What call do you absolutely hate?

harold1981

Forum Lieutenant
For me it's the 3 A.M. GI-bleed. I just can't take the smell at that time of the night.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The Refusal.

Just a pain in the *** and waste of time and resources to start with. And if documented properly, can be more laborious than a regular report.

OP
OP
H

harold1981

Forum Lieutenant
The 7th drunk call of the weekend nightshift, where everyone seems to find the situation so funny that they need to take pictures and record videos for facebook.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
There is a facility we often go to for people with severe developmental issues. Pretty much all of them are GCS 8 at baseline, none of the nurses know anything about any of the patients (who have PMH/med/allergy lists that are multiple pages long.... handwritten), the patients all have pneumonia on a monthly basis because they sit there aspirating saliva all day, 75% have contracted extremities and are difficult to get IV's into. The only time the patient will show any signs of humanity is when you're trying to start an IV, they'll use more strength than you expect to pull their arm away or maybe flail around a little.

Then we catch a load of crap from the hospital for not having a good story, not having an IV started, etc.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I dislike the typical BS like N/V, diarrhea, typical flu or cold, etc., especially from younger people. I've never at a point in my life, even prior to EMS, would have thought to call 911 when I felt like ****. I especially get frustrated when they have a family member that is perfectly capable of bringing them to the hospital call us.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
For me it's the 'mental emotional' calls. I can handle bodily fluids of any kind from any orifice, burns, trauma, injured kids, pg women who may or may not make it to the hospital delivery room.... but I just never know what to say the person who's sitting there (often but not always under the influence of some sort of chemical) telling me how they don't want to live, how everything in their life is awful, etc. It's not that I don't "care", I do and I genuinely want for them to feel better, I just never know what to say. Like anything that I could possibly say for the few minutes I see them between showing up on-scene and delivering them to whatever hospital's psych intake is open could make any difference. I can't question the full truth behind their statements/feelings, as I know nothing about them or their circumstances, they could be delusional and making it all up, they could be telling the stone cold full truth, or any shade of gray inbetween. All I can do is listen, document, and try to maintain calm.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The "I'm hurt, I'm hearing voices, I want a box meal, and I won't tell you about any of it until morning..."

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Meal tray and Sierra mist, stat.
Actually that one ended up pretty much like this: "You are medically OK, you won't talk to mental health, we're not a hotel, here's a lunch box and there's the door."

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Pediatric calls. Any and all calls involving pediatric patients.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I am no fan of colostomy bag issues/lack of connectivity. Also, late night transfers from the local hospital to the floor of a real hospital. Just let the patient sleep in the ED till I don't know maybe not 330 in the damn morning. I dislike waking up patients, loading them, making the forty minute drive, and then putting them in a new bed where they will not be seen by anyone but the nurse until morning. I hate it, the patient despises it, and the receiving facilities are not pleased. The sending, well they're all happy they can go back to sleep now that the ED is empty.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I am no fan of colostomy bag issues/lack of connectivity.

Word.

Big bari's, big as in I'm concerned about the bed. Just the jerks though. Some folks are honestly sorry and do whatever they can to help providers, but others could care less; they get treated well no matter what, might as well be lazy about it...

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Gunshots: messy and usually too many chiefs and not enough indians. Where was all this help on my combative diabetic?