Turn over to hospital personnel

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I was always impressed with how the victim's friends do it at the ER.

Drive up with windows open, slow to five mph, roll victim out the door, scream "Hey, there's a guy dying out here!" then accelerate off in a cloud of blue smoke. Amazingly little paperwork.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Drive up with windows open, slow to five mph, roll victim out the door, scream "Hey, there's a guy dying out here!" then accelerate off in a cloud of blue smoke. Amazingly little paperwork.

thats how I roll.

mycrofft

That was you?

From a real incident.
A local "doc in the box" TWICE had detoxers left outside at night, but they didn't open until next morning.:ph34r:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

It's called the homeboy ambulance! Haven't you heard, they're hiring (hint to some CA EMTs).

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Every place is different. Most private hospitals couldnt give a :censored::censored::censored::censored: about what we have done or seen with the patient. Probably because they get a low volume of ambulance transports, do their best to reject us over the phone because they don't want to work.

The biggest public hospitals are probably the most respectful in listening to our handovers. I always laugh when we get dismissed or ignored by nurses during a hand over, who then have to chase us down after to ask questions.

I even did a handover today, where I stated "The pt has been given 3ml methoxyflurane and 5mg IV morphine. She obviously also has a cannula in". The nurse then said "Was the morphine IV or IM and how much did you give.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

You obviously interrupted her nap.

Or is the an American ex-pat?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Every place is different. Most private hospitals couldnt give a :censored::censored::censored::censored: about what we have done or seen with the patient. Probably because they get a low volume of ambulance transports, do their best to reject us over the phone because they don't want to work.

I find ward nurses to be most annoying (with the obvious exception of nursing homes etc). Like everyone else in hospital, they don't fart in less than 10 minutes and it kinda clashes with our "lets get this show on the road" attitude and they rarely have the information I want.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I find ward nurses to be most annoying (with the obvious exception of nursing homes etc). Like everyone else in hospital, they don't fart in less than 10 minutes and it kinda clashes with our "lets get this show on the road" attitude and they rarely have the information I want.

+1

Not to mention their always the ones who refuse to give you a peer-peer report and have a sealed envelope of info "you don't need" when doing a facility-facility transfer. Notable times I've had this issue include tele to bigger facility ICU and floor to cath lab! Plus, you can watch them ignoring you when you attempt to give report.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
+1

Not to mention their always the ones who refuse to give you a peer-peer report and have a sealed envelope of info "you don't need" when doing a facility-facility transfer. Notable times I've had this issue include tele to bigger facility ICU and floor to cath lab! Plus, you can watch them ignoring you when you attempt to give report.

You mean the same envelope I almost always opened right after they told me I didn't need to know what was inside of it?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
You mean the same envelope I almost always opened right after they told me I didn't need to know what was inside of it?

I usually open the envelope right in front of them to get the basic stuff, and then read through everything on the way. I don't think they've ever given me grief for it. I get that i'm not really giving report to the receiving facility on an IFT call, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know the patients medical history and medications in case something should happen on the way.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I love nursing home emergencies. Get called for the high temp. Arrive on the floor. The Nurses just point where the patient is. Pt is clearly going in resp failure. At this time the CNAs try and kick you out of the room so they can change the patient's diaper or something. The nurses aren't done with the paperwork and they want you to transport the patient to some community hospial 30 minutes away bypassing 3 closer hospitals, 2 of which are trauma center cause that is the patient's "preference".

And what report do the nurses give you? I just came on, its not my patient, I am covering for someone else and thats what the MD ordered.

mycrofft

They're bypassing because the pt's MD has no priviliges locally.

Maybe.

daj72

Forum Probie
And what report do the nurses give you? I just came on, its not my patient, I am covering for someone else and thats what the MD ordered.

It sounds just like in Denmark. :blink: It must be a contagious nursing home thing.!

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
It sounds just like in Denmark. :blink: It must be a contagious nursing home thing.!

Honestly nursing home nurses must work 30 minute shift or something.

The nursing home drill:
-Turn up (usually lights and sirens because they've reported a warped version of what was wrong with the pt).
-Wait outside the door or at reception for someone to direct you because there was nothing more than the nursing home address in the dispatch.
-The person who eventually comes, didn't know there was an ambulance coming and doesn't know who called it. (Honestly, the lay public, a bunch of perfect strangers, is almost always better at mobilising to provide first aid and direct us to the pt, than any nursing home I've ever been too).
-X minutes later we get a room number or someone comes to get us.
-The directions/room number is invariably wrong.
-Upon arriving we receive either a piss poor handover or are simply pointed at the pt and left (probably preferable)
-If there is someone there to answer questions they never know the answers because: (a) he/she is no usually their pt, or (b) they just came on, or (c) the seem perplexingly incapable of actually answering the question, ? arse covering, ? stupid.
-The pt invariably turns out to be completely fine (when we arrive lights and sirens), is seriously ill and has been grossly mismanaged usually for hours (when we arrive on a low priority)/is dead.
-We wait around for someone to find the files, print off transfer paperwork.
-We eventually treat/transport.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I love nursing home emergencies. Get called for the high temp. Arrive on the floor. The Nurses just point where the patient is. Pt is clearly going in resp failure. At this time the CNAs try and kick you out of the room so they can change the patient's diaper or something. The nurses aren't done with the paperwork and they want you to transport the patient to some community hospital 30 minutes away bypassing 3 closer hospitals, 2 of which are trauma center cause that is the patient's "preference".

One of my "favorites" is "weakness and lethargy"... That can mean anything, but usually it means one of two things. One is your patient is seriously septic and about to die. Two is your patient is your patient is actually having an MI and needs to go yesterday. Three, your patient is just about to die (because it's time) and they don't want the death on their books...

Another favorite is "failure to thrive" as that usually means that your patient now can't swallow and nobody noticed that the patient is actually having a CVA or the patient somehow now needs their G-Tube replaced two days ago.

The complaint is anything that isn't an emergency because that would mean the ambulance company would automatically turn the call over to 911... I don't know how many calls I've been on as an EMT that should have gone to 911 but didn't because the facility is just eye-sight distance away from the hospital and (most likely) calling 911 would make them look bad...

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Well rather than start a new thread, this sounds like a good spot. The other day I had a pedestrian hit by a truck (very slow moving truck). The ER obviously was very over hyped for this and should have been able to tell when we BLS'd the run that it wasnt serious. Pt had no relevant medical Hx and took no meds. The nurse however asked if he was a smoker.........Im new to EMS but this is not a pre-hospital question so why ask? He was young so maybe he is new as well

saskvolunteer

Forum Lieutenant
Our ER staff ask each new patient admitted to the ER if they smoke or drink. I thought it was a pretty common question asked to establish a patient hx.