1 cr, algebra 3 cr, english comp 3-4 cr depending on the level. At minimum you are looking at 13 cr right now plus whatever your sociology is worth, I will guess 3 cr. so you may be on course overload as it is. It is better to take 12 credits and do well than 16 or more and barely get by.if you are really desperate pick up a 1 cr med term or instructional techniques.

If they are summer semester classes, I would try to cut down.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Make sure you are taking bio and a&p for science majors though. When you get to it, General chemistry as well. (all science should be sophmore level, ie 200 or above) otherwise it may not be accepted towards a science degree or for prereqs. I think with work you may have enough on your plate already.

As a note with numbers, check your college's catelogue to know what numbers mean what. 200 level courses were grad student courses at my undergrad (1-99 was lower division undergrad and 100-199 was upper division undergrad)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One class that can be used and should be a prerequirement for those in medicine is Medical Terminology. If one can master this, they master understanding medicine.

R/r 911

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
Spanish and medical Spanish. I encounter Russian when I work on the ambulance more than any other language but my clinical site is an area with a lot of Spanish speaking people. Donde este el bano and una cerveza por favor doesn't help me in the ED.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
quick off topic tangent (sort of)

As a note with numbers, check your college's catelogue to know what numbers mean what. 200 level courses were grad student courses at my undergrad (1-99 was lower division undergrad and 100-199 was upper division undergrad)

yea, it would be too much to ask for universities to use the same class numbering system I guess.

Where I went to school classes had a 3 digit code basically the hundreds column designated the year and the tens and ones the specific class.

There were some 100 level science courses that BA students would take to meet the basic science requirements so you would see 100 level chemistry. (I think the class was called "chemistry for you") The same for bio and physics.

But where the problem comes in (and what I was trying to illustrate) is the the college of science or college of healthcare would not accept these low level classes for part of a degree as they were seriously simplified. (Perhaps too much) They would also do you a disservice if you took one and thought it would prepare you for higher classes.

I have seen oversimplification with online courses as well. Especially in chemistry, biology, and a&p.

Have you seen the courses at national fire academy? You shouldn't even be qualified to take GED test with those.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There were some 100 level science courses that BA students would take to meet the basic science requirements so you would see 100 level chemistry. (I think the class was called "chemistry for you") The same for bio and physics.

But where the problem comes in (and what I was trying to illustrate) is the the college of science or college of healthcare would not accept these low level classes for part of a degree as they were seriously simplified. (Perhaps too much) They would also do you a disservice if you took one and thought it would prepare you for higher classes.

Yep. The 90's had had core undergrad courses (Bio 93, 94, 97, 97, 99) with the single digit and teens being the courses for non majors (several were even designated 'non-major only').