what do u do with ridealongs??

Joe

Forum Captain
So our station is in one of the busiest areas of la county. We get alot of ride alongside. I find myself not having them do enough and I can tell they get bored. So... what do u do with your 3rd riders?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Whatever you usually do, just have the student do it...

Pretty straight forward?

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Let them do all your vitals, then double check them. Let them do their skills and try to give them pointers. I let them try to map to calls (we don't pay attention to them, but it keeps them busy). Let them Decon and resheet after calls and they love it, plus you can give pointers like prepping with tape and bandages already opened and ready to go and that's about it.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
The most important help you can provide a ridealong student is insight into what you're thinking, why you did or said what you did, and what you also could have said or done, plus what would have definitely been the wrong thing to do or say.

To maximize the student's experience, expanding on the calls you run is so imperative.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
EMT student? Get the vitals, do a basic assessment. TALK TO THE PATIENT.

Paramedic student? Have them run the call as if I wasn't there, and only step in if something is needed (obviously not letting care suffer)

After each call, explain why I did or did not do something, my thought process, etc etc, to help them further understand the why aspect of calls.

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
I just did my 4th ride along as an AEMT student...my preceptor lets me pretty much do everything that isn't an advanced skill. The student should have a check off sheet on what they need to complete for National Registry so tell them to pull out there sheet and get to it!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
The most important help you can provide a ridealong student is insight into what you're thinking, why you did or said what you did, and what you also could have said or done, plus what would have definitely been the wrong thing to do or say.

To maximize the student's experience, expanding on the calls you run is so imperative.

This is really good advice. It's very easy to teach someone to ape your skills. The tricky part is teaching them them why to do something.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Start of shift: go over what they can and cant do, go over where everything is on the ambulance and what each thing is used for. Have them practice all the normal stuff they are going to be doing such as stripping out an IV bag or getting a saline lock ready.

After calls talk to them about it call. See if they have any questions. Explain to them why we did what we did.

While posting I will make up scenarios for the students.

Also while posting I will have them go hands on with all their EMT skills.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Forum Captain
Thanks for all the responses! I never thought of having them strip out bags and locks Haha. I pretty much had them cutting tape and vitals. Next step is to show them how to do paperwork hahaha

awesomemedic

Forum Probie
I start by going over what they do or do not feel comfortable with. Then go over my routine and what I expect my partner to do. On calls I make sure to verbalize most of my thoughts so they can see the process of an assessment. I can get through the ABCs in 5 seconds of talking to the patient but the student needs to know that I always start with that. I find that helps the most. And then after calls we go over everything from assessment to treatment to my list of differential dx and my final probable diagnosis. And we discuss any questions anyone has, myself, my partner or the student. I try to learn from my students also because we all see things differently.

And, of course, make them wash the truck at the end of shift.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Ask Jon what we do with ridealongs in Sussex.

...we sit and chilll until the end of the shift and then get crazy running calls til 2 hours past EOS!

:)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Paramedic student? Have them run the call as if I wasn't there, and only step in if something is needed (obviously not letting care suffer).

So do you guys get random draws on medic students? Have a different one every time or is it The same student all the time?

We are assigned a single preceptor and only ride with that preceptor so they can get comfortable with us and our abilities as well as watch our progression and spot weaknesses that need to be worked on. We are listed and rostered on their shift line, issued PPE, and expected to be there every day of their shift unless you have a good reason not to be.

Everyone pretty much covered what we do with EMT students already. I try to involve them as much as they want to be involved but if they want to be a wallflower I'm not going to force them to participate. If that's the case it's stand back and out of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Thanks for all the responses! I never thought of having them strip out bags and locks Haha. I pretty much had them cutting tape and vitals. Next step is to show them how to do paperwork hahaha

If my third rider (new hire, not student) resists learning how to do paperwork I usually just eat them for a lunch. Makes them less of a burden for the rest of the shift.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If my third rider (new hire, not student) resists learning how to do paperwork I usually just eat them for a lunch. Makes them less of a burden for the rest of the shift.

pacman_nom_by_aurorawolfa-d2zom2n.jpg

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I need to work on my proofreading. "Eat them for a lunch." Really, a lunch? I swear I only have one a day!

More seriously, I always ask the thirds to fire away with the questions. I'd rather answer them and train them right the first time then kick myself later for not going over something during their third time.

Anjel

Forum Angel
EMT student? Get the vitals, do a basic assessment. TALK TO THE PATIENT.

THIS. And I swear to God if i get one more student that just sits and stares at the patient, I am going to snap.

I had a lady stroking out in front of me. She was scared to death. It was text book. Her arm dropped, then her eye, then her speech was gone. I told the student to comfort her while I called the ER. She sat in the jump seat and did nothing. Then stayed in the truck when we took her in. Said she didn't want to get in the way. GRRR.

/rant.

Start of shift: go over what they can and cant do, go over where everything is on the ambulance and what each thing is used for. Have them practice all the normal stuff they are going to be doing such as stripping out an IV bag or getting a saline lock ready.

After calls talk to them about it call. See if they have any questions. Explain to them why we did what we did.

While posting I will make up scenarios for the students.

Also while posting I will have them go hands on with all their EMT skills.

I will do all this while posting. We seem to be banished to no mans land lately.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
THIS. And I swear to God if i get one more student that just sits and stares at the patient, I am going to snap.

I had a lady stroking out in front of me. She was scared to death. It was text book. Her arm dropped, then her eye, then her speech was gone. I told the student to comfort her while I called the ER. She sat in the jump seat and did nothing. Then stayed in the truck when we took her in. Said she didn't want to get in the way. GRRR.

/rant.

I will do all this while posting. We seem to be banished to no mans land lately.

Do you at least share the rum with them?;)

Sent from my Android Tablet using Tapatalk

Anjel

Forum Angel
Do you at least share the rum with them?;)

Sent from my Android Tablet using Tapatalk

It definitely could of helped lol

but it was gone then too

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

I hate posts like that. Maybe it's me being new but I'd rather run calls steadily thought the day. Not be stupid busy just steady. Makes the day go by faster.

I by no means want people to get sick or injured, i just want to be there when it happens ;)