What do you carry? - The mega thread

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Is that in response to my post? The only thing visible on me is a Leatherman. Not sure what's lulzy.

Its a response to a lot of these posts. I enjoy it all the more due to the amount of new Basics I have come across lately. I'm seeing different sized flashlights along with multiple shears and hemostats; all on the same person.

Roy51

Forum Probie
Its a response to a lot of these posts. I enjoy it all the more due to the amount of new Basics I have come across lately. I'm seeing different sized flashlights along with multiple shears and hemostats; all on the same person.

One set of shears only, if I remember them. A two cell Surefire barely bigger than my middle finger... really. I have carried Surefires ever since I started winning them a number of years ago (as a non EMS certified FF in addition to an EMT, as well as on my own time, after dark). I've found them pretty useful, since NO ONE grabs the gigantic orange Streamlight box lights off the charger of an ambulance-only responding at night. Plus I get the CR123s elsewhere at no charge. BTW, that's all good and if we're splitting hairs and counting certification time, I've got over 5 years plus non-EMT time answering EMS calls in both the paid and volunteer fire service. As far as the Leatherman, it's easier for me to count the firemen (EMT/P or not) I know who don't carry a multitool of one variety or another than the vast majority who do, plus a separate folding blade.

Nevertheless, how does it reflect on you to deride eager, young new members of your profession? How about welcoming them to the profession, silly accessories and all? They will learn what is useful and what is not.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
It is one of the many things in life I find humorous. It's quite possible others may see me as ill-prepared in that I do not carry anything. Some may think it quite.....humorous.

:rolleyes:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
What's the deal with the non-911-BLS-IFT-only crews that carry all the add-ons? Shears, hemostats, bandage scissors, pen light, tape, gloves, oxygen wrench etc etc etc...

Expecting to strip and flip grandma when shuffling her back and forth from the nursing home? Or perhaps praying that they run across an errant fender bender where they can look fancy-awkward while they fumble through an "assessment" while waiting for the real 911 providers to show up?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What's the deal with the non-911-BLS-IFT-only crews that carry all the add-ons? Shears, hemostats, bandage scissors, pen light, tape, gloves, oxygen wrench etc etc etc...

Expecting to strip and flip grandma when shuffling her back and forth from the nursing home? Or perhaps praying that they run across an errant fender bender where they can look fancy-awkward while they fumble through an "assessment" while waiting for the real 911 providers to show up?

We have one BLS IFT company that carries pouches the size of fanny packs full of stuff.

Kevinf

Forum Captain

Why on earth are gloves in that list? If you are doing transport full time you're going to want a pocket crammed full of as many gloves as fit. Secondly, as far as my company goes; 90% of our employees have/do run 911/fire (or both). They are the ones you see carrying all the "add-ons".

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

Because dialysis patients never crap out, and all 911 providers are awesome at assessments right? I mean I could never imagine a non-911 provider being more competent than an all-mighty Firemedic :rolleyes:

I'm not often on a truck anymore but when I am it's a CCT truck that doesn't do any 911. I have a fair bit of stuff on my person, much more than when I did 911 simply because I've found I'm more likely to need it. Want to make fun of me while I take an overflow dialysis run? Go for it. Call me when you start managing an IAPB patient who's on a vent and 9 infusions, and we'll see who's awkwardly stumbling through what.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Because dialysis patients never crap out, and all 911 providers are awesome at assessments right? I mean I could never imagine a non-911 provider being more competent than an all-mighty Firemedic :rolleyes:

I'm not often on a truck anymore but when I am it's a CCT truck that doesn't do any 911. I have a fair bit of stuff on my person, much more than when I did 911 simply because I've found I'm more likely to need it. Want to make fun of me while I take an overflow dialysis run? Go for it. Call me when you start managing an IAPB patient who's on a vent and 9 infusions, and we'll see who's awkwardly stumbling through what.

But your not a IFT only BLS provider as what was stated. I highly doubt there is a system that will send a vent patient with 9 infusions BLS.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
But your not a IFT only BLS provider as what was stated. I highly doubt there is a system that will send a vent patient with 9 infusions BLS.

The point was the divisive editorializing was uncalled for. Looking down on BLS IFT providers as fumbling idiots when he actually knows nothing of their background (like I said, our CCT truck still takes dialysis at times) is a douche move. Instead of slamming them, maybe he should up the level of his game to make himself feel important.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
There are also IFT units that work in the 911 system for surge I'm between transfers

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
I carry:

IN TOP POCKETS
My phone
My wallet
Headphones
Cell Phone

IN BOTTOM SIDE POCKETS
1 pair of shears
1 penlight/pupil gauge
1 Knife
A couple pairs of gloves
1 flashlight
1 CPR mask
1 field guide
At least 3 BioHazard bags
Sometimes a stethoscope

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
Besides my cell phone, wallet, and keys, I carry:

Radio
1-2 pairs of gloves
Notepad
Shears
Penlight
Pens
Scope
Small flashlight
Hat/tissues/chapstick in the colder weather

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I carry cellphone, pen, wallet, chapstick (it is really dry where I am at), mints, car keys, and about four different IDs for all the areas that I go so I can get access to the sites. And of course a portable radio for when I leave our office.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Cell phone.. Everything else is in the kit..

With that said, my part time "fun job" in critical care involves very little room to access anything. At that job I carry the following (from top to bottom);

Penlight, pen, carpuject, carabiner, narc keys
Reusable ear protection for me
Safety glasses
Mini permanent marker
2pr gloves
Cell phone (iphone to be exact with a few useful cct apps)
1cc,3cc,5cc,10cc,20cc syringes
2-3 10cc saline flushes
Several needles
Several alcohol preps and 2x2s
Disposable earplugs for PT
Stethoscope

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's funny, the crap I have in my pockets seems to ebb and flow like the tides.

Currently, I'm finding that a small notebook is my best friend. I also shove an extra IV start kit and an end tidal nasal cannula in my leg pocket. I find I use both of these pretty often.

I have a little flashlight and leatherman on my portable radio strap. I also use them pretty often.

I keep Carmex, an iPhone cable, a fleece hat and my leather petzl gloves in the pocket of my jacket. Also handy to have.

And the other usual crap. Pager, iPhone, radio, shears, a knife and wallet.

I know it sounds like a lot, but the flight suits have a lot of pockets and I never feel like a pack mule.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Notepad (but only the kind they sell at CVS, they're the best)
Shears
Gloves
PENS! I swear I must carry half a dozen on me at any time. I always seem to be losing them and forgetting where I put them down, so I always have a bunch on me.

And what is the fascination with people carrying knives? I have never once, in all my years and all the different agencies that I've worked for, had a need for one.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
And what is the fascination with people carrying knives? I have never once, in all my years and all the different agencies that I've worked for, had a need for one.

There's no other way to open apple juice cups at the hospital. The glue on those things rivals gorilla glue. But aside from that it has no practical work use.