Well...............

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
At least they recognized the need for clarification of "need of knowing and understanding " of physiology and more anatomy.

Realistically, it would had been more simple to remove the Advanced Level EMT and encompass it into the Basic Level, there is no difference except the IV and some basic med.'s (Glucagon, ASA, etc.) in which I am totally opposed to. Why continue to have multiple levels, when this could had been included into the program for a nominal few more hours.

Reviewing the Paramedic outline, all I can say is that it is a good start, and that is about all. Way too simplistic and definitely not in detail enough. Although this is rough outline, I am sure many will want to "whittle" it down instead of "beef" it up.

Pharmacology alone should consists of an outline, that is at least the same length as the document. Never say the least of cardiology and not even touching the aspect of critical care.

Now, the fun will be to see on how long this draft will go. How long before whiners and special interest groups begin talking it will take too long, costs, yadda, yadda on so own. Similar to the National Scope of Practice.

In general, the format can still be in one book...... a manual... which means it too simplistic.

R/r 911

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
In MA (which doesn't honor NR) in order to be an Intermediate you have to have worked as a Basic for a specific amount of time. So an intermediate just doesn't have "basic IV and a few extra meds", but rather also guarantees someone who has worked in the field for a certain amount of time.

This is so someone who comes right out of a class isn't starting IV's and trying to do slightly advanced techniques when they haven't even worked in the field mastering simple things like actually driving, paperwork, and BLS techniques.

EMT-I is seldom used here, and I don't necessarily agree with it either. I'm just trying to defend a purpose why it does exist. The best option would probably be what you said and have Basics do these advanced techniques, but at the same time have minimum required "hands on" training in the field.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
FYI, these are not NR standards as NREMT has no standards, they are only a testing agency. These are proposed National Standards, in which all states will have to either adopt or modify upon to.

R/r 911

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
It has opened for me, but it seems that the EMR portion hasn't be written yet. :(

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In MA (which doesn't honor NR) in order to be an Intermediate you have to have worked as a Basic for a specific amount of time. So an intermediate just doesn't have "basic IV and a few extra meds", but rather also guarantees someone who has worked in the field for a certain amount of time.

I dont know the requirements for intermediate in MA per se, (but I will look them up), but I know in MA, students right out of their basic class can go on to Paramedic school-- with no time restrictions or work requirements. Is the time requirement just for intermediate?

Thanks!