What Can I Do Now?

Beanie

Forum Probie
I'm 15 and LORD-willing headed to being at least a CFR.
What can I do now to prepare for that?
I'm already devouring every human anatomy book I can get my hands on and my sister gives me reviews from time to time, but I want to do more, if I can.
Also, do FDs hire just EMTs, or only FF/EMTs?
Oh, and one more q! :) How old do I have to be to become a CFR?
Thanks! :)

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome to the forum! Where are you from? I have never heard of CFR, but I guessed right at it being Certified First Responder. I hear it more often as Emergency Medical Responder.

About Fire hiring, it varies by department in so many ways. Some require nothing at all, some require Fire certifications, and some require EMT or even Paramedic for certain positions, let alone experience. Fire is a diverse community, and it seems the more diverse your resume is the more likely you are to be picked up.

I'm not sure about certification, but I know you cannot be licensed in Texas as an EMR (let alone EMT and up) unless you are 18. You can take courses (depending on the school's policy) and even test, but you can't receive licensure until you are a legal adult. Even if that varied by state, it would be in a company's best interest to not hire minors for such a position, simply due to liability and the overcomplication of it all.

I took my EMT course the summer after my senior year in HS, and I was 18. That said, one of my classmates who was a year behind me in HS was also in the class, despite not having her diploma or being 18 (surpassing school policy), so obviously some schools will work things out. She still could not be licensed until she was 18 though.

Get your CPR if you haven't already, and maybe even consider CPR Instructor if you are able. Gives you something to do. Take a look at any volunteer departments or teams in your area, as they may be more lax on the whole minor/adult issue, or enough so to at least teach you something.

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
Consider taking it further than immediately becoming a fire fighter. If you're that interested in biology, take a look at colleges in your state with a good bio, pre-med or nursing program.

The higher your terminal degree the more options you'll have later in life.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Depending on where you're at, ride alongs and volunteer agencies are some great ways to get experience early on. A lot of fire depts around here have explorer programs as well that you could join now. Gets you experience in the culture and exposure to everything they do, and is a great way to decide if that's what you want to commit yourself to.

OP
OP
Beanie

Beanie

Forum Probie
Thanks, y'all! :)
Grimes, I'm from the south - can you tell? ;D
I asked my local FD if they have any Explorer or Cadet programs, but sadly they don't... I'll have to look into doing a ride-along. Sounds fantastic! :)

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks, y'all! :)
Grimes, I'm from the south - can you tell? ;D
I asked my local FD if they have any Explorer or Cadet programs, but sadly they don't... I'll have to look into doing a ride-along. Sounds fantastic! :)

Didn't even think of that. I'd try EMS or even Law Enforcement for a Boy Scout's Explorer program. I know ATCEMS has one, I'm sure there are others. If nothing else, yeah, ride-alongs will at least give you a chance to talk with some professionals and get a look (less feel) of the profession. Good luck!

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Also, try your less than local departments, particularly the larger metro ones, and you'll have a better shot of finding an explorer program.
Also some hospitals will let you volunteer under 18. You won't be doing patient care, but you'll be around it and that exposure itself will make you more comfortable once you're in a patient care setting.

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
Most states have a different standard when it comes to age. Many insurance companies dictate that as well. It really depends on where you are and what the norm is in the area.