Volunteer or Career?

Is your "Home" squad Volunteer or Career?

• All Paid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paid 24/7 with volunteers providing system surge coverage

• Paid 24/7

• Paid 24/7 FF/EMT's with volunteers often on the ambulance

• Total voters

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Volunteer would mean "little or no pay" (IE: an incentive program with Galls gift certificates, with each shift or call being worth 1-2 dollars)

Paid-on-call would mean you are "on the clock" or paid something close to the going rate for EMT's while on a call (IE - you get a monthly check that gives you $10 a call)

Paid 24/7 with volunteers providing system surge coverage - volunteers come in if all paid crews are on calls, and take the reserve ambulance to a call.

Paid 24/7 FF/EMT's with volunteers often on the ambulance - FD-based service has ambulance, staff on station will respond with ambulance if no volunteers to take it, but volunteers are welcome to take it

Paid daytime crews, nighttime volunteers - Could also be paid Driver/EMT during the day with volunteer coverage

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Volunteer Stations: 6 People on the schedule per day, 3 per ambulance; Paid on Call - $15/call for Drivers; $30/call for EMT's.

ALS is 24/7

Medevac is 6am-10pm, 7 days a week. After 10pm they go by ground. Why? Who knows, maybe less traffic?

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Okay maybe I should have read the first post but I think I did alright. I marked the paid on call. We have a rotation of nights and if we go out during our "shift" we get paid $25. And the same with if we would happen to be intown and need additional help who ever showes up on scene and does pt care and that ends up on the run report is paid.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
There's no volunteering allowed in our EMS system because of liability. The Fire department does allow volunteers to a degree, but it's a ride along situation, you can't really volunteer to work.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We are a 3'rd party, paid 24/7, strictly EMS covering county & portins of neighboring communities. We have a 24/7 Fire as well theat runs F.R. There are local communites that have volle Fire with F.R. squad.

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
24/7 volunteer UNLESS we can't get a crew during the weekdays ( Mon - Fri 0700 - 1600 ) then paid FD maintenance staff will get the bus out

vtemti

Forum Captain
I voted "Paid on Call", but we are not paid monthly. Our pay is a yearly stipend amount depending on certification level. Definitely don't get rich at it.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Hard to answer.

Have 1 paramedic every other day who is paid and works 24 hour shifts. FF's and drivers and 2nd crew members are all volunteer. Its a little odd but it works for us.

Btw - don't get sick on the "off" day. LOL B)

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Everyone gets paid here. Volunteering is unheard of in the EMS system. We cant even do ride-alongs outside of a classroom setting. :angry:

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
All Vounteer.. 35 members

my best pay is when the pt. says thank you

there has been talk of goin pay in the next year or two.. if it ins. pay to cover transport ok.. if it's pay for members to respond.. I will stop running

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I put all volunteer even though we technically have two paid staff. The Fire Marshal and Fire Inspector are paid and do staff the ambulance during the day (in addition to their fire prevention responsibilities). But, because of the 9/80 schedule City staff work, they're only both on Tuesday-Thursday. On Mondays and Fridays, only one is on.

The rest are all volunteer. We have a few people who work in town (myself included) and can respond during the day. Several of us (myself included again) however, are not what you'd call "traditional" in-town employees. I work out of the house, but do have anywhere from 1-3 days a week that I'm out of town visiting clients, so even though I make MOST of the daytime calls, I'm not always around.

We do get a small stipend that works out to less than $300 a year, and yes, they take taxes out of it. There are also occasional paid opportunities (movie/TV film shoots, wildfire strike team calls, etc.) but those are above and beyond our normal responses.