What do you recommend?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I encounter Russian when I work on the ambulance more than any other language ...
After reading that, I immediately knew you were in Mass without even looking!

Brookline maybe?

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
General Chemistry I and II, Organic Chemistry I and II, Biochemsitry I and II, Pathogenic Microbiology, Genetics, Immunology, Hematology, Clinical Parasitology... Ok, those last two were more of a joke, but would definitely be interesting and help to be a better provider.

Oh, and of course, the labs that correspond with all of those. The one's I'd say are a must though... Gen chem, ochem, biochem. That's where the acid-base system is best learned, and the general biological functions on a chemical level of the body, will make pharmacology and A&P much more clear. I took genetics and found it to be really interesting and much better than what is covered in Gen. Bio. Not all diseases are based on germs and lifestyle. I'm in pathogenic micro now, and it is the best class I have taken yet. Delves much much deeper into bacterial structure, function, and also antibiotic actions. Immunology because I can only assume what you covered in medic school was a joke. What we covered in pathogenic micro was better than that in medic school... but that's for another debate.

Enjoy!!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
General Chemistry I and II, Organic Chemistry I and II, Biochemsitry I and II, Pathogenic Microbiology, Genetics, Immunology, Hematology, Clinical Parasitology... Ok, those last two were more of a joke, but would definitely be interesting and help to be a better provider.

Oh, and of course, the labs that correspond with all of those. The one's I'd say are a must though... Gen chem, ochem, biochem. That's where the acid-base system is best learned, and the general biological functions on a chemical level of the body, will make pharmacology and A&P much more clear. I took genetics and found it to be really interesting and much better than what is covered in Gen. Bio. Not all diseases are based on germs and lifestyle. I'm in pathogenic micro now, and it is the best class I have taken yet. Delves much much deeper into bacterial structure, function, and also antibiotic actions. Immunology because I can only assume what you covered in medic school was a joke. What we covered in pathogenic micro was better than that in medic school... but that's for another debate.

Enjoy!!

What makes heme and parasit a joke? The level of the class or the information presented?

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Just because I was throwing in extra upper level classes in there. ^_^ I'm taking them for sure if I have extra room in my schedule the next couple years. And the fact that I'm sure there's already been about 3-4 years worth of other classes recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
What we covered in pathogenic micro was better than that in medic school... but that's for another debate.
If you covered any micro in medic school, that's probably an above average medic school.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
If you covered any micro in medic school, that's probably an above average medic school.

While true, I was referring to the immunology I covered in pathogenic was better than that in medic school. ^_^

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Just because I was throwing in extra upper level classes in there. ^_^ I'm taking them for sure if I have extra room in my schedule the next couple years. And the fact that I'm sure there's already been about 3-4 years worth of other classes recommended.

If you wind up in med school you will be taking parasit for sure, though in the US it is usually broken down into a few lectures rather than a complete semester like we had.

I admit it was not my favorite class, or even on the favorite class list, but I did gain some useful insight out of it.

If you want some useful info on it without sitting for a class, I suggest the video lectures here:

http://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/book/parasit-sta.htm

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
If you wind up in med school you will be taking parasit for sure, though in the US it is usually broken down into a few lectures rather than a complete semester like we had.

I admit it was not my favorite class, or even on the favorite class list, but I did gain some useful insight out of it.

If you want some useful info on it without sitting for a class, I suggest the video lectures here:

http://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/book/parasit-sta.htm

Danke ^_^

ten characters

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Have you taken a basic Psychology or Sociology course? While I'm not a Paramedic, I think that a psychology course really offers quite a foundation for dealing with a variety of people.

Agreed !!! Very much so. Not only as a medic, but in everyday life and other jobs as well.