What do you do on your days off?

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Now that I've finished Uni, I do a pretty big lot of nothing.

I'm gradually making my way through ER, the West Wing, Madmen and the L word.

Wikipedia. I actually spend entire days, beginning to end, usually when I'm hungover, floating around Wikipedia and I regret nothing.

I teach a group of volunteer FRs for event first aid, and do a few event myself which is always a good laugh. Sit around and chat, eat a free meal, slap on a few band aids, watch the footy/concert/event walk around and smile, build social capital.

Also, cricket season is starting so I won't be seeing you guys for a while. :p And when I return I'll be 6kgs fatter for the beer and snags.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I suppose aside from studying I do have a fe hobbies. I really enjoy working on my cars and riding my dirt bike, I also love hiking, especially when a nice fog rolls over the mountain. A couple weekends our of the month I also assist with EMT basic labs.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Running, cycling, and anything that can potentially be construed as endurance training :D

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Wikipedia. I actually spend entire days, beginning to end, usually when I'm hungover, floating around Wikipedia and I regret nothing.

I've been known to do this, too. I'm curious to know if you use the "random article" link a lot, or if you just follow a link from one article to another? I rarely use the random button. I'll usually start on a topic I happen to be interested in at that moment, and somewhere in that article it will mention something I don't know much about, so I'll click that link, and so on and so forth.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Wiki-wandering is a great way to avoid studying haha.

Sleeping, studying, skiing or beaching/boating depending on the season, paintballing, lately though it has been chopping firewood since the heater in my house sucks.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been known to do this, too. I'm curious to know if you use the "random article" link a lot, or if you just follow a link from one article to another? I rarely use the random button. I'll usually start on a topic I happen to be interested in at that moment, and somewhere in that article it will mention something I don't know much about, so I'll click that link, and so on and so forth.

I do the same thing. Start with a topic I'm interested in and wander randomly. Unfortunately I wasted my entire day from 1100 onwards doing this today. Was supposed to get an essay done. Sometimes my own laziness amazes me. I started with neoclassical criminology, the topic I was supposed to be writing about, and along the line somehow visited George Washington, flame warfare, Boeing, the history f the Christmas tree, AM radio, ambulances, Kansas (the band), horses, duct tape, butane, reverse osmosis, and a myriad of other random and completely time wasting articles before finally finishing at dinner time with something about neoprene or carbon composites or some such nonsense.

Ugh! Can you say double the schoolwork load tomorrow?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief

Nah never random article. I always just pick something I'm interesting in and it goes from there. As you say, you see an interesting link, open it in another window and finish the article. Problem is, I usually open about 5 new windows for every one article I finish, so it gets a bit out of control sometimes. Usually along historical, biographical, military, political or medical lines.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nah never random article. I always just pick something I'm interesting in and it goes from there. As you say, you see an interesting link, open it in another window and finish the article. Problem is, I usually open about 5 new windows for every one article I finish, so it gets a bit out of control sometimes. Usually along historical, biographical, military, political or medical lines.
I"m so glad to know that I'm not the only one who has this phenomenon happen to them :p

8jimi8

CFRN
Rockclimbing, bike riding, mwso/mw2, looking for women who can stand me...

S C H O O L

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hahaha.... I do the same thing. It usually starts on Wikipedia and sets off hours of random researching.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Reenact the War on Drugs.

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
Hahaha.... I do the same thing. It usually starts on Wikipedia and sets off hours of random researching.

Wikipedia allows us with ADD to actually learn something. You can pick any two unrelated subjects and by clicking through links, get from one to the other.
The last one I did was "Bison" to "fireworks"

Sasha

Forum Chief
A large coffee at starbucks is like 2.50

Starbucks doesn't sell large.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Starbucks doesn't sell large.

On the rare occasion that I go to Starbucks, I order either a small, medium, or large, depending on what I feel like (and how much money I have). And I've always gotten the smallest size if I asked for a small, the middle-sized one if I asked for a medium, and the largest size if I asked for a large. To hell with whatever stupid names they want to call their sizes, the rest of the civilized world understands small, medium, and large, and I'm not going to change just for some stupid overpriced coffee.

Sasha

Forum Chief
The one time I tried to order a medium hot chocolate from them the barista looked at me like I grew five heads and asked for him to feed me kittens.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
"Barista" is another word I refuse to use at Starbucks. Starbucks is an American company, and they are a coffee company, not a café. In fact, the full name of the company is "Starbucks Coffee Company" and they're from Seattle, Washington, so I'll skip the fancy Italian words. :)

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
when i am off work, i try and do things that don't remind me of work. due to i work for fire, i have to keep my on call pager with me 24/7. I spend time with my niece as much as i can, hit the mountains and camp/fish/hunt.

During the spring and summer, coach baseball. Winter-Ski and snowmobile... fall-its football season... there is always a game on tv :)

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
"Barista" is another word I refuse to use at Starbucks. Starbucks is an American company, and they are a coffee company, not a café. In fact, the full name of the company is "Starbucks Coffee Company" and they're from Seattle, Washington, so I'll skip the fancy Italian words. :)

I would just like to say at this point that not everything from WA is bad.