What are the chances?

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but here goes:

About two months ago, I got a pretty severe headache. It felt like my brain was swelling and my skull was too small. I went to the ER by day three of nonstop pain and was given Dilaudid, which got rid of the pain, but not the pressure. I went to a chiropractor thinking it was structural, but the adjustments got rid of the pressure, but not the pain. I finally went to my primary doctor and was given migraine meds to no avail. I went through CT scans of my neck, sinuses, and brain, MRIs and MRAs with and without contrast on my brain, and everything came back normal. No aneurysms, meningitis, or encephalitis. When my primary doctor was left scratching his head, he referred me out to a neurologist. By this point, I had lost my vision. After a quick exam, the neuro advised I get to a hospital ASAP and get a lumber puncture.
I blew the gauge because my CSF pressure was so high. I saw a neuro-ophthalmologist and was told my vision was at 200/300 and my optic nerves were off the charts swollen. I was then told to head down to a different hospital for neurosurgery where I had a VP shunt installed in my brain. My condition was pseudo tumor cerebri, a form of intracranial hypertension.
My central vision is back to 20/25, but I have little to no peripheral vision. Because the optic nerves were damaged, my vision may never return to normal. And this isn't something that corrective lenses can help because it's not a "reflective issue," as the ophthalmologist says.

I was studying for my EMT license when this happened. My surgery was a little over a month ago and I'm just now getting to the point where I think I can try driving again, but I don't go long distances. I definitely can't drive at night.
My father, who worked in the EMS field for 30+ years, pretty much says that my dreams are dashed. That I can pretty much kiss EMS and fire rescue good bye. But he never wanted me to follow this career choice in the first place. Not wanting his "baby girl" to see all the horrors he'd seen and all that.
But an EMT friend says having no peripheral shouldn't affect my becoming an EMT/Paramedic. She recently had eye trauma and has no peripheral out of one of her eyes. But that's one eye. Both of my eyes are affected as far as peripheral goes. Some days are better than others.

My question to you guys is this: What do you think my chances of being hired are if I go through with my training?
This job is my dream, and I'm still studying and drilling myself every day for my license. I want to become a paramedic as well. But no one will ever hire me, why waste the money on that training when I should regroup and focus my attention elsewhere, you know? I'm asking here because you all are mostly in the field, and have been for a while. I would appreciate feedback if you can give it.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
This completely depends on your ability to drive. Other people have recently asked about "attendant only" positions in certain companies, which may or may not be available but certainly make things more difficult.

If it were me, I'd figure out what my driving capabilities were first. I'm not certain how comfortable I would be driving with no peripheral vision at all, but I don't know if any of it is likely to come back to you or if you are going to be perfectly capable of driving normally soon. If you are able to drive and pass an employment physical (typically testing your visual acuity and peripheral vision), this shouldn't prevent you from working in EMS.

One big challenge at a time though. Focus on your own health and visual rehab, get back into the swing of driving safely, ensure you can drive at night, and then return to studying for a career in EMS if you so desire. Best of luck.

OP
OP
L

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
I figured.
One thing I loved about riding on rigs was that it was a constant change of scenery. I don't like being stuck inside too long.
But according to my field of vision tests, my peripheral is coming back slowly. VERY slowly. It may never be the same or back to 100%, but I'm still hoping. :)

reaper

Working Bum
My daughter has same issue. Once shunt was placed, her peripheral vision slowly returned to near normal. Finish school and see where your at with your vision.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I would say driving is out of the question on an ambulance. For the simple reason of not being able to pass a dl-51. But an attendant only position may be possinle, based on a physical disability. Its always worth asking.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
For the simple reason of not being able to pass a dl-51.
I believe California is the only one that requires a dl 51 (medical examiner cert) and an ambulance driver license. Most other states, if not all, don't have any additional requirements other than having a state driver license.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I believe California is the only one that requires a dl 51 (medical examiner cert) and an ambulance driver license. Most other states, if not all, don't have any additional requirements other than having a state driver license.
Really? I could've sworn other states required the medical, but it is very possible I'm not remembering correctly

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Cali is the only state that I know of that requires that kind of medical.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I apologize the dl-51 is apparently only for CA I had a senior moment.

Under Florida law though, would you feel comfortable swearing under oath you have no physical disabilities that impair your driving? That would be a personal decision.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Some states require drivers to get a DOT physical. The OP would be disqualified there too. NM requires all EMS drivers to get one, for instance (required by NMPRC).

OP
OP
L

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
My peripheral vision has come back enough to where I can drive during the day. I'm not too comfortable driving at night yet, so I don't.
But I'm not giving up on this. I really appreciate all the input. Every day I get a little better, so I'm staying positive. :)

I have bad eyesight, a VP shunt as well (3 malfunctions in the last 3 years requiring surgeries), and currently work in a busy urban/rural 911 service.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
If you can pass the required tests, don't bring it up.

Lots of people bring dangerous and ****ty attitudes to work every day; there is currently no pre-employment test for this.

Your symptoms will be (generally) predictable and you can learn to work around them.

OP
OP
L

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
Apparently, my VP shunt is a newer version of technology.
I've got a nice lump on my head where the valve is, but as my hair grows back, it becomes harder and harder to notice.
My neuro cleared me for fire academy. With the valve being right under my scalp, I was worried about what extreme heat might do to it, but my doctors have all given me green lights.
I can even drive at night now, but am sticking to unpopulated back roads.
Progress is progress. I'm happy to report constant improvement. :)