Verification of status

Would you consider this as a possible change in membership classifications.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
AJ, look closer at my training status and look at the word Probie!! You do know what that is right?? It was meant as a joke. So to your statement, no this thread was NOT started by me in the first place.
I didn't say you started the thread. I said that people being put-off by your false and misleading training level claim is possibly what inspired the thread.

No, I don't know what a probie is. In over three decades in EMS, it is not a term that I have ever heard used, so I can only guess it's something you heard on Third Watch or something. Must be some local lingo that is not common to EMS nationwide. And regardless of what it means, having "EMT-P" listed as your level of training when you aren't even an EMT is no joke. Check your sense of humor, because it isn't working.

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I didn't say you started the thread. I said that people being put-off by your false and misleading training level claim is possibly what inspired the thread.

No, I don't know what a probie is. In over three decades in EMS, it is not a term that I have ever heard used, so I can only guess it's something you heard on Third Watch or something. Must be some local lingo that is not common to EMS nationwide. And regardless of what it means, having "EMT-P" listed as your level of training when you aren't even an EMT is no joke. Check your sense of humor, because it isn't working.

AJ, sorry for coming back so hard, I was dealing with another problem and I was taking it out on you and I am sorry for that.

Probie is a term used by firefighters to identify a probationary firefighter, or rookie in that US. I thought that it was a term that was used all over, even out side the US, but it looks like I am wrong.

Now that I know that I have done something that was misleading people, I will change it now to EMT-R for rookie. If there is a problem with that please let me know.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Wow. Thats really DUMB. This is a FREE ONLINE FOURM. Im not asking my captain to send you a fancy letter? ARe you out of your mind. If you dont agree with someone, ignore them. Do not make everybody waste their time to send you a stupid ID or letter? You do not have to be an ems provider to participate in this chat

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
AJ, sorry for coming back so hard, I was dealing with another problem and I was taking it out on you and I am sorry for that.
No offense taken, Man. I understood what you were getting at. It just seemed that you didn't see how the training level thing was being interpreted here, so I thought you should know. Good on you for understanding and addressing it.

If probie is a rookie (which is the term we used in my almost decade as a professional firefighter), well even a rookie has completed the requisite entry level of training, so an EMT probie or EMT-P probie would be actual EMTs or EMT-Ps, so again, I would avoid trying to play that word game for fear of others misunderstanding.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
All info, other that training level, displayed under the nickname (career/volunteer, 911/trasfer) will only lead to more discussions turning into ad hominem and/or career vs. volunteer rap battles. Don't we have enough of this already?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Do you know how much work that is going to make for the people running the forum. I say in the community rules, if you are not apart of the EMS and we find out by your poatung them you are out of here. To go all out and do all that is a bit much. Plus my school print out has a lot of personal information on there that I do want to be sending out.

While this is an EMS forum, it is by no means restricted to those working in EMS. We do get non-EMS personnel here occasionally, and most of these people are patients or patients relatives looking for information or advice. In addition, we do get a large number of people looking for information before they join EMS.

Would you exclude those people just because they can't provide a credential to join a forum?

[personal opinion only]And speaking for myself only, as CL, I do not want to have to wade through all of the credentials that would have to be submitted to verify their accuracy. I see no reason for this, other than to divide and segregate our members. [/end personal opinion]

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Agree with others ^

I should hope that members here are good enough judges of character and experience (as I often see in EMS personalities), that they can determine how much to trust each member here. If you cant get a good read on someone, then ignore them. There is no legislation forcing you to read and reason to every post here.
Despite the lack of training abound here (depending on your read of Rid et al), I hope the board is replete with common sense, as it is a necessary quality in EMS.

Hockey

Quackers
I'm on a few LE boards and they have verified LEO members. Thats totally different though from EMS. They have sections that are only for verified and only viewable by the verifieds.

IMHO not needed here. Its not like there are tactics or anything....

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics.

LE guys are great, I appreciate them a lot; but do they really think they have invented something that is so top secret nobody has tried it yet or couldn't figure it out?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
LE forums do hold a certain fascination for many individuals of "varied" interests. I could also see how professionals wanting to have a decent discussion could get annoyed that those that just want a hobby or have a "cops and robbers" fantasy. Considering the comments against the police that make the open comments section in the newspapers, one could only imagine what abuse would be possible on a public forum. But then, we have already seen a sampling of that on the EMS forums when the mood strikes to start a "let's bash LEOs, Security Guards or members of other medical professions" thread.

Many forums for the different medical professionals are closed to the public with access only by license number and/or membership to a professional organization. On these, your full name, title and place of employment are posted. There are no cute forum names used to remain anonymous. Whatever you post on these professional forums will be viewed by those you work with and supervisors. Whatever you say on the forums can and will/may be held against you. The same is true for public forums if your identity is known. When a background check is done by a potential employer or even a current employer for promotion, your internet activity may be part of their research into your past.

Hockey

Quackers
LE forums do hold a certain fascination for many individuals of "varied" interests. I could also see how professionals wanting to have a decent discussion could get annoyed that those that just want a hobby or have a "cops and robbers" fantasy. Considering the comments against the police that make the open comments section in the newspapers, one could only imagine what abuse would be possible on a public forum. But then, we have already seen a sampling of that on the EMS forums when the mood strikes to start a "let's bash LEOs, Security Guards or members of other medical professions" thread.

Many forums for the different medical professionals are closed to the public with access only by license number and/or membership to a professional organization. On these, your full name, title and place of employment are posted. There are no cute forum names used to remain anonymous. Whatever you post on these professional forums will be viewed by those you work with and supervisors. Whatever you say on the forums can and will/may be held against you. The same is true for public forums if your identity is known. When a background check is done by a potential employer or even a current employer for promotion, your internet activity may be part of their research into your past.

Sorry, I like my cute forum name ;) :p

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
i voted no cause then everyone would find out i'm not a real emt and i'd get kicked off. :rolleyes:

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
AJ, look closer at my training status and look at the word Probie!! You do know what that is right?? It was meant as a joke. So to your statement, no this thread was NOT started by me in the first place.

I thought jokes were supposed to be funny ???? :wacko:

medic417

The Truth Provider
How would you stop some one from printing up false credentials?

I am member of other sites where we do use our real names and people know who you are and what you know.

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain

Probie is a term used by firefighters to identify a probationary firefighter, or rookie in that US. I thought that it was a term that was used all over, even out side the US, but it looks like I am wrong.

Now that I know that I have done something that was misleading people, I will change it now to EMT-R for rookie. If there is a problem with that please let me know.

Having ANY form of EMT behind your name not followed by "student" is very misleading, if your not an emt, and not funny in any way....find some other way to humor yourself. THATS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT MAN.

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
How would you stop some one from printing up false credentials?

I am member of other sites where we do use our real names and people know who you are and what you know.

Why not look it up in the department of health, of that state...Dont all states have that ? Just pm them for their real name if theres a question. If they dont give it to you, call em out friend.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Having ANY form of EMT behind your name not followed by "student" is very misleading, if your not an emt, and not funny in any way....find some other way to humor yourself. THATS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT MAN.

Not all states have a way of searching databases of EMS providers.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
What would be the benefit of this idea? (Besides giving the CL's more to do)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What would be the benefit of this idea? (Besides giving the CL's more to do)

quit yer bellyaching and do some work the rest of us aren't paying for :p:)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Status
Not open for further replies.