Under what authority do EMRs act?

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
In one of my earlier posts I asked about why EMT/Paramedic licensure is a thing, and it turns out that laws encourage organizations to hire an individual trained to a standard and vetted, rather than just some guy who would be trained by the medical director.

Turning that around, in states (such as California) where EMR is not a recognized level of EMS certification, how do organizations such as CHP, some rural fire departments, and event medicine companies use EMR as their level of medical training? By the state not recognizing it, does it just mean that to operate at that level you don't need to go through the state for licensure, or does it mean that you CANNOT put on a band aid, do CPR, or take a blood pressure without being an EMT?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
b42b2a61cb5480bef695061abd6d4638601d2b518a2a3528e74aab1aa257b3f3.jpg

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have EMR protocols in my county of CA. We call it FR (First Responder).

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
In one of my earlier posts I asked about why EMT/Paramedic licensure is a thing, and it turns out that laws encourage organizations to hire an individual trained to a standard and vetted, rather than just some guy who would be trained by the medical director.

Turning that around, in states (such as California) where EMR is not a recognized level of EMS certification, how do organizations such as CHP, some rural fire departments, and event medicine companies use EMR as their level of medical training? By the state not recognizing it, does it just mean that to operate at that level you don't need to go through the state for licensure, or does it mean that you CANNOT put on a band aid, do CPR, or take a blood pressure without being an EMT?
Nj doesnt recognize anything below EMT. A FD got crushed by the DOH becuase they had patches that looked like the EMT patch but said "First Responder Certified NJ DOH"

People with that kind of training are basically Boy Scout level training and they are covered by the good Samaritan statute. What would a reasonable person do in the same circumstances.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I know of a dozen businesses in Washington state that employeed first responders. I know because I taught the Red Cross "emergency response" course. Most of these people were security guards or on the factory or industrial plant "emergency response team". Taught just below EMT with a big focus on Boy Scout style splints, CPR and shock "management".

Most of the non-EMT Search and Rescue guys took my class (or one like it)

It was also an entry point for prospective EMTs that were trying to get a leg up on the competition in the EMT class selection process.

Most of the large places that had a regular team of responders had a medical director that signed an RX for oxygen and the AEDs.