Type of poisoning where giving O2 is instanty fatal

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Was there ever an answer to the original question or are folks still going on about administering O2?

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Wait, I'm confused again :blink:

basically, doesn't paraquat accumulate in alveolar epithelial cells, and cause damage through a mechanism that generates oxygen free radicals?

And if that is the case, and o2 was administered, and if o2 is triplet o2, and is di radical, why wouldn't it couple with the radicals generated via the paraquat and terminate the radical process?

Or if O2 was singlet o2, which is a known ROS, still terminate radical polymerization?

By that way of thinking how can o2 be contraindicated in paraquat poisoning???:unsure:

It sure seems like o2 would "eat up" oxygen free radicals resulting from the paraquat?

I'm getting really nervous for my upcoming NREMT now....

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Welcome back Medic Rob!!!!!!

Anjel

Forum Angel

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
And the avatar...

Sasha

Forum Chief
I believe its lifeguards come back to eff with us. Medicrob would be smarter than that.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

crazycajun

Forum Captain
I believe its lifeguards come back to eff with us. Medicrob would be smarter than that.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Actually I think Medic Rob would not want to show he is too smart. It would be too obvious. I do thin Lifeguards is still floating around though. His post are usually very stupid.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
This thread is not to talk about people who have left the forum or who have been banned. Matter of fact no thread is. Do not accuse anyone of being someone else. If you have suspicions, please report them to the CLs and then leave it be.

One more off topic post and this thread is kaput.

Thank you.

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
Was there ever an answer to the original question or are folks still going on about administering O2?

Yep, I believe the answer was paraquat poisoning, a herbicide used on farms. It's still sold in Australia at least, it's mixed with diquat and sold as Sprayseed, a fairly cheap herbicide that will kill every plant it touches.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I was told by an instructor that highflow oxygen causes Vasoconstriction and that we should put Ischemic Stroke patients on Nasal Canulas instead of NRB. however thats not poisoning...

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I realize COPD is not a type of poisoning, but it was the best condition I could come up with.

:blush:

Neither COPD nor paraquat poisoning will be "instantly fatal" if you give oxygen. COPD patients are not harmed by short term high flow oxygen therapy in any meaningful way (other than the aforementioned free radical production, etc). The idea of hypoxic drive has been disproved time and time again.

It sure seems like o2 would "eat up" oxygen free radicals resulting from the paraquat?

I find your lack of basic chemistry and physiology knowledge disturbing.

I'm getting really nervous for my upcoming NREMT now....

LOL There won't be any questions about this on there.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
If the fairly miniscule amount of constriction that o2 generates is enough to block primary cerebral perfusion, your patient is going to die. The circle of Willis and the associated vasculature are large, high flow systems.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Who said anything about blocking primary cerebral perfusion? Blocking cerebral perfusion at any point can lead to permanent deficits. It isn't just about not killing your patients, but also about not increasing any deficit/damage they may have.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The circle of Willis and the associated vasculature are large, high flow systems.

But the circulation feeding the infarcted or injured area often are not. And if ICP is already increased it may not take that much to cut of circulation to the point of leading to large deficits/ more global secondary injury.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a "get to the OR... NOW" situation. I'm honestly not sure, though, what the mortality rate is.

~5% with surgery, about 95% within first year of life without it. It's not always a "GET TO THE OR....NOW" situation, although it's not something you want to **** around with.

04_edge

Forum Crew Member
Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) in a newborn, its not a poison, but its the only think i can think of that really has the potential for this to happen.

Presentation would be a cyanotic will low 02 sats, although because of the likely hood of this happening is VERY small, and recognizing it in the field even less, i would never withold 02 from a neworn. I did a research paper on it during paramedic school, i dont remember the exact reasoning, but basically the only thing keeping them alive is the defect itself, and 02 speeds up the closing of one of the openings in the heart and will not allow blood to flow into the lungs IIRC

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS)

i dont remember the exact reasoning, but basically the only thing keeping them alive is the defect itself, and 02 speeds up the closing of one of the openings in the heart and will not allow blood to flow into the lungs IIRC

that would be the patent ductus arteriosus. We discussed some about it earlier in the thread, though its not like an instant closure...