Went to a 3 alarmer last night for rehab

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Interesting scene... Golf Cart store went up.
30 Engines/Rescues/Supports on scene.
Building still stood... FFs said it was like an oven in there. Couldn't ventilate. When they tried walking across the roof they said it was like a sponge. They didn't feel safe up there and at one point evacuated the building for a fear of the roof collapsing.

Total onscene time was over 5 hours. Long time for such a small building. Lots of big, heavy obstacles inside.

That is all.

(my worst written post ever)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Wow. Sounds exciting, I actually watched a house burn down last week. First time I saw one up close and personal, I've never really seen anything like it.

Was everyone ok?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Chimpie

you had 30 (read;THIRTY) seperate vehicles at ONE structure?

~S~

VinBin

Forum Captain
How do firefighters decide NOT to go into a burning house? Is there some set criteria? Of course, other than the obvious signs that the building is falling apart.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Stevo said:
Chimpie

you had 30 (read;THIRTY) seperate vehicles at ONE structure?

~S~
Yes, that is correct. 30. Half of the county's engines were on scene.... and this is a BIG COUNTY!

13 Engines,
7 Rescues (Ambulances),
1 Heavy Rescue,
8 Support Service Units,
1 Tanker.

Why the tanker was there I have no idea but it was.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
VinBin said:
How do firefighters decide NOT to go into a burning house? Is there some set criteria? Of course, other than the obvious signs that the building is falling apart.

It's a Risk vs Reward type of thing. Any time you enter a burning structure, there are some pretty severe risks involved. These have to weighed against what you hope to gain by making entry. If there is little gain (i.e. rescue of the injured), it is sometimes hard to justify taking the risks. It is a situational decision that must be made by the IC, based upon the risks, rewards, experience (of everyone on scene), and what they believe the fire is going to do.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Ahh, the Red Cross. I can remember never being so happy to see them show up at one of our fires. 12 hour on scene time. Red Cross got there about hour number 3 and stayed until daylight.

You guys do good work.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
EMTPrincess said:
Ahh, the Red Cross. I can remember never being so happy to see them show up at one of our fires. 12 hour on scene time. Red Cross got there about hour number 3 and stayed until daylight.

You guys do good work.
Thanks. We try to be there within an hour of being notified. We're trying to get it set up so that if there's smoke showing we're called.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Did that tanker have drinking water.... maybe?? B)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Chimpie said:
No, that's why we were there. :D

WHAT!! :blink: No Gatorade?? Our branch always has Gatorade.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
EMTPrincess said:
WHAT!! :blink: No Gatorade?? Our branch always has Gatorade.
I was just replying to his comment.

We had water, gatorade, coffee, and hot chocolate. This plus tons of snacks, candy bars, beef jerkey, crackers, peanuts, etc.

If this had happened either earlier in the evening or later in the morning we would have arranged for dinner or breakfast (respectively) for the guys and gals.

firegal920

Forum Probie
Around here, the local ambulance co. has a rehab that has supplies that are billed to the fire department in charge of that jurisdicition. And if you don't have at least 8 tankers on scene, you won't have enough water to fight the fire. Typical fire around here is 3 engines, 2 support vehicles (IC and BC), 1 ladder (if it is running), 8 tankers or more, one air truck (to refill SCBA bottles), one ambulance and the rehab unit. We only just got the red cross in our area, and they assist with finding habitat and clothes for house fires. any thing else and we are on our own.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
We do rehab as the 3rd service EMS in the area. We support 3 Departments in our 1st run. We have the "kore kooler" chairs (Ice bucket arms), and several cold-water mister fans. We have a freezer with ice in the engine bay, as well as bottled water ready to go.

Also, we hit up WaWa for anything we need... pretzels, gatorade, sandwiches, etc. They will either bill us, or donate it. Works out.

Jon